Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
andrewjohnporter
My Device: 8320
My Carrier: 447795348863

Firmware update via BES - help please

Hi,

I've been asked to update the firmware on all my companies devices from our BES 4 SP7. From reading, I'm not sure whether this means the device software (version 5 the latest I think) or the OS (version 7 the latest I think). is required to be updated? What is the difference between these?

I was wondering where I get the software from, how I can add it to the BES and how I can deploy it wirelessly?

I imagine there are many old devices which the new firmware is not compatible. How can I find out which are compatible and which are not?

Thank for any help.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Firmware update via BES - help please

andrewjohnporter wrote:

I've been asked to update the firmware on all my companies devices from our BES 4 SP7. From reading, I'm not sure whether this means the device software (version 5 the latest I think) or the OS (version 7 the latest I think). is required to be updated? What is the difference between these?

Hey Andrew, just for starters to help you, let's agree on common terminology on BlackBerry devices.

The software on the handheld devices which runs the device, is known as the "device operating software". There is no "firmware" which you can control, edit or charge. Only the device operating system can be upgraded, downgraded or wiped.

So, where will you get the handheld device operating system software from... from your carrier, mostly likely.

And different model devices do carry different level OS releases. Like your 8320 you listed as your model here in your profile, will be OS4.5, a new 9900 model will have OS7.1

Your first job... find what all models you need to upgrade. There is device OS software for all the current models and even the older (like your 8320) discontinued models.

Where do you want to start?

You have your mobile phone number listed as your "My Mobile Provider" or carrier. Putting your phone number out on the internet on these public forums for the world to see, is not wise. To change that, at the top of this page click on My Settings > Personal Profile > Personal Information, and in the entry block for "Carrier" type the name of your mobile provider.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrewjohnporter

Hi,

Thanks for this.

You said that the firmware doesn't exist and would actually be the OS that needs upgrading. In that case, what is the device software?

We have 10-15 different blackberry's. The most common one is the 8520 which has a platform version of 5.2.0.67 (is this the OS version?).

I'll google and look through for all the latest OS's for each phone and try to get it from the carrier. Once I have this how do I add it to the BES and then push it out wirelessly?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

andrewjohnporter wrote:

You said that the firmware doesn't exist and would actually be the OS that needs upgrading. In that case, what is the device software?

Device Software = Device Operating System. Same thing.

Firmware is installed AT the factory, can't be changed or edited.

andrewjohnporter wrote:

We have 10-15 different blackberry's. The most common one is the 8520 which has a platform version of 5.2.0.67 (is this the OS version?).

Who is the carrier?

In the OS file, you'll see something like this:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.1728 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 5.0.0.1728
Consisting of:

• Applications: 5.0.0.1067
  • Software Platform: 5.2.0.96
  • File name: 8520wifiM_PBr5.0.0_rel1728_PL5.2.0.96_A5.0.0.1067_ AT_T.exe
  • File size: 125.47MB

The "applications version" number is what we routinely refer to as the OS release. Use that number as a reference.

This above, from AT&T is the latest release for the 8520, and can be installed on any carriers 8520.

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link below for the download, and follow these simple installation instructions.

Download here:  https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." (You might have another Vendor.xml file hiding on your computer. Open Windows Explorer and under the Organize button (on Windows 7, there are similar tools for Vista and XP) click on "Folder and search options." Under the View tab, make sure that your computer is set to show hidden folders and files. Once you've done this, search your C:\ drive for "Vendor.xml".)
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

**Starting with the later OS6 releases, there are now three copies of VENDOR.XML
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (for 32-bit Windows XP/Vista/7)
==========OR============
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader (for 64-bit Windows Vista/7)
C:\Documents and Settings\*name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
C:\Documents and Settings\*name*\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML
You can also just search for VENDOR.XML. Make sure that you choose ADVANCED SEARCH and include hidden files. It should show the file in at three locations. Delete every copy that it finds.

Note: Some users might worry they will void their device warranty by loading an OS from another carrier. There is really nothing to worry about. Please read more information on that here: http://www.port3101.org/power-users/296-blackberry-os-upgrade-including-betas-myths-dispelled.html

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders

andrewjohnporter wrote:

Once I have this how do I add it to the BES and then push it out wirelessly?

Can't be done by pushing it to the device.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrewjohnporter

Thanks for all the info.

Who the carrier is, is a good question. The company have changed carrier a few times so it could be, BT, O2 or Vodafone. Where can I see the info you said about on the device or the BES?

We were looking to push the OS wirelessly from the BES. I assum that this wireless install of the OS isn't clever enough to backup and restore the device itself and it would have to be done manually via blackberry desktop?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you can have BES allow the OS upgrades but not really push it.

this process takes a few hours as well and I have seen some get corrupt, not so bad with BES since it does a backup Over The Air

I allow users to upgrade manually or OTA, their choice but have warned them of the issues that can happen with out a backup of thier data.

good info here

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Wireless Software Upgrades - 4.1.7 - Administration Guide -- 1  

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vin_623384
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

hI all involved in this thread,

I have ben reading this thread very closely as I am in a similar situation as the other person.

I have been asked by my boss  to look at upgrading the OS version of the blackberry handsets in the network over OTA.

We are currently on the Vodafone UK network. The majority of our handsets are BB bold 9780 but also have 9700, 9900, 9780, curve 8520 etc.

We have been currently upgrading the OS manually on handsets using the following link before deploying them to users .

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=1141938BA2C2B13F5505D7C424EBAE5F

Again, we would like to be able to do this OTA rather than manuallu using a USB and laptop. Is this possible, or are only software upgrades possible to do this way?

We are currently runng BES version 5 SP3.

Thanking you in advance.

Vin :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

look at page 20

BlackBerry Device Software - 5.0.3 - Update Guide -- 28

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vin_623384
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi Knotty Rope,

Many thanks for the information regarding firmware upgrades

Have managed to upgrade my BB Bold 9780 from Software bundle 2475 to bundle 2647 (6.0.0.600)

As our carrier is Vodafone this look like the latest firmware OTA update that can be performed.

The next bundle up would be 6.0.0.2949 application 6.0.0.668 - which is not available on the BES Server when looking under 'Search for new wireless Blackberry device software bundles'

Any support on this matter would be most appreciated.

Regards

Vin 

Please use plain text.