Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Developer
jyee
My Device: Not Specified

Gmail Plug-in Contact - Force sync?

I have a google apps account (standard edition) and have successfully added the email address to my 9700. I have turned on Contacts synchronization in the email account settings and my contacts have successfully synchronized. I did not install google Sync. I am only using the Gmail Plug-in

I was wondering if anyone knows how long or how often the contact list gets synchronized? One thing that I have noticed is that whenever I make changes on my device or on my desktop, it takes time for the changes to synchronize. The time can be anywhere from immediately to hours.

One thing that I did notice is that adding or updating a contact on the Device will sync that contact to the desktop browser very quickly (device to desktop)

The reverse is not true (desktop to device). But I did notice that receiving an email sometimes triggers the desktop to device sync. I was making a bunch of changes on the desktop and wanted to wait and see how long it took for the device to sync. I waited over an hour and nothing happened. Then I decided to send myself an email from another account and then when I checked the address book, the contacts were synchronized

Another thing that  I noticed when making changes on the desktop (desktop to device), not all the contacts are synchronized at the same time. I updated about 10 contacts on the desktop. About half of them synchronized to my device almost immediately. The rest of the contacts didn't update until I sent myself an email.

Conclusion:

1. changes made on the device will sync to desktop very quickly. This also triggers desktop-to-device sync if changes were made on the desktop.

2. changes made on the desktop do not always sync to the device unless you perform #1 or send yourself an email.

Does anyone know of a better way to force a sync and to guarantee that everything is actually synchronized? I've seen on the forums that you can type in RSET but I'd rather not do that every time I make a change.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
williamlambton
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Gmail Plug-in Contact - Force sync?

Did you find out? I am a new arrival to gmail/BlackBerry and the enhanced plugin and have been experimenting with the (seemingly undisclosed) synchronisation process. Routinely my gmail inbox is empty. Everything is cleared off it to offine storage by rules in Outlook, when running. However, once Outlook has emptied the inbox, the BlackBerry takes its time synchronising - an hour or two, maybe. I am, as you were, trying to find out exactly when the synchronisation can be expected and, indeed, how to demand it ('Reconcile now' on the BB doesn't do more than a short spurt, nothing happening). It's a bit baffling that there seems to be nothing on the web about this, apart from your post here, which it appears no one answered. Items in the BB's consolidated message list are not susceptible to the vagaries of the inbox and maybe correlate with Google's All Mail folder (which can also be accessed via the Google message list and the menu item there Filter)?

William Lambton,
Ireland.

Please use plain text.