Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
weskeene
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Gmail via BIS

[ Edited ]

My understanding is that Gmail's contact sync via BIS is performed via ActiveSync. I have a mail server which supports ActiveSync which I would like to sync contacts with. Is there a way to trick BIS into believing this address is affiliated with Gmail when in fact it is not?

Also, for RIM staff, is there a reason ActiveSync isn't made available for other servers via a synchronization checkbox in BIS for that mail account?

The system seems to auto select IMAP, POP or OWA depending on what is available to BIS when the account is set up. If possible, it would be nice to simply inform BIS that the account is ActiveSync capable and provide any additional information for BIS to connect and (hopefully) synchronize more than just mail in the Inbox.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Gmail via BIS

Hi weskeene,

The Gmail synchronization does not use ActiveSync. The contact sync feature synchronizes directly with the Gmail address book thus, if the contacts are not in the address book, they will not be applicable for synchronization.

ActiveSync is a Microsoft product made for Windows Mobile based smartphones.  BlackBerry does not use Windows Mobile and thus we have our own processes for synchronization.

Hope this answers your questions!

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.