Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

HELP - Restore BB Messenger Conversation from Backup?

Hi All,

I have been having a conversation in Messenger that has suddenly turned out to be very legally important, and I now desperately need to document that conversation. If I don't have some sort of proof of what was said, it could cause quite a few problems for me.

I need to document about 5 days worth of the conversation, but I only had about 3 days viewable in the device. I back up and sync my device to my desktop frequently, so I have backups within the time frame that I need, but when I try to restore the database files for messenger, the conversations are totally gone!

Also, when the restore process failed for the older messenger db, I tried to restore to the latest backup (which I made just a few minutes ago), and even that one is giving me nothing - no conversations whatsoever!

What's up with this? Am I doing something wrong, or does RIM just not think it's worth a few kb of storage on my pc to backup the messenger conversations when I do a manual backup of my entire device?

I'm kind of freaking out, too, cuz everything I read on this forum and others talks about restoring the app, or restoring contacts, but I can't find a single thread that talks about restoring conversations.

I have only a partial backup of the stuff that was on my device an hour ago, and I can't even get that stuff loaded back on now.

Please tell me I'm not totally screwed.

Solutions: 6,094
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HELP - Restore BB Messenger Conversation from Backup?

Use the IPD backup file with a PC application like ABC Amber IPD Extractor or MenaStep's Magic Berry to extract the IPD file and get the information you need from the back up.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code