Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
scottvacek
My Device: Not Specified

Help with Viewing Documents on 8830 and other questions

Greetings all...this is my first post....I'm new to my 8830 and need to sort out how best to be able to view file attachments like Word Docs and PDFs, among others....  I am an independent contractor and so all incoming mail is via POP-3 accounts.   

-Verizon tech support seems only marginally informed about this ...they tell me that I need to download a plug-in to make viewing DOC and PDF files possible...they made it sound like I would be lucky to get that much done, and could not speak to the reliability of third-party plug-ins or whether they would potentially hose-up my hand-held.

-I'm not really sure what an Enterprise Server is, but I know I'm not using one, and I noticed in this Blackberry site that there seems to be some alternative to receiving and viewing documents and PDFs that is not thru Enterprise Servers....

SO, basically my question is this:  What is the recommended way for me to be able to view the most kinds of file attachments in my current mail mode?

Also....can anybody tell me how to change the signature at the end of my handheld mails?   Not crazy about "Sent from my Verizon Wireless Blackberry"....  I'm thinking of something more like "Launched cordlessly from my Crackberry".... 

Have a happy day....

sv 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Help with Viewing Documents on 8830 and other questions

If you have the BlackBerry Attachment Service installed on the device, you should be able to view .DOC and .PDF files as attachments to e-mails. I wonder if that is the "plug-in" they are referring to. To check and see if it is installed you can go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications and see if it is listed. If it isn't listed then you need to install the Desktop Manager (along with the handheld operating system) to your computer and use the Application Loader module to install it.

In order to remove the signature you need to log in to the Verizon BlackBerry Internet Service web site and edit the configured e-mail account.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scottvacek

Thanks- but are you sure that it will run on a Handheld that is not running thru Enterprise Server or Microsoft Exchange?   ...and I've looked for the Attachment Service download but can't find it....can you tell me where to go to find it?

Thanks so much...

sv 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching

Yes, it will work on a BlackBerry using just BIS. Mt BlackBerry is connected via BIS and BES and I get attachments from both accounts.

Have you installed the handheld operating system application on your computer? If you haven't, then you need to do that first (and make sure it is the same one that matches the operating system on the actual BlackBerry). Once that is done, and you open the Desktop Manager and go to the Application Loader module, check to see if the BlackBerry Attachment Service is listed there.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scottvacek

Thanks Jeremy.   I have the OS app on my machine and the Attachment Service is on my handheld....  So far I can view PDFs and image files but thru testing have found that mails sent with Word and Excel files get delayed for 10-15 minutes and then when they do arrive my handheld does not offer the option to open the attachment. 

I am not running thru an Exchange server....just POP3 accounts.   I've found a couple of plug-ins on the  Handango website for $59.95 and  $99.95 that offer solutions for opening and editing these kinds of files and others...but all I want to do is open and view them- don't see much likelihood of editing on the handheld and find it a little rough to have to spend an additional $60-100 to gain the basic functionality. 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching

Are the attachments Office 2003, XP, 2000 attachments or are they Office 2007 attachments? I don't believe Office 2007 attachments will work yet.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nickster108

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, one of the biggest disappointments with the Blackberry...advertised as a business device...is that it cannot even properly view Office documents like you can using a Windows Mobile or Palm device. Open a PDF document, and by the time you zoom in to able to read the micro text, it is so out of focus that you cannot read it anyway. :smileymad:

Dataviz, one of the best Programs available for viewing and editing Office documents, just released Documents to Go for the Blackberry, but it is only available for BES, and not BIS.

Aside from spending the money for Programs you already know about, there is no other decent alternative I'm sad to say. :smileysad:

Message Edited by Nickster108 on 04-07-2008 07:01 AM
~~Nick Andriash~~
Courtenay, B.C.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scottvacek

Thanks a lot Jeremy....I was wondering....and now you've confirmed it, so at least now I know.   Yeah, that's disappointing, but hopefully it will work.   Any idea whether the third-party software functions well on the handheld?   I don't want to spend the money and take the time to install it only to find that it starts causing the machine to choke.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
scottvacek

Whoops....excuse me- sorry Nickster, I didn't notice it came from you and not from Jeremy until after I wrote my reply.   Anyway, thanks again and if you get a chance please let me know if you know anything about whether the third-party software functions well on the unit....thanks!
Please use plain text.