Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
Final_Fulgore
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8900
Accepted Solution

Hotmail w/BIS doesn't sync when using Windows Live Messenger

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I've got both BES and BIS working in my BlackBerry. BES has the email I use at work. BIS has my Hotmail account configured. They both work just fine, but when I tried to use Windows Live Messenger in my BlackBerry I realized that emails from Hotmail stopped coming in.

So far this is what I got:

If I log into Windows Live Messenger either from my BlackBerry, from a Windows computer or from within Hotmail (inside the web browser) I stop receiving mail. Everything I do from my BlackBerry still affects my Hotmail account (marking an email as read, deleting it or sending an email using my Hotmail account).

When I log out from Windows Live Messenger and receive another email, all of the delayed and the new email arrive at my BlackBerry, and keeps receiving mail just fine until I log into Windows Live Messenger again. I don't receive the delayed emails until I receive a new one after login out from Windows Live Messenger.

Already tried battery pull, deleting and adding again the Hotmail account in BIS, and uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Live Messenger.

Please, I already know all the love some people have over other web-based email services (Gmail, Yahoo, etc), that doesn't help at all.

I have searched the web and I got nothing, I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Hotmail w/BIS doesn't sync when using Windows Live Messenger

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

I think perhaps this KB discusses what is going on:

• KB15747Email message delivery is delayed because of an integrated Windows Live Hotmail account on the BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Final_Fulgore

That sucks! Is there a workaround? I don't know... of the top of my head... Configuring the hotmail account in BIS using IMAP, instead of the default configuration?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Give it a shot.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Final_Fulgore

Turns out Hotmail doesn't support IMAP (I bet you already knew that), with POP3 it did the same.

Ended up forwarding every mail towards a Gmail account, and getting both Hotmail and Gmail accounts inside BIS just to have all of the functionality. This way it doesn't matter if I'm using Windows Live Messenger, although it takes a little longer to push new mails.

I know it would be better to just have a new Gmail account but its the same thing as always... You just don't want to have all the trouble that the change implies.

Microsoft should be careful promoting Windows Live Messenger and Hotmail for BlackBerry at the same time.

New Contributor
Spiderman
My Device: Torch 9800

Thank you sdgardne for linking to that article! I almost gave up when I read under "Resolution" that this is by design, but the note under "Additional Information" inspired me to try manually setting my Windows Live Messenger status to "Away" - sure enough, my hotmail emails now arrive on my BlackBerry instantly.

FWIW, I am running Windows Live messenger on my BlackBerry, I haven't tested my "workaround" on a computer running Windows XP, but IMHO it's definitely worth a shot.

alexcpc
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9810

Thanks for the KB.

I've been wondering this sync issue for the longest time.  I fixed my problem by logging into my Hotmail account, select messenger and select "Sign Out of Messenger"

Real-time email resume after this.