Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hotmail with Blackberry

I know this has been covered many times before, but it appears something has changed in the Microsoft / RIM relationship. Microsoft now says it supports Windows Live Hotmail (Note not the plus, just Hotmail) and RIM also has a page describing support.

Now it seems to me that Microsoft and RIM supports Hotmail with a Blackberry, yet of the 20 hotmail emails I received today, only 2-3 are delivered.

This is a beast of a problem to resolve. We're dealing with at least 3 vendors (RIM, Microsoft, and the carrier - in my case Verizon Wirless), so getting any one of them to solve the problem will be nearly impossible.

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 connected via Verizon Wireless. How do I determine what version of BIS Verizon is running? That may have something to do with this.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Hotmail with Blackberry

BIS is now 2.5. This may be part of the ongoing Hotmail/BIS  issues, there is some comunication issue betweem the two.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Well I spoke with Verizon and they tell me that BIS is at 2.4. And they told me I had to write RIM to find out when and it would be upgraded. Ridiculous.
Message Edited by Brice on 08-11-2008 08:58 AM
Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Go upgrade your 8330 to HH OS 4.5.

Then after the upgrade is complete login to VZW's BIS Site and resend service books

After that go to Messages > Options > Email Settings

Do you see Enable HTML Email there?

If you do, call back VZW, ask to speak to the same CSR, and tell them they're wrong ... cuz if you've got HTML email, you've got BIS 2.5

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

I finally got Verizon to recognize that this is THEIR problem. They conferenced me on with RIM and it is a known problem. Verizon is at BIS 2.5 and the Curve should work (even though Verizon sells the Curve with a 4.3OS). RIM Technical Support told me that BIS 2.5 and Curve with 4.3 should work. They gave me a ticket number and are working to resolve. Stay tuned.

I will check out that OS upgrade, but for now, I'm going to give RIM a couple of days to work it and then ping them.

They also informed me that the 4.5 OS for 8330 Blackberrys from Verizon is imminent ("Very shortly" actually), but I DO NOT need it for Hotmail free email accounts to work properly.

I'll post here when it's resolved. 

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

I wouldn't count on VZW releasing 4.5 so quickly ... one of the reasons I left them was their OS release schedule was horrible.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Developer

Thanks for the update Brice. I'm having the same issue with Hotmail/Verizon so please let us know if your issue gets resolved and what it took to resolve it.
Contributor

The "master" open ticket is 5385837, according to Verizon. I have my own ticket number for the same problem, but the master should be sufficient.

I've called RIM on my open ticket and they say they are still working it. It does appear I am now getting my hotmail email as they are delivered, so they must be close to a solution. If you haven't called Verizon and quoted the master ticket number and the RIM and Microsoft web sites announcing FREE hotmail support on blackberries, you may want to do so. If the rep tells you it is not supported, ask for supervisor, provide them with the links, and keep pushing. Eventually you'll get to RIM and be good to go. MOST Verizon help desk folks think it is not supported, but it IS and if you need a trouble ticket to get it working for you, so be it.

Contributor

Mine appears to be working, but they haven't closed the ticket.
Contributor

I just received this from RIM:

Hello Brice,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

As you may have been told when you contacted us regarding your device, there was an issue with the connection between the BlackBerry Internet Service and the Hotmail/MSN service that has since been corrected. However, to restore full functionality to the integration, users must delete and reintegrate their Hotmail accounts with the BlackBerry Internet Service. You should be able to do this by accessing the site that your service provider has set up for this purpose.

If you are not able to reintegrate the account or would like to be assisted in the integration, please call us. Please be prepared to provide your PIN number of your BlackBerry smartphone, your Hotmail email address, and the password for your Hotmail email address. If we have this information we will be able to reintegrate the account on her behalf

If you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Maren
BlackBerry Customer Support
Research In Motion Limited

Hotmail does appear to be working now.