Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
TheOracle
My Device: Not Specified

How GPS works on CDMA BlackBerry® smartphones

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

We have been actively listening to your concerns about how GPS functions on the CDMA BlackBerry® smartphones. There is some information about the GPS implementation on these BlackBerry® smartphones that we would like to share with you, to help you better understand the expected behavior.

The GPS implementation within the CDMA BlackBerry® smartphones use ‘Stand-Alone’ GPS when leveraged by applications such as BlackBerry® Maps. The nature of Stand-Alone GPS requires that the user be outdoors (with an unimpeded view of the sky) and may result in wait time, while the BlackBerry® smartphone acquires an initial satellite fix. For certain applications, the BlackBerry® will utilize premium Location Based Services which includes network-level assistance to provide faster acquisition of satellite fixes. The experience that users have may be dependent on the GPS application that they are using and what its specific capabilities are.

Design intent notwithstanding, RIM is continually working in concert with our customers and partners to improve our hardware and software. Releases of new BlackBerry® smartphone software often include such improvements, related to a variety of issues which we may discover during internal testing or those which were dutifully reported by customers and/or partners. These collective efforts help us to prevent customers from experiencing certain issues in the future.

We greatly appreciate your valuable feedback. Keep it coming!

Message Edited by TheOracle on 07-24-2008 03:59 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
toober

Re: How GPS works on CDMA BlackBerry® smartphones

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the information.

You guys say you appreciate feedback, but I've been begging you for months for some information. I'm sorry, but this is my last BlackBerry.

Message Edited by toober on 07-24-2008 06:53 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jokerdud

I guess the question on everyones lips is: When is this patch will be released?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
StPeteMark
My Device: Alltel Curve 8330

I was not aware of this or the Telus threads when I posted my GPS problems under the Curve 8300 forum.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=3029

I am new to Blackberry.  Add me to the list of dissatisfied customers with the Device GPS. The only way I could resolve  the problem was to purchase the Globalsat BT-359 Bluetooth GPS  Navigation Receiver; works great with Blackberry and Google maps.

However, it would be nice to carry only one item, instead of two, and for the phone's Device GPS to work as advertised for a CDMA network, like Alltel.

After being aware of the problem for four months now, based on the date of your post, I'm sure most of us don't understand why there is no fix patch yet.

Thanks in advance for a timely resolve in this matter!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bart_F

Oracle,

Thanks for starting to address this issue.  I suppose what you are acknowledging is that the GPS doesn't work very well in the sense that it takes a long time to acquire a signal.  And that things may be better with a premium service such as Telus Navigator.  These two things most of us users know already.

What we really need to know is if there are any specific plans afoot to remedy this problem.  A person on another thread claims to have been told by RIM that a patch will be available in August to remedy this.  Do you know anything about this?  Could you also comment on the steps a current BB owner with a poorly performing GPS would have to go through to acquire this patch?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
miehmer

To all Rim employees on BB forums and other forums.  Please answer this for me.   I bought the bb pearl 8130 through telus.  I couldn't get the gps to work hardly at all with BB Maps or google maps.  I returned it for a new one and it worked great the first few times I used it on all the programs.  Then it stopped working properly again.  I am determined to get a phone that does what it says it does so I returned it again.  Sure enough the first few times it worked awesome on allprograms but now it is off and on again.  Obviously there is some glitch with the software or something.  It works perfect and then all of a sudden doesn't.  You guys need to get your act together and get this fixed.  It is obe of the reasons I bought the phone and it is adbertised on both Telus' and your websites.  I think it is a disgrace that you guys have not come up with a solution yet-satisfy your loyal customers-treat us like we are important and quit trying to say in round about words that the gps works better on Telus Navigator.  It should work lie a high quality GPS receiver.  I am on the $100 a month planwith voice and dats combined)-thats $3600 over three years-I think this should be enough money to have advertised functions work.  I am sure you have lost some loyal customers already and I will make sure everyone knows about the lack of urgency regarding this issue-lets get a fix now so us bb owners can use the gps function all the time not once out of 20 tries.  I am sure if you guys get this fixed we will show alot of respect back and start referring tons of our friend to Rim.  Please reply as soon as possible.  Kevin Miehm  kevinmiehm@rogers.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bart_F

miehmer,

I had a worldphone 8830 for a time.  It had the same GPS problem (very slow to acquire satellites and sometimes have to resort to a battery pull).  Now have a curve and same problem.  You have a Pearl and same story.

I would expect RIM and their telco re-sellers is taking this very seriously.  Thousands of people have been sold a product with a major feature that doesn't work as described. This is a recipe for serious reputation damage and even lawsuits.  Particularly the way GPS was flogged in their advertising as best thing since pop-up kleenex.

It's now August.  Hopefully one of our RIM friends will soon appear with news on the much touted patch and how to access it.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
miehmer

Hi Bart.  I agree 100%-the only thing that both worries and makes me really mad is that they have known about this problem since at least April-and still no fix?  If they are really trying to get this fixed I would think 5 months should be plenty of time-don't you.  I don't know if there not really working that hard on a solution or if they are and they can't find one.  All I know is that your are totally correct about the gps being a major function of the phone-I would never have bought the pearl if I knew it didn't have a gps that works.  There are other phones I was looking at like the HTC Diamond (it it due out in a couple weeks), the Iphone etc.  To be honest, besides the nice small size, the gps was the other most important feature.  Right now I am on a plan that comes to $100-voice 30, $45 unlimited data, text etc-with system fee and taxes it is minimum $100-even more probably as I always make some long distance calls-My point being is that over a 3 year contract they will make over $3600 off me-for this price I think I have a LEGAL RIGHT to have ALL the advertised functions of the phone working.  I just think we, as loyal bb users, need to put enough pressure on RIM/Telus (or whatever provider you use).  Five months is long enough.  Either recall the phones and get them fixed or reimburse everyone.  I am not the type of person who expects unrealistic services or threatens to sue over every little thing but I feel really strong about this.  What do u think is the best way to get RIM to get this problem fixed.  Lets come together and make a plan to put as much pressure on them as possible.  Thanks for your time.  Kevin
Please use plain text.
Contributor
toober

I have not seen any evidence that RIM cares about fixing our problem.  So, I don't think we should get our hopes up.  It's quite clear to me that RIM is one of these companies that, once they have your money in their pocket, don't feel the need to care anymore.   I do not think the folks at RIM understand the concept of the lifetime value of a customer. When you're all about short-term profits and don't care if your customers are satisfied, it really doesn't matter if your advertisements match the actual feature set of the product.

I too am in a situation where I'm stuck with a contract on this piece of junk that doesn't work.  I bought a GPS phone so that I could have access to location-based services.  RIM's GPS phones unfortunately do not seem to provide GPS functionality, like the iPhone does.  Apple's iPhone actually comes with the GPS features they promise.

Because RIM doesn't care about us, I think the best thing we can do is make more and more and more noise about this.  At the very least, hopefully we can help others who are looking for GPS phones by making them aware of these issues before they buy.  Write blog posts, complain to your carrier, complain to the BBB and Ad Standards Canada, etc.  Good companies fix their mistakes in situations like this.  Bad companies hide and pretend nothing's wrong.

In a way I hope RIM doesn't give us anymore answers, because the last one just made me more angry.  I want to see a human response admitting that it is broken and what the plan is to make it work, not robotic legal bs speak.  That's so unappealing to me.  It really just doesn't work these days.  People appreciate honesty and openness.  Be REAL, tell us that you screwed up and tell us what you're going to do to FIX it.Stop hiding.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StPeteMark
My Device: Alltel Curve 8330

I went back to re-read Alltel's GPS descriptions:

In main description: "...and GPS capabilities at the touch of a finger."

Under Premier Phone Features:  " * Never get lost again using GPS capabilities with TeleNav GPS" (but you need to spend $10/month for this service)

Under Premier Services: " * Get directions from TeleNav GPS"

NOTHING about direct use with Blackberry Maps!  Another lesson of never assume anything!

Please use plain text.