Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Developer
darkstar3d
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How GPS works on CDMA BlackBerry® smartphones

[ Edited ]

I downloaded the Samecell capture utility months ago. Once I did, my GPS connect to BBMaps and others were very fast. I'm on OS 4.5 now and AT&T so they are preventing me from getting BBmaps trying to squeeze money out of me.

http://www.samecell.com/cellcap.htm  

Message Edited by darkstar3d on 08-12-2008 11:26 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MoccasinLanding
My Device: Curve 8300 (EDGE) v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
My Carrier: ATT

Darkstar, never heard of that service before, and I've read through a lot of posts about GPS on here and on another POI website.  Not tonight, butmaybe later this week I will see about downloading that software for my 8300.

Intriguing.....

Curve8300 ATT
v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brice

I have a Blackberry Curver 8330 and I can neither find my current location or track my movement using the native GPS and Blackberry Maps. Seems to me that RIM is advertising a capability that doesn't exist.

I just spoke with RIM technical support and they said Blackberry Maps on a 8330 with GPS capability will NOT provide your location nor will it track your route.

I don't get the discrepancy between what is sold on the web site and what the device actually does.  

Please use plain text.
Contributor
miehmer

Both the location and tracking should work perfectly-how a rim employee can tell you differently is a crime.  I have a bb pearl 8130 with Telus.  I have exchanged 3 phones in the first 30 days.  They all worked for the first few days and then stopped.  I have spoken with Telus data technicians at least 10 times and I have an open, escalated ticket.  The last time I talked to a tech guy he admitted that they were having alot of problems with both the pearl 8130 and the curve 8330.  He told me to swap the phone and if bb maps was working to make sure not to download telus navigator(their $10 monthly nav program).  The telus navigator program is better in some ways as it gives turn by turn instructions and recalculates routes if you make a wrong turn.  I believe all the programs should work, so even though my bb maps, and even google maps was working perfectly(I would get gps lock within 10-30 seconds-even from inside my house) I wanted to download telus navigator.  Sure enough as soon as I downloaed and used the telus nav-the bb maps and google maps stopped working properly?  The tech warned me against this so they know something is up.  I strongly believe that the bb maps should work perfect wether telus navigator is on the phone or not.  Their is obviously some sort of software issue here that needs to be fixed.  There are dozens of free nav apps available and being our phones have gps receivers-we should be able to take advantage of both the free stuff and the premium navigator program.  There is supposedly a 4.5 oS coming out in the next week or so and the tech guy said he thinks it will solve these problems.  I am not holding my breath.  I am calling about the escalated ticket today so I will let you know what i find out.  We need to keep on Rim and the phone companies to get this fixed.  The GPS is the one of the main reasons I bought this phone and does not work right.  We need to make them fix this or recall the phones and give us ones that work properly.

The bottomline is some people need to install Telus Navigator to get bb maps and google working, others like me it is the opposite.  It makes no sense.  Telus and Rim need to get this solved now.  We paid for the GPS AND IT SHOULD WORK WITH WHATEVER PROGRAM WE CHOOSE.  i AM SO SICK OF READING FORUMS AND TALKING TO REPS AND GETTING DIFFERENT ANSWERS AND IDEAS FROM EVERYONE.  THE EXPERTS AT RIM AND TELUS SHOULD BE ABLE TO SOLVE THIS IN A DAY IF THEY WOULD JUST PRIORITIZE IT. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Brice

I agree 100%. I'm a Verizon user. Verizon disables the GPS in the 8330. You have to buy their map solution to enable the hardware support (GPS). Now THAT'S a crime. If you install an OEM 8330 on a Verizon Blackberry (4.5 to be specific), the GPS is enabled, but has a hard time finding sattelites, even in wide open spaces. It will be interesting to see what happens when Verizon's version of 4.5 comes out and is officially supported. That should happen soon.

I thought it odd that RIM tech support would tell me no GPS on the 8330 even though it is clearly advertised as such on their web site. After I hung up I wish I would have asked for the ticket number and escalated within RIM. Clearly the info I got was wrong. I've seen 8330 with Verizon using OEM OS with GPS working. The person I spoke to did not know what they were talking about. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
xaroc

Well i dunno about the other Carriers but on the Telus advertisments it says GPS "Capable" meaning yes it can, but they dont release details weither it connects without additional upgrades.

again as i said before takes me 3-5 minutes to connect, with their $10 dollar service 5-10 seconds. 

so it seems pritty clear that Telus (cant speak for all other companys) hasnt blocked it, but seems to be Filtering it at least

My biggest issue is that Telus blocks Youtube :smileyfrustrated: , they have for more then 6months lol. but o well, GPS works for free, but you have to be committed to it, and wait the 5 minutes to get a connection

Please use plain text.
Contributor
StPeteMark
My Device: Alltel Curve 8330

xaroc wrote:

Well i dunno about the other Carriers but on the Telus advertisments it says GPS "Capable" meaning yes it can, but they dont release details weither it connects without additional upgrades.

again as i said before takes me 3-5 minutes to connect, with their $10 dollar service 5-10 seconds. 

so it seems pritty clear that Telus (cant speak for all other companys) hasnt blocked it, but seems to be Filtering it at least

My biggest issue is that Telus blocks Youtube :smileyfrustrated: , they have for more then 6months lol. but o well, GPS works for free, but you have to be committed to it, and wait the 5 minutes to get a connection

That's a good assessment of Alltel, too, with recommended TeleNav 5.1. After my 30-day trial, I'll probably keep it since, for $10/mo, it's seems to be a good GPS program, has it's own maps which are updated free, and has traffic info for my area.This monthly service can be cancelled at any time.

My worry is when Verizon gobbles up Alltel at the end of the year. Alltel says it will be status quo until your contract expires. It's only a promise-haha-we'll see!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
darkstar3d

StPeteMark wrote:

My worry is when Verizon gobbles up Alltel at the end of the year. Alltel says it will be status quo until your contract expires. It's only a promise-haha-we'll see!

Don't forget what Sprint promised before Nextel and the service they delivered after they had it. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MoccasinLanding
My Device: Curve 8300 (EDGE) v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
My Carrier: ATT

St. Pete Mark wrote:

This is a follow-up to these and previous observations. The original post was not to support RIM, but to express that I made assumptions based on incomplete and vague adverstising by the provider. I concluded (wrongly) that the Device GPS would be without problems with Blackberry Maps and third party software.

I tried several free GPS programs; none worked with the Device GPS and I uninstalled them.  One of Alltel's pre-loaded icons is for TeleNav GPS Navigator (5.1).  I found out that they offered a 30-day free trial, before charging $9.99/month.  What a great way to further test the Device GPS, so I downloaded and installed the program. Before I share the results, I must say this seems to be a good and comprehensive navigation program with voice commands, 3-D, and 2-D maps, with and without traffic, depending on location. For info, check out: http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/ 

Like magic, the installation of this program seemed to unleash the full power of the Device GPS for applications.

1. The TeleNav program worked without any problems; and it found my location in less than a minute...inside my house!

2. Blackberry Maps: "Where I Am Location" found me, a little slower...inside my house.

3. Blackberry Maps: "Navigation" found satillites in under a minute.

4. Google Maps: Used satillites instead of cell towers to find my location.

Bottom line is that something stinks...that something appears to be software that runs the Device GPS. But, if you throw more money in the bucket, it works just fine! :-(

***************************************************************************************

And, when I bought the 8300 Curve at ATT, my intent was to use it as a GPS. On here I read about the BBMaps, looked and could not find them on my phone, went to the RIM Download page and started to download the maps to install. In the fine print there, it said CAN BE INSTALLED ON ALL BUT THE ATT PHONES. In short, I do NOT have the option to use the BBMaps. And, I must get an external GPS receiver, since it is NOT builtin to the 8300. I considered changing my phone to the 8310 or an even more powerful phone, but reading all the experiences on here I decided not to do that. Instead I am keeping this phone until I see how the 3G goes and then I'll choose. If there is a mass exodus from marginal phones which only CLAIM GPS, to a unit which really delivers, I think that will get the message across to ALL the manufacturers. Money talks.

Meanwhile, instead of continuing to fight to establish GPS links to my BB8300, I took my money and bought a hotshot Garmin Nuvi 880. It has the MSNDirect antenna built into the car charging cable, and it gives access to a lot more stuff than I really will ever use. I probably won't renew that trial subscription which came with the Nuvi, but I know LOCATION BASED SERVICES are the next big wave. Looks like Apple's phones are poised to catch that wave, and sadly Blackberry is missing it. 

So what if I have to buy a bigger purse to carry all my stuff around. It gets too hot in the summer to leave delicate electronics in a locked car. I'll just have to reinforce the purse straps so I don't drop my digital camera, the phone, and the gps.  They go where I go.   (I know the phone has a camera, but it doen't have the quality I need.)

Curve8300 ATT
v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
toober

RIM. Still doesn't work.

Stop HATING your customers.

Please use plain text.