Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
miehmer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How GPS works on CDMA BlackBerry® smartphones

Hi Toober.  Do u have Telus Nav on your phone?  Here is something that helped me.  I couldn't get bb maps or google maps working right-I had Telus Navigators free trial on the phone.  I pulled the battery while Telus navigator was running.  When I put the battery back in and started bb maps and google maps they now work well.  If you don't have navigator-i suggest u download it and try this.  It has been working great for three days-just make sure Telus Nav is running when u pull the battery.  I have no idea why it works-maybe by doing a reset while nav is running pulls an important file and bb maps can now access it.  Give it a try and let me know.  Kevin Miehm
Contributor
miehmer

Just an addition to my last post.  Even thouh I am happy my bb maps is working(at least right now)I still thinik this is ridiculous as the GPS should work great without doing any of this crap(I have spent countless hours trying at least a hundred different things)-even if this would work for everyone RIM/TElus needs to get this fixed.  It is almost SEPTEMBER-LETS GET THIS FIXED RIGHT!!!!
New Developer
darkstar3d

Which OS are you guys running? I was running 4.3 something without any issue. Thinking back, I install Samecell and 4.3 almost same day, so maybe that is what fixed it.

RIM, you don't have folks trolling the forums? Bad, bad, bad. Easy to chime in and give an update at least monthy at least!

Contributor
Brice

I upgraded my bb to 4.5 and it still doesn't work. Verizon locks the GPS, but with the upgrade I could get the GPS working. Unfortunately, in a field with no trees for 300 feet in any direction, no clouds, no other interference, the GPS could never find the satellite. I think it's ridiculous that RIM can advertise GPS capability and it doesn't work.
New Developer
darkstar3d

Ah, Verizon is well known for that.

I can't get BBMaps on my 4.5 because of AT&T. I removed the vendor.xml upon install and the BBMaps was installed. After reboot, its no where to be found.

I know this is an official RIM forum, but have you tried putting a blank policy on the device? I would think that it would over write any policy the vendor has pushed. This assuming that they disable GPS using policys like you can on the BES.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remove-i-t-policy-blackberry-569/  

Contributor
Brice

I have GPS enabled now, but it never finds the sattelite.

Contributor
toober

Hey miehmer,

I don't have Telus Nav anymore because it is past the 30day trial.  Telus refuses to give it to me for free like they have for many others.

To the person who asked why RIM isn't responding.  I assume it is because they are scared.  As far as I can tell, they have come to the realization that it is impossible to get the BlackBerry Curve 8330 CDMA to function properly w/ GPS, even with software fixes.  So, even though previously they promised us they would fix it, now they are being silent, hoping that we'll all just give up eventually.  They even went as far as to remove a post from the forum where they had previously admitted it was broken & soon to be fixed. (If anyone got a screen shot of that post before it disappeared please share).

If anyone has ideas on how we can make MAJOR noise about this, let's talk.  Maybe we can get this on one of those consumer rights segments on the news.  There must be thousands (?) of these broken BlackBerrys out there. These guys are treating us like a bunch of suckers.

Regular Contributor
xaroc

My honist opinion is, I think this isbt RIMs fault, i think this lays in the Carriers hands.

Some carriers seem to do just fine on the other Blackberrys, Seems that the CDMA carriers are having the problems, and Telus gives a $10 service to fix it lol.

in my Case, i honistly do belive its an issue with Telus, not Rims. I could be wrong, just what i think

Contributor
miehmer

[ Edited ]

Hi again Toober. I think you should try the battery pull when you have bb maps on-make sure u have bb maps running with it trying to find the satellites(I think it is start gps on the menu.  Let it run for a few minutes and then pull the battery. The other option is to pay the one day $3 fee for Telus Nav and do the batterry pull when Nav is running-I know it sucks to pay the $3 but if it gets it working it would be well worth it.  Let me know how it goes

Also I agree 100% that we have to make this A MAJOR MAJOR ISSUE FOR RIM/TELUS.  We MUST LET THEM KNOW THAT WERE NOT GOING AWAY.  ALSO TOOBER-I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY WONT GIVE YOU TELUS NAV UNTIL THIS IS FIXED-I THOROUGHLY VOICED MY DISPLEASURE IN THEIR SERVICE AND THEY GAVE ME 3 MONTHS OF NAV RIGHT AWAY.  TAKE CARE.  KEVIN MIEHM

Message Edited by miehmer on 08-25-2008 08:50 PM
Contributor
miehmer

I WILL BE CALLING TELUS TOMORROW ABOUT MY ESCALATED TICKET-IT HAS BEEN 3 WEEKS NOW AND THEY PROMISED ME AN ASWER IN 48 HOURS. THIS IS ENOUGH OF THIS LYING AND STEALING MY MONEY-I AM GOING TO GET WHAT I PAID FOR NO MATTER WHAT I HAVE TO DO