Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

How To Reload Your Operating System

[ Edited ]

If you're having problems with your BlackBerry Storm, they may be software related.  In some cases, the problems can be easily resolved by reloading an application, or changing settings, but in other cases, there are more serious problems which require more drastic measures.  Under these circumstances, it may help to reload the operating system on the phone.  The following will provide the steps on how to easily do this.

The following steps assume that you already have the operating system installed to your computer. If you do not, please download and install the OS to your computer to ensure that you are installing a clean version to your phone. To download the OS, go to your carrier's download site, available here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp.

1. Before you do anything, back up your BlackBerry device.  Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Backup and Restore.  On the next screen select Backup and perform a full backup of your device data.  Note where the backup file is located (usually in the Documents folder).  Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and leave your device plugged in.
  2. Open Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and open the Loader.exe file.  In Vista 64-bit computers, the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.  Depending on your computer's settings, you may need to show hidden folders (under File > Options for Windows XP or Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Vista).
  3. After the device configuration has been retrieved, you will be on the Device Application Selection page.  You may scroll through the list to ensure all the applications you want are selected.  You can also de-select any applications you don't use to save space.  Click Next.
  4. On the next page, click on the Advanced button.  Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked.  Click Next.
  5. Proceed with the OS reinstall.  Note that this process may take 10-30 minutes (usually ~10 minutes).  Do not disconnect the device.
  6. Once the process is complete, re-open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  Select Backup and Restore and open the Restore application.  Select the file to restore (Backup-(Year-Month-Day).ipd) and click open.  Follow the steps to restore your device.
  7. Re-enable your device connection by going to Manage Connections and turn on your Mobile Network.  Re-download any missing applications and re-connect to any BlueTooth devices and you're done.

That's it.  You should now be back up and running.  Note that this process will delete all your third party applications, hence why you need to redownload any missing applications.  I also recommend pulling your battery out for 15-30 seconds after this process is complete to ensure the device is running smooth.

I hope this helps those of you looking for a complete and easy to follow set of steps for reloading your operating system.  This process typically takes ~30-40 minutes to complete. 

Thanks to BlackBerry Technical Support and BlackBerryFAQs for inspiring this How To.

Message Edited by Krypto on 05-09-2009 08:21 AM
Message Edited by KaLin on 10-06-2009 04:46 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Elite I
Krypto

Re: How To Reload Your Operating System

As a couple of follow-ups to the post above:

• Please note that the above process will wipe all the user data off your phone, so Step 1 is crucial if you want your data back on your phone.
  • If you'd like to trouble-shoot to see if any third party apps are the problem, avoid reloading them for a day.  Then add each app successively (wait a day between apps if possible).  If the problem pops up again following the installation of an app (e.g. after installing the 3rd app), the problem is likely due to that app.  Remove that application.  You may also send feedback to the developer so that they may resolve the problem in an update.

:smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Elite I
cathlabnurse
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Thanks Krypto for this update!!

You are the STORM Queen! 

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Nurse-Berry :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
My Device: Not Specified

There is an additional way to update the device software.

1. Launch Internet Explorer.
  2. Open the address: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/
  3. Click on "Update Now" button on web-page
----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Elite I
Krypto

rafo wrote:

There is an additional way to update the device software.

1. Launch Internet Explorer.
  2. Open the address: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/
  3. Click on "Update Now" button on web-page

Yup, that's actually a really useful way to update the device software using official upgrades.  The method I listed above will allow you reload the same operating system on your phone though, which I don't believe the online version does (I could be wrong - will attempt it).

It should also be noted that the method I listed above can also be used to upgrade your phone's operating system as it will install the highest version operating system that is installed on your computer.  Thus, if you have 4.7.0.76 on your phone and you download and install 4.7.0.122 (or any other more recent operating system) on your computer, your computer will upgrade your phone to 4.7.0.122 automatically when running this method.  The only additional step that is required if installing a beta OS or an OS from another carrier is to delete the Vendor.xml file located in the same folder as the Loader.exe file.  Do this step before the upgrade and everything will go smoothly.

Developer
rafo
My Device: Not Specified

Yes, Internet based-way is only for official OS releases, right.

In case a user wants to install device OS from another provider (via deleting Vendor.xml) - then there is only way via desktop installation.

----------------
if your issue solved set "Solution" mark at the relevant post
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Another how-to on the subject, with a lot of screenshots, and including a failure scenario.
http://newbbie.com/2009/06/15/storm-upgrade-to-verizon-4-7-0-148/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
andrewcastle
My Device: Bold 9700

Hi Krypto,

looking for a painstaking procedure for reinstalling the OS of my new Bold 9700 (OS 5.0) and I found your post so I tried.

I would install the Vodafone Ireland Provider OS version and I downloaded the OS but following your steps I have problems on the third one, because the page warns me:

The Blackberry Desktop software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator.

So I'm unable to go ahead and complete your procedure. I have not idea as to the issue the Loader.exe informs me, I saved the screenshot of the error if you want.

Sorry if I bother you, but I tried to look for this procedure everywhere and I am not able to resolve it.

My ultimate aim is delete the operator logo when I turn on the device and when I turn off it as well. I found that solution, i.e. reinstall the OS using another one, replace the italian OS with an Irish one.

Is it possible do it?

Thanks a lot for your helpfuness.

Elite I
Krypto

[ Edited ]

Hi andrewcastle,

Where did you download the OS from?  The reason I ask is that the only Bold available on the Vodafone Ireland site is the Bold 9000, which won't work on the Bold 9700.  I didn't see the Bold 9700 on the list there. 

Is your BlackBerry from Vodafone Ireland or is it from a different carrier?  I'm guessing that (from you're comments) the phone is unlocked and was originally purchased from Vodafone Italy, correct?  If that's the case, you'll have to use the version from Vodafone Italy (available here: LINK) (note, there is a way to load an OS from another carrier if needed.  Let me know if you need this).

One other comment regarding your final question.  There is no way to change the boot up screen logo (e.g. you can't change the Vodafone Italy symbol to that from Vodafone Ireland).  This is coded into the phone at a level below what is controlled via operating system updates.  But given that you only see this for ~5-10 seconds when booting the phone, I wouldn't be too concerned.  If all you want to do is change the language options, this is easy to select during the OS reload as all OSes come with English as a language option.

Keep me posted and I'll help further as required.

amtotten
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9530

This is great for those people who load and delete alot of apps lol. Saves me a good 20 megs everytime i reload my os! i have to thank you alot and you have made me a very happy blackberry storm owner! Now that i have a blackberry there is no turning back!!!! Thank You

BlackBerrys Forever!!!!!!!!!!!