Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Elite I
Krypto
My Carrier: Telus

Re: How To Reload Your Operating System

The exact problem doesn't sound familiar, but here is a suggestion on how to proceed.  Because you're having problems with the actual OS, try the following:

1. Redownload and reinstall the OS to your computer.
  2. Download a program called BBSAK and install it to your computer: http://www.berryreview.com/2009/10/28/blackberry-swiss-army-knife-bbsak-1-7-released/
  3. Plug in your BlackBerry and connect, then click on the Wipe button.  Note, this will wipe the OS from your BlackBerry. (Because you've already backed up your device, you should be fine, but note that this will do the same sort of thing as a reformat).
  4. Once the wipe is complete, click on Load OS.  This will automatically open up the BlackBerry Application Loader.  Reload the OS using this.  Do not disconnect your BB from your computer.
  5. Once the phone has booted back up again, open Desktop Manager > Backup/Restore > Advanced.
  6. On the left side, use the drop down menu to select your backup file.  Now try restoring only the databases you need (e.g. Messages, Contacts, Calender, etc.).  Leave out anything that isn't required, and if you don't mind resetting things like sounds and the theme settings yourself again, I'd recommend leaving those things out and setting that up manually.

That should do it.

Keep me posted either way.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
NamesJames
My Carrier: Att

Glad this board is still running. I have a problem i cannot find the answer to anywhere online, maybe someone here can help me. ok... I got the curve 8320 or whatever. I downloaded the latest desktop software to let my computer and it update and sync and all that good stuff. During an update it glitched up and now the phone won't turn on, just goes to a white screen sometimes with a little box w/ shapes in it. I have a backed up file but everytime i've tried to reload it, it has been unsuccessful. So basically i'm stuck with a dead bb and no OS to put on it. What can i do????

Please use plain text.
NamesJames
My Carrier: Att

After messing with this thing for a few more hours and teaching myself as i go... I think i found my problem. At first i just downloaded a random bb os software to my computer thinking it would work, not being aware that i had to have the specific version or w/e. anyway... I found the one specifically for mine and everything seems to be working.. so happy. Here i thought my first smart phone was the best thing that happened to me and all the sudden it won't even turn on. things are lookin up now though. figured this one out on my own.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

[ Edited ]

Almost guaranteed you're seeing a 507 error which means there is no OS on the phone.  Now then, hopefully your phone was backed up in advance, but it should be fairly easy to get your phone back up and running.

You can actually follow the instructions posted on the first post in this thread and that will get you back up and running.  Start by downloading the OS from your carrier's download site (link included on the first page), then just load the OS.  At the end, see if you have an .ipd file somewhere in your My Documents folder (you can also do a search for *.ipd in your C:\ drive using Windows Explorer to locate the file anywhere on your computer).  If you can find the file, then you can use the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to restore the data in that file.  If you can't find the file, unfortunately your data might be lost, but at least your phone will be working again.

So try that and if you need further help, let me know.

EDIT: LOL, I see you figured it out just as I was typing my response.  Glad to hear you got your BB back up and running!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Viva

I have done as you wrote (though on a virtual machine running Windows on Mac), but it does not result in successful restoring.

What I noticed -as I did before when I tried to wipe with JL_Cmder on a PC-, there is no 507-error. Which I used to have when I wiped my blackberry with 4.6 installed.

Just to be sure I'll try it on a PC as well. 

It seems the problem in restoring is related to some databases, others restore just fine while some will crash every time.

Will report next results.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Yeah, it could have to do with the Virtual Machine on Mac.  Some users have described problems in the past.  Hopefully switching to an actual PC will help (and glad to see you've actually used JL_Cmder before - means you actually have done this before).

Keep us posted.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
a_khan83

i have a 9700 that i had originally bought from canada when i was living there and the carrier was rogers. now i have moved to saudi arabia for good and would like to change the phone software to the local carrier (mobily). Could someone please tell me the steps to go about doing that. i have found and downloaded the local carrier software from the blackberry site. Now what needs to be done next?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

a_khan83 wrote:

i have a 9700 that i had originally bought from canada when i was living there and the carrier was rogers. now i have moved to saudi arabia for good and would like to change the phone software to the local carrier (mobily). Could someone please tell me the steps to go about doing that. i have found and downloaded the local carrier software from the blackberry site. Now what needs to be done next?

Hi and Welcome to the forums!

Shifting carriers has nothing to do with installing that carriers release of a BB device OS. Rather, it has everything to do with unlocking your BB from it's original carrier...see this FAQ:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Yup, follow the steps in the link that sdgardne posted.  As to operating systems/software, you can actually continue to use the software for Rogers' BlackBerry devices (indeed, this may actually be easier as your phone will still be recognized as a Rogers' BlackBerry by RIM's software, regardless of what carrier it is on). 

To load software from another carrier though, you can use the steps I outlined in the first page, but before you open the Loader.exe file from the Apploader directory, delete the Vendor.xml in the same directory.  This will allow you to load the OS from another carrier on your phone (otherwise, your phone will not see the upgrade as an available upgrade).

Now then, once you have unlocked your phone, you should be able to use it on your carrier no problem.  And note that if you have already paid off your contract with Rogers, you can contact them for an unlock code.  They should be willing to provide one for free (if memory serves).

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Miikmac
My Carrier: Rogers

So an os6 related question ..

I have an unlocked 9700...I use a rogers sim card

1) Will i still have to wait for a rogers os to DL or will it be available globally?

2) How would you decide which carriers OS to use?

3) Why are OS's carrier specific?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Please use plain text.