Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
Miikmac
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How To Reload Your Operating System

Krypto wrote:
3.  OSes are carrier specific as carriers can have subtle differences in their networks which can influence the reception/functionality of the phone.  Carriers test different OS versions and then typically pick the one that passes their quality control tests.  Some carriers have more strict testing procedures than others, which is why we sometimes see some carriers with different OS versions than others.

Thanks Krytpo.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Viva
My Device: 8900

[ Edited ]

It took some time before I found the time to try it properly.

I took a clean PC (never seen any BB or BB-software before). Installed everything, hooked up the BB and started wiping and installing.

Al was well until I tried to restore. I selected the several databases I wanted to restore. As previous cases, some was restored until the BB crashed. After a reboot, which required to disconnect from the PC, I tried restoring again one database at a time. This worked fine for some, others worked after a couple of tries. It took me three times and as many reboots, to restore the SMS-messages. Restoring E-mail messages was less successful.

Eventually I decided not to restore everything and just start over again, setting it up from the start.

I do wonder if my BB has a hardware related problem or it just software related, but if it would be software related it wouldn't be occurring all the time. Any thoughts?

Edit: While installing applications It keeps crashing, by now it's more jam than berry

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Viva wrote:

It took some time before I found the time to try it properly.

I took a clean PC (never seen any BB or BB-software before). Installed everything, hooked up the BB and started wiping and installing.

Al was well until I tried to restore. I selected the several databases I wanted to restore. As previous cases, some was restored until the BB crashed. After a reboot, which required to disconnect from the PC, I tried restoring again one database at a time. This worked fine for some, others worked after a couple of tries. It took me three times and as many reboots, to restore the SMS-messages. Restoring E-mail messages was less successful.

Eventually I decided not to restore everything and just start over again, setting it up from the start.

I do wonder if my BB has a hardware related problem or it just software related, but if it would be software related it wouldn't be occurring all the time. Any thoughts?

Edit: While installing applications It keeps crashing, by now it's more jam than berry

Given everything you've tried, I'm starting to wonder if it's a problem with the memory on the phone itself (i.e. I'm leaning towards your thoughts that this might be a hardware issue).  Is there any chance your phone is still under warranty?  If so, I'd take it in for repair/replacement.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dubplatekillaz
My Device: Curve 8520

hi people

ive started trying to reload my OS as the text sounds started going and i read this would hopefully cure the problem, i have followed step-by-step but it has been on the 'device initialization' stage for about 2 and a half hours now, should i abandon and try again? or just be patient, i dont want to end up with no OS!

thanks

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Hi, it can take time, but if it doesn't finish initializing, unplug the device and do a battery pull.  If it's not working, just repeat the process.  It should work fine on the next round.  :smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
a_khan83
My Device: 9700

[ Edited ]

a_khan83 wrote:

i have a 9700 that i had originally bought from canada when i was living there and the carrier was rogers. now i have moved to saudi arabia for good and would like to change the phone software to the local carrier (mobily). Could someone please tell me the steps to go about doing that. i have found and downloaded the local carrier software from the blackberry site. Now what needs to be done next?

sggardne wrote:

Hi and Welcome to the forums!

Shifting carriers has nothing to do with installing that carriers release of a BB device OS. Rather, it has everything to do with unlocking your BB from it's original carrier...see this FAQ:

Good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried uploading a new operating software downloaded from the local site here in Saudi arabia to change from the rogers one, its still running the rogers brower for internet on the phone. The main problem is the third party application like facebook, i have installed them but then when i run it, it doesnt work it say "could not connect because a data service is not available. Please try again later. If this continues, contact your service provider for support" i have a data plan from on of the local service providers here and everything else work perfect, bbm and browser, but its only the third party applications that i download that dont seem to work. Any solution to this. I got the phone already unlocked when i left canada.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Hi there,

The reason for this is that you don't have a BlackBerry data plan (a BlackBerry requires a different data plan than other smartphones).  Contact your carrier in Saudi Arabia for further assistance.  Now, I know that there had been some issues with BlackBerry service in Saudi Arabia, but from what I understand, those issues have been resolved, so setting up the BlackBerry Internet Service on your device should resolve these issues for you.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Coolest23

Hi guys I have a Bold 9700 from AT&T and I want to use it on Boost Mobile. My phone is unlocked but the only thing I see is an "SOS" symbol on phone. I already have service with Boost Mobile. I have trying changing the OS but not luck yet. Can someone help me please?

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Boost Mobile  is a CDMA carrier, so the Bold 9700 (a GSM device) won't work on Boost Mobile (they use different technologies).  Indeed, no phones will work on Boost Mobile except Boost Mobile branded devices as CDMA devices can not be unlocked and switched from carrier to carrier. 

If you want to use your Bold 9700 in the US, you will need to connect it to either AT&T or TMobile (i.e. a carrier that uses SIM cards in their phones).  You should also note that if you have an AT&T 9700, it will not be able to connect at full 3G speeds on TMobile due to network differences.

And if you want to be on Boost Mobile, your only real option at this point in time is a Boost Mobile branded 8330 Curve.

I hope this info is helpful.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Coolest23

Boost also use Iden phones(Sim Cards) and in others states thery use Tel Us to provide there service. that's why i was asking to see if there was anyway possible to use my phone with them.

Please use plain text.