Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: How To Reload Your Operating System

Hi there hugheagle,

After reading your post, I don't think that a Factory Reset will help.  Instead, it sounds to me like you likely have a memory leak that might be OS based.  I personally found that many of the older OS versions had memory leaks, but some of the newer ones have been better.  So here's my suggestion.

Vodafone UK has a more recent OS version available for download on their site (OS 5.0.0.1036), so try downloading that one from here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=1141938BA2C2B13F5505D7C424EBAE5F

To load it to your phone, follow the steps that I posted in the original steps (on page 1 of this thread), however before you open the Loader.exe file in the Apploader folder, delete the Vendor.xml file (located in the same folder).

You should then have no problems loading the OS to your phone.  And when you're loading the OS, install only the features you need (for example, unless you use S/MIME at work don't worry about installing that feature.  Same with things like extra languages, etc). 

Try that for a few days and then let me know if it's working any better.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. We'll try version 5.0.0.1036 and shall report back.

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold

[ Edited ]

Hello, I've had problems updating my OS. It paused while loading net_rim_bb_phone_resource.cod. I then tried again after waiting a considerable length of time. Same problem. Then I tried a 'downgrade', but yet again no joy.

I've since reset the phone and followed your instructions on page 1 meticulously, but have hit the same problem again. I started this latest attempt at 0600 this morning, and it's now 0930, 3.5 hours later. Software advises me not to disconnect until the process is complete, but it feels very much like it will not complete at all.

Your advice please!

Elite I

waddelldj wrote:

Hello, I've had problems updating my OS. It paused while loading net_rim_bb_phone_resource.cod. I then tried again after waiting a considerable length of time. Same problem. Then I tried a 'downgrade', but yet again no joy.

I've since reset the phone and followed your instructions on page 1 meticulously, but have hit the same problem again. I started this latest attempt at 0600 this morning, and it's now 0930, 3.5 hours later. Software advises me not to disconnect until the process is complete, but it feels very much like it will not complete at all.

Your advice please!

Has it resolved itself yet?  If not, try uninstalling the OS from the computer and then redownload and reinstall a fresh copy of the OS.  If that doesn't work, you might need to wipe the device using a program called BBSAK.  You can download BBSAK to your computer from http://bbsak.org and install it to your computer.  Once you've done that, plug your device in, open BBSAK, enter your password when prompted (if you don't have a password, simply click on OK), and then once you're into the program with your BlackBerry connected, simply click on the Wipe Device button.

Note: if you are unable to get your BlackBerry to connect, simply restart your computer and that should resolve the issue.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold

Thanks, it is resolved now, but only after spending an hour in an O2 store with an 'O2 Guru' who managed to go through a similar process. Thanks for your suggestions.

Elite I

Ok, I'm glad O2 was able to get you back up and running!  :smileyhappy:

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Three days ago you recommended that, rather than going for a factory reset, we should download and install the latest OS version available for our Bold 9000 phone (from a network provider other than our own). I'm just reporting back to say that OS version 5.0.0.1036 (Bundle 1682, Platform 5.2.0.93) seems to be working well.

Memory still seems to evaporate sometimes for no apparent reason, even when we're not using the phone, but the starting memory (after a battery pull) is higher and the evaporation is slower. So far the phone has not frozen once since we upgraded the OS.

Thanks very much for your advice, krypto.

Elite I

hugheagle wrote:

Three days ago you recommended that, rather than going for a factory reset, we should download and install the latest OS version available for our Bold 9000 phone (from a network provider other than our own). I'm just reporting back to say that OS version 5.0.0.1036 (Bundle 1682, Platform 5.2.0.93) seems to be working well.

Memory still seems to evaporate sometimes for no apparent reason, even when we're not using the phone, but the starting memory (after a battery pull) is higher and the evaporation is slower. So far the phone has not frozen once since we upgraded the OS.

Thanks very much for your advice, krypto.

Excellent!  Thanks for the update hugheagle and I'm glad that this has helped.  :smileyhappy:

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Hi, I just upgraded my O2 UK Bold 9700 to the OS 6 release from them, and to be frank Im not a fna of it after playing with it all day.

So, bearing in mind I only plan to have this phone for a few more months, I really want to go back to OS 5.x that I know well and can use without thinking.

Am I right in thinking that if I follow the instructions in the OP this will do what I want. I've created a backup today and saved it so I know where it is so I think I should get back all my settings (email accounts, mails, sms, mms etc) BUT I will lose and 3rd party apps I have installed (Flickr, Twitter, Facebook, Runtastic etc)?

Elite I

Hi losingfocus,

Sorry for the delay in responding.  You are correct, you can use the methods described here to downgrade your OS.  The one catch is that if you manually downloaded and installed OS6 originally, then go to Control Panel > Programs & Features to first remove OS 6 from your computer.

I hope that works for you, but feel free to post back if you need any further assistance.