Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

robertn9355
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: How To Reload Your Operating System

[ Edited ]

I have a Blackberry Curve 8900 and am trying to upgrade device OS from version 4.6.1.310 ( carrier -Orange Romania) to version 5.0.0.592 (carrier - Winds Hella) per the the instructions in this thread. I have installed new OS on my PC, deleted vendor file and run Loader.exe, but I keep getting Application Loader error message "The blackberry Desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator." I have disconnected PC from Internet, but I always dead end with above message. I am running Windows 7 and have tried this on multiple PCs. Any ideas? Thanks.

New Contributor
Rizzy13
My Device: 9700

guys i have a severe problem... my bb9700 got that JAV error thingy and wouldnt turn on and since then it started working again but my sound profile icon in the top left of the blackberry has disappeared meaning i cant change the profile to silent or anything, it just stays on normal... before i could hold the letter Q and it would swap between vibrate and normal but after i followed these instructions i cant even do that... i have no clue what to do.. i go to options and then sounds and ring tones and nothing is there like it was before i got that error... i can still choose my own ringtones and stuff but i cant put my phone on silent or ne thing and choose what sound my phone plays when i get a text message PLEASE HELP

firedeye_4evr
My Device: blackberry Curve 8520

hey! i am facing problem with os 5 in my curve 8520. please help me.i have updated my bb with os 5 of carrier wind hellas but i live in ksa and my carrier is mobily. cani shift back to os 4.6?...os 5 i am facing problem. can i backdate my mobile form os 5 to os 4.6??...please help me.....

Naeem Ullah
azad
My Device: Curve 8900

hi Krypto

i bought my curve 8900 from t-mobile usa & now using the set from Bangladesh, my carrier is Grameenphone. I hav unlocked my set from t-mobile. is that be problem, if i update my device from downloading device os from grameenphone carrier. will it be locked again?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

azad wrote:

hi Krypto

i bought my curve 8900 from t-mobile usa & now using the set from Bangladesh, my carrier is Grameenphone. I hav unlocked my set from t-mobile. is that be problem, if i update my device from downloading device os from grameenphone carrier. will it be locked again?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

You can use any carriers device OS package as long as it is for the exact same model number. The lock versus unlock status of your BB is not affected by the OS package you install. If you do use a different carriers OS package, then insert, into the reload steps that Krypto provided, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
appscomputer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I really liked this thread. Very informative . If you need any help cleaning  infected files from your computer  visit a site  called http://www.computer-answers.com It has really helped to get rid of virus and spyware from my systems. I like what i watched.

subbu567
My Device: 8520

Dear Krypto,

awesome.I was able to fix the missing sms icon problem following this on my curve 8520.Thanks a zillion

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

I'm glad you guys are still finding these instructions useful!  Glad they're helping out!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
Viva
My Device: 8900

I have searched these boards for an answer to my problem, but haven't found it.

My problem:

I upgraded my 8900 from 4.6.1.307 to 5.0.0.1004, both from my own carrier. The installation seemed to go fine, but when I tried to restore the backed-up data the BB disconnects from the computer. It actually crashes and restarts. After a couple of tries restoring, BB doesn't even reboot anymore.

I tried reinstalling it again, reinstall is fine, restore doesn't work. Restoring from another computer, doesn't work either. I tried reinstalling the old OS, but it also seems to crash while restoring. Then restoring an older back-up, which had been successfully restored, also results in a crash.

I am now at a point where I have no idea what to try next. I have contacted my carrier, they suggest sending it in for a check-up. I would rather fix it myself.

Does this problem sound any bit familiar? Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks in advance.

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

The exact problem doesn't sound familiar, but here is a suggestion on how to proceed.  Because you're having problems with the actual OS, try the following:

1. Redownload and reinstall the OS to your computer.
  2. Download a program called BBSAK and install it to your computer: http://www.berryreview.com/2009/10/28/blackberry-swiss-army-knife-bbsak-1-7-released/
  3. Plug in your BlackBerry and connect, then click on the Wipe button.  Note, this will wipe the OS from your BlackBerry. (Because you've already backed up your device, you should be fine, but note that this will do the same sort of thing as a reformat).
  4. Once the wipe is complete, click on Load OS.  This will automatically open up the BlackBerry Application Loader.  Reload the OS using this.  Do not disconnect your BB from your computer.
  5. Once the phone has booted back up again, open Desktop Manager > Backup/Restore > Advanced.
  6. On the left side, use the drop down menu to select your backup file.  Now try restoring only the databases you need (e.g. Messages, Contacts, Calender, etc.).  Leave out anything that isn't required, and if you don't mind resetting things like sounds and the theme settings yourself again, I'd recommend leaving those things out and setting that up manually.

That should do it.

Keep me posted either way.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!