Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
ValkyrieX
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520
Accepted Solution

I cannot install OS 5 to my Blackberry Curve 8520

I've got a Blackberry Curve 8520, with BIS, from TIM Brasil.

I have downloaded from the Blackberry official website the new OS 5., and it does not appear in my Blackberry Desktop Manager in the Update list nor any other list, including the Loader.exe list.

I have everything up to date, except for the blackberry os, which currently is 4.6.1.272

Please help, quick.

Thanks

Mario

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: I cannot install OS 5 to my Blackberry Curve 8520

You do, for sure, have your BB data plan active and are able to get email, etc.?

That is required for updating to OS 5.0.

If the OS you downloaded is not specifically for the carrier that is branded on the device you will need to install the OS to the computer and then when you're done, delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

Then after you delete that, in that same apploader folder, is a file called Loader.exe.  Double click that to install the OS to your device. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
ValkyrieX
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520

Seems to be working now, thanks dude !

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

You're welcome.  thanks for the kudos!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
johndwilson
My Device: Not Specified

Re: I cannot install OS 5 to my Blackberry 9000

I've tried to upgrade from os 4.6 to os 5 but each time I run the application loader process, it successfully backups the BB, loads the software but then hits an error upon restarting which supposedly means that the OS is not on the device (507).

Using an official Orange UK os upgrade, I've attempted this numerous times and can only proceed by downgraded back to 4.6.

Any ideas welcomed?

Guru I
John_Clark

It sounds like an issue with your PC. Do you have another one you could use? You're not using a hub, are you? Have you tried a different USB port?
luis_anr26
My Device: blackberry curve 8520

ty very much this help me out updating the software of my device ty so much

runepk20
My Device: Curve 8330

Hi,

I have a BlackBerry Curve 8330 from Sprint. I had OS 4.6 on it and found a little while ago that I could upgrade it to OS 5 with a couple tricks. Specifically, I followed this guide:

http://www.sethb.com/weblog/?p=1244

I installed the loader onto my computer and got to the stage of loading the OS, though every time I try to load it, I get the following error message:

The BlackBerry Desktop Software does not have BlackBerry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless provider or system administrator.

I've already erased the OS and completely wiped my phone - is there anything I can do to load OS 5 onto my phone or revert to the old OS? I did a backup through BlackBerry Desktop Manager, though I didn't back up all apps and information through BBSAK.

Thanks!

alwynrk
My Device: 8520 Curve

I did the same by duly following the steps specified by you. The loader also delivered me successul completion of update. But still my blackberry shows the OS version as 4.6.1.314.

Seeking SMEs view and assistance in this regard.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

alwynrk wrote:

I did the same by duly following the steps specified by you. The loader also delivered me successul completion of update. But still my blackberry shows the OS version as 4.6.1.314.

Seeking SMEs view and assistance in this regard.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I'm not quite sure exactly what you followed, but these are the steps I always recommend.

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for each model. Please use those as reference as you proceed.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code