Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

alwynrk
My Device: 8520 Curve
My Carrier: Blackberry

Re: I cannot install OS 5 to my Blackberry Curve 8520

the following are the steps followed by me:

(1) delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

(2) Then after you delete that, in that same apploader folder, is a file called Loader.exe.  Double click that to install the OS to your device.

But still my blackberry shows the OS version as 4.6.1.314.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

In which case, several things could be happening:

1) You have only the 4.6.1.314 installed to your PC. You need to download and install to your PC the appropriate OS package that you wish to get onto your BB.

2) You have more than one OS package installed to your PC and Loader is not able to determine correctly what to do. Uninstall, from your PC, any packages except those you want to load to your BB.

3) The package you have installed to your PC is not correct for your specific device. OS packages are specific to BB device model numbers. If the package you have installed is for a different model number, then Loader will not be able to use it for your BB.

There are a lot more things that happen after what you showed as Step 2 (running Loader)...at some point, there should certainly have been some indication of the OS level that it was going to use. It should not be necessary to go through the entire process to determine that the old version is just being reloaded.

Also, deleting vendor.xml is only necessary when using an OS package that comes from a carrier that does not match the original carrier to which the BB was branded. It does no harm, but you've not given full details so I can't determine if this is necessary for you or not.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
jdaviddalusong
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Saudi

Bro. Where can i Download the OS. I Have same Problem. :smileysad: Please Reply ASAP.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jdaviddalusong wrote:

Bro. Where can i Download the OS. I Have same Problem. :smileysad: Please Reply ASAP.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Scroll up and read post 10...it has links (and those have further links) to everything necessary.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.