Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Regular Visitor
eshabouk
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: safaricom/zain

Internet Service in Kenya

I am a missionary in Kenya and received a Blackberry 8900 as a gift which would allow me to have access to the internet.  I have discovered that I need to purchase 2000 shillings in credit each month before I can activate the internet due to regulations by Blackberry; not the internet providers, in this case Safaricom or Zain.  This is way too much money for me to afford the internet each month.  Other phones such as Samsung and Nokia do not require this, in fact all you have to do is activate with the service providers and they have different programs such as 10 shillings per use or 8 shillings per day for unlimited use.   I cannot afford a new phone nor can I pay the 2000 shillings per month, so the whole point of the gift of the Blackberry is down the tubes.  I am also disappointed because I was excited to use the e-reader to read e-books downloaded from the internet.  I am wondering why Blackberry would require this, when their competitors do not?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Internet Service in Kenya

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Sorry, but, from what you describe, you have been misinformed. RIM has absolutely nothing to do with the contract between a carrier and it's users...that is 100% in the hands of the carriers. Typically, in order to use the enhanced and proprietary services available to BB's, what is required is an adequate service plan from the carrier to enable those services. RIM and the carriers must host additional infrastructure that is strictly used by BB users and no others. Hence, the carriers tend to charge a premium rate for such premium services. But, again, RIM does not dictate to the carriers that they charge such premiums of their BB clients...just that those clients have the right plan from the carrier to enable those services...but the pricing for that is between the user and the carrier.

BB's are completely different from other SmartPhones...that is just the way it is.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mubarak83
My Device: 7130
My Carrier: Safaricom

An old post but here goes:

You could download a service book to your BB* which would enable you to surf the 'net using the BB browser icon. The process is a bit long-winded, would need to be connected to a PC, but its worth it. I had the same problem(now solved) with my BB 7130. All my queries for internet was met by "sorry sir, you'd have to pay Ksh. 2000 to access the BB Internet Service(BIS)"

My 2 cents worth.

(*BB = Blackberry)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
snorgah
My Device: BB8900
My Carrier: Zain, KE

Hi, I was in a similar predicament when we moved from South Africa to Kenya. In South Africa, the BB service was less than $10/month and then in Kenya I was asked to pay KES2000 a month for BB service. that was ridiculous - I sold my BB8900 added some money and bought an iphone. I was sad selling the BB because I've been used to BB but under the circumstance, that was the most prudent decision to take - KES 2000x12 is a lot of money. I spend less than KES300/month on data bundle with my iphone. I agree with the other contributor who said the tariffs are set by the service providers. RIM would have to step in otherwise they would be losing a share of the market and would losing users like you and I. hope someone from RIM is reading this

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
kaju
My Device: 8300
My Carrier: safaricom

Mubarak, thank you for your post.

Do you mind expounding on howto surf the 'net using the BB browser icon without enabling the GSM buddle?

Also my device is showing BES activation icon..Wonder how to revert it to BIS..

Much appreciated for any help

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mubarak83
My Device: 7130
My Carrier: Safaricom

Hello Kaju,

Sorry for not posting earlier, I did not receive a notification via email.

If  you want to use the blackberry internet browser to surf WITHOUT having to pay for BIS charges or without using BES, you may use the Service Books  provided by Anworm, follow instructions here: http://bb.anworm.com/enable-blackberry-browser-without-bisbes-2/

To download the service books yourself go to: http://depositfiles.com/files/0eg53h1g3

The instructions could be a bit difficult to understand but if you're determined you will eventually succeed.

You'll have to monitor your internet usage so that you don't eat up all your airtime. I believe its KShs 8 per every megabyte downloaded.

@Eshabouk: BIS charges for Safaricom Kenya have gone down from KSh. 2000 to KSh. 1000 per month (includes unlimited internet browsing, facebook, twitter and you get to have the integrated email support which has the oft used signature "Sent from my Blackberry" you may integrate upto 5 emails. 

All the best.

Please use plain text.