Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
climb45
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile
Accepted Solution

Is Blackberry Browser part of Blackberry Services

I have a Playbook and want to increase its functionality by investing in a Blackberry Smartphone. There are a couple of things I'm not sure about and would appreciate forum participants' advice:

1. Does the Blackberry Browser automatically come with the Curve 9320 or is it only available if you pay for Blackberry Services? 
  2. Is there any other functionality (other than Blackberry Messaging and email access) that comes with the paid for services?
  3. If I connect a Blackberry Smartphone to my Playbook will I be able to run the smartphone installed apps on my Playbook, even though there might not be an equivalent Playbook app?
  4. What's the oldest version of Outlook that can be synched with a smartphone?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Is Blackberry Browser part of Blackberry Services

[ Edited ]

Hello...and apologies for the delayed reply.

climb45 wrote:

Does the Blackberry Browser automatically come with the Curve 9320 or is it only available if you pay for Blackberry Services?  

The browser comes as part of the core BB OS on the device, but depending on the OS level, it may or may not be able to function without subscription to an adequate data plan. Some (the newest) OS levels allow the BB Browser to function just fine via WiFi only, while others restrict the browser to running strictly via BIS (even when WiFi is the only data connection). Opera can be installed to the BB as a replacement browser, and normally runs just fine when WiFi is available. Many 3rd party apps have configuration settings inside of them to direct the app to use BIS, BES, WiFi, etc. for their data pathway...one must be sure to have the apps configured correctly so as to allow them access to a functional pathway, especially when BIS is not present due to no data plan subscription.

climb45 wrote:

Is there any other functionality (other than Blackberry Messaging and email access) that comes with the paid for services? 

See this for general guidance:

It is not quite fully updated for the most recent OS levels (see above re:BB Browser), but it's a reasonable general guideline to use.

climb45 wrote:

If I connect a Blackberry Smartphone to my Playbook will I be able to run the smartphone installed apps on my Playbook, even though there might not be an equivalent Playbook app? 

Other than BBM and SMS (in the most recent PB/BB/Bridge versions), I know of no way to run, from your PB, anything about your BB at all. On the BB, it has the ability to remote control the PB (via BB Bridge), but not the other way around as far as I understand. Since you will not be subscribing to BIS, you will not have BBM anyway.

climb45 wrote:

What's the oldest version of Outlook that can be synched with a smartphone? 

See this for guidance:

• KB12268Synchronization support for BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

It is not a function of the smartphone per se...but rather the Desktop Software version that is in use.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
climb45
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thank you for providing such a detailed and useful response. In the end I went for a deal with free Blackberry Services for a year. Your comments were however much appreciated as they will help me decide whether to stay with a Blackberry Services plan at the end of the free period.

Incidentally, others might like to know that Outlook 2002 syncs with Blackberry Desktop 7.1.0.32, even though it doesn't appear in the list given in article KB12268.

Thank you once again sdgardne for taking the time to help me.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.