Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Solutions: 6,064
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Lost or Stolen BlackBerry -- What to do?

[ Edited ]

Have you lost your BlackBerry or had it stolen?

This question is often asked here in the Forum, and specific information in one thread would be a good resource and a good place for those to ask questions who might face either circumstance. And, let me say to start -- Sorry about your loss. Now, let's minimize the damage!

Tracking the device:  Unless you have previously installed on your BlackBerry a software such as BlackBerry Protect or SmrtGuard, there is no way to track or trace the physical location of the device. BlackBerry Protect is free and avaialble in most all countries for BlackBerry users. I highly advise you install it for its over-the-air data backup if for no other reason.

When you lose your BlackBerry, Protect can pinpoint the last known location of your device -- as long as it is still powered on and the SIM card is still inserted and the SIM has not been blocked or disabled by your mobile provider. Since a thief often will first remove the SIM card, that will obviously not allow you to locate it. Protect can also remotely perform a backup of the data and wipe the device should you have left it with no password protection. You can also send a "please return me" message to the screen of the BlackBerry, or offer a reward if found.

• BlackBerry, the company, cannot track your device.
  • Your mobile provider cannot track your device (except sometimes they can pinpoint its general location via the cell tower it last transmitted, but usally only with a court or police order to do so).
  • Unless you previously installed a GPS tracking application on the device, you cannot track it. You can't install it after the fact.
  • Never would I recommend tracking a known stolen BlackBerry to look for the thief. Be wise. That's a job for law enforcement (and Chuck Norris).

Next, call your mobile provider. If your BlackBerry is unretrievable, you need to ask your service provider to block or suspend the SIM so that no one can make charges to your account. Some service providers will also block or suspend the IMEI / PIN of the device also, so that it can no longer be used on the BlackBerry network, but not all will do this. Not all carriers will do this, only calling and asking will answer the question.

Then, report it stolen or lost to the local law enforcement. There are numerous stories of BlackBerrys being found in cabs or turned in off the street to local police or sheriff's offices. You might also check a local dealer in the area you lost it... I've seen lost devices returned to a Verizon or Vodafone store, because the 'finder' of the device just felt it was easier. I have a personal friend who recently left their BlackBerry in a cab, he hailed a second cabbie who radio'd and drove to meet the first cabbie to retrieve the device. I saw a listing on Craig's List recently of a person offering to return a BlackBerry they had discovered underneath their theater seat.

What about your data? Often, the data on the device is more valuable to the owner than the actual hardware of the BlackBerry. If you have a recent backup (made using BlackBerry Protect or even your Desktop BlackBerry Software), that data can be restored to a new BlackBerry.

If you have questions not covered above, please ask!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9850

Re: Lost or Stolen BlackBerry -- What to do?

Hi, your post I'm sure was helpful to many.

I have a problem that goes a step further--my BB had BB Protect installed, but no password protection, when someone stole my phone.  The carrier tells me that whomever has it has "wiped" the device (master reset?).....is there any way to restore my data when my new phone arrives? Or, I also have Total Equipment Protection app--can that help me?

The only pictures I had of family, some members who have passed away, were on the memory card.  If I can't locate the phone, they are lost :' (

But there are also hundreds of phone numbers I infrequently call, but are my only connections to important people in my life; then there's also phone numbers for jobs I've applied to and the numbers I'm supposed to follow up with calls to (and names, email addresses, etc)?! 

I really need all the info I can get--is there any way to restore what the theif wiped, at least???

Any help would be much appreciated!

Baarbie_B wrote:

I have a problem that goes a step further--my BB had BB Protect installed,

I really need all the info I can get--is there any way to restore what the theif wiped, at least???

Protect was installed and you DID have it making daily or weekly over-the-air backups? Yes, I hope you did.

So, when you get your new BlackBerry in, you will install Protect and log in and be able restore much of your lost data.

Pictures and stuff on media card, no. I am sorry, they are gone. Protect DOES backup your contacts, calendar, memos, tasks, browser bookmarks, and text messages and on the most recent released version, your Password Keeper data.

You can login from your PC to Protect and see what the last backup was made by your device, here:

http://us.blackberry.com/apps/blackberry-apps/protect.html

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hi,

Well, apparently a master reset, which uninstalls BB Protect wipes all your data backups--and now my first backup of NOTHING has been performed....and no other backups even show.  I had had the Torch less than a year, and had restored from my flip when I got the Torch in October--so I don't understand why all restore points are gone.  I'd be happy if I could even just get that info, at this point.

Is there any way to contact BB Protect to get my data un-wiped?  I just don't understand this.  But restore was not even an option, and then it backed-up, even though I kept exiting to not take the chance of it overwriting anything.  I am soooo frustrated.

Other ideas?

Did you log in from you PC like i advised above, to look?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Yes, and nothing was there under data, nor was my device listed or anything.

:Boat:  Looks like the wipe got everything, and it's too late.  So no one to contact at BB Protect for help/retrieval I guess?

Or anything?

Thanks!   :Helpsmilie:

Wiping your handheld device will not wipe the data from the saved offline Protect backups. My guess is that you might have had it installed on your BlackBerry, but never set to backup anything.

But no, there's no way to retrieve what isn't there.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: 9300

Hello guys,my friend lost her device yesterday,how can I tract it?it had no Smartguard installed in it but had BB protect.Can any1 help me out PLZ ASAP?

Alimontari wrote:
Hello guys,my friend lost her device yesterday,how can I tract it?it had no Smartguard installed in it but had BB protect.Can any1 help me out PLZ ASAP?

First, read the initial post above.

Then, on a PC, have your friend login her BlackBerryID at this URL...   protect.blackberry.com

Then, use the options presented to locate the device.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300

What about getting the bbm pin blocked?

My handset has been blacklisted but i know ythe bbm is still in use!