Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Solutions: 6,136
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Lost or Stolen BlackBerry -- What to do?

Good idea. I wish we'd have Protect updated for BlackBerry10 models to the point it is working for the older legacy devices.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: TIM

i've lost my BB curve 9360, and I want to change to BB Q10. I've made the back-up with Desktop BB software. I'm I able to recover all data is I buy the Q10 and use the Link software?
thanks

Piergiorgio, yes you'll be able to do a restore with Link. There could be issues if you has address book groups in the old data.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry z10

Sorry for asking again. But could anyone reply to me, please

I read all th above and what I would like to know is if the sim card was removed after being stolen with battery attached, can I trace blackberry if GPS is on? Also, while the GPS is on and if the thief comes across free wifi spot for a short while, say for 3-5 mins, is it still be able to be traced using blackberry protect

TADA

tadayo wrote:

Sorry for asking again. But could anyone reply to me, please

I read all th above and what I would like to know is if the sim card was removed after being stolen with battery attached, can I trace blackberry if GPS is on? Also, while the GPS is on and if the thief comes across free wifi spot for a short while, say for 3-5 mins, is it still be able to be traced using blackberry protect

TADA

Perhaps so.. I have never tried in that manner on a Z10. If the BBID is still connected and on Wifi, I should think it is possible.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for your reply.

My friend who has android phone with android device manager tested today without sim, phone on, wifi on at the station/ free wifi spot. Using his laptop, it located the phone. Also, while locating the phone on the laptop, if you first couldn't locate the phone but leave the computer on, it locates the phone as soon as the phone's got access with wifi and contunue locating the latest position despite turning his phone off from time to time, and the last/latest located place remains in the computer unless you sign off the divice manager or refresh the site. About GPS, it didn't make any deference if it is on or off.  

So if the android device manager works the same as blackberry protect, it means it works. It is highly impossible to get back stolen phone for me now, but for the future I maybe act more quickly to find where it is when stolen. 

I can't really compare android phone functions with that of BlackBerry... but as I said, I suspect it will work.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thank you very much, JSanders.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-mobile

My Blackberry Z10 was stolen on arrival froma trip on sunday evening , june 29th at jfk airport, i realized my phone was missing after i had left the airport within 10 minutes there was alot of traffic, byt the time i came back to check or look for it, it was almost an hour due to traffic.

Long story short i remembered turning on Blackberry Protect , and i logged on to my account online i was able to track it to a location in NY , it as shocking to discover my phone was within 500 meters of the  NYPD 7th Precint in New York

i didnt get my hopes too high , but i had hoped someone might have found it and turned it in at the percint, but i was wrong, turns out whoever had the phone liveswithin 500 meters of the precint, i reported it lost/ stolen and the officer offered to drive around to see if we could fnd it using the " lound siren feature on blackberry protect" i sent messages to dislay on the screen of my stolen phone, asking whoever had my phone to return it for a reward to the police precint. the phone stayed at the same location for aout 9 hours as  i had located it around 2 am on july 1st, at 11 am the phone went offline, as whoever had the phone had turned it iff, i was dnot abe to see the battery charge or cell coverage for my phone.

finally, all i want to do is retreive my data, i read your post, but there was only one thing i wanted to ask you. you said that blackberry protect can be used to retrieve data from a  stolen phone,

does this apply to the blackberry 10. because such a menu or feature was not available on my blackberry protect and i read online such a feature is not available for the z10

pls advise what to do, and confirm if this is true or not, i am holding out for a few more days , hopefully it is turned back on and i can retrieve my data, as i have very important files on my blacberry

device

i aso realized i had activated drop box on my device prior to the phone being stolen. i have  emailed them to try and see if they ca remotely initiate a settign to automatically upload all my files

Thanks

Joel.O

joel8915, you may be in luck.

On your Z10 (when you get another one), open Settings (swipe down from the top black bezel) > BlackBerry Protect.

On that screen you will see a RESTORE and the note "This one time feature allows you to quickly and easily transfer your previous BlackBerry Protect backup from a previous device."

So, you should be able to restore from that back, one time.

Dropbox will not be able upload your contacts, etc., as your contacts and such as not located within Dropbox.

Knowledge Base Updates