Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
joel8915
My Device: Z10

Re: Lost or Stolen BlackBerry -- What to do?

J Sanders,

thansk for your reply, do you have an idea what kind of information i might be able to retreieve . using this option.

ad also does the feature back up data , if so where and how ( is it a backend thing?

Thanks

JSanders
Solutions: 6,027
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

joel8915 wrote:

J Sanders,

thansk for your reply, do you have an idea what kind of information i might be able to retreieve . using this option.

ad also does the feature back up data , if so where and how ( is it a backend thing?

Have you done yet, what I suggested above?

I don't know what you're asking about "backend thing"?

On BlackBerry10 devices, Protect does not currently backup data.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
MilliotNgoma
My Device: BB Torch, v6.0.0.666, Model No RDG71 UW

The advice is timely, though I thought it would be easier to trek the stolen or lost device using its IMEI number even if the SIM card has been removed. PITY! But, nevertheless, advice taken.
JSanders

Only your mobile provider can track via the imei, Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
MilliotNgoma
My Device: BB Torch, v6.0.0.666, Model No RDG71 UW

Thanks Sanders. At least now I know what our mobile providers are capable of doing, just in case I loose my precious berry.
New Contributor
joel8915

Hi There, sorry to dash your hopes, but since june i havent found jack, your cell providers won't track anything for you not without high powerred attrneys and LE. you will have to file countless legal paperwork,

on the bright side hopefully blackberry releases  the  BLACKBERRY BLEND for all its devices,

i am hoping i can get back my data if this happens

New Contributor
joel8915

[ Edited ]

Hi Sanders

yes i did, i got anyother device and tried what you told me to do, there was no back up file available when i logged in to blackberry protect on the new device with my blackberry ID, it seems it either didnt back up  anything or it disappeared quite puzzling, even when i had blackberry protect turned on all through my trip till my re-entry back home to the US

i tried LE -Law enforcement , and so far nothing, T-mobile told me the last activityy using that phone that was stolen is the same night i tracked it, i got a gut feeling its close by which i find weired, very very weird. all i want is my data,

do you think my data can be retrieved by the thief if  Blackberry Z10 is taken apart, i trust blackberry's security but what are the odds, is there like a hard drive unit in my device, that they can go after ,  i have still kept my line active and also told my carrier not to block the imei number and ever since not once has the device been used, which i also find puzzling, they did use my sim to make a few calls and access the internet using my sim in another phone,

but its hard to track that according  to LE.

its really crazy, do you have any idea if blackberry will be making the  BLACKBERRY BLEND Available anytime for the Z10 and also can you advocate to blackberry to do something maybe like a feature for its current customers and future customers to hepl them retrieve their data, like a feature where all their data, files including pictures can be retrieved,  in the event their phones are stolen , this could be a selling point for blackberry to entice new customers especially if they see something security related besides the boring apps that all do the same thing like the other phone companies, eg. track but don't aid in the recovery , most tracking apps only track to a limit of 500 feet or higher  due to the lack of accuracy from GPS signals.

thanks and a sorry for the long post, what do you recommend i do since i tried what you told me, besides sit and wait

JSanders

[ Edited ]

joel8915 wrote:

Hi Sanders

yes i did, i got anyother device and tried what you told me to do, there was no back up file available when i logged in to blackberry protect on the new device with my blackberry ID

Hey, back in this thread on July 3rd, I wrote: "On BlackBerry10 devices, Protect does not currently backup data."

joel8915 wrote:
do you have any idea if blackberry will be making the  BLACKBERRY BLEND Available anytime for the Z10 and also can you advocate to blackberry to do something maybe like a feature for its current customers and future customers to hepl them retrieve their data, like a feature where all their data, files including pictures can be retrieved,  in the event their phones are stolen , this could be a selling point for blackberry to entice new customers especially if they see something security related besides the boring apps that all do the same thing like the other phone companies, eg. track but don't aid in the recovery , most tracking apps only track to a limit of 500 feet or higher  due to the lack of accuracy from GPS signals.

The apps are present already to back up all data, pictures, media, contacts, etc., I use BackupPro and this week for Christmas, Ultimate Backup is even free for download if you it now.

I don't know why BlackBerry stopped providing backup for BlackBerry10 devices, but it has not since the intro of BlackBerry10 in January 2013. Older legacy device to backup.

joel8915 wrote:

thanks and a sorry for the long post, what do you recommend i do since i tried what you told me, besides sit and wait

Unless you had a backup, using Link or another app, I don't know that you'll ever see that data again.

99% of security on mobile devices depends on the user activating and being proactive.

Knowledge Base Updates