Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
ClayBondi
My Device: Not Specified

Media Music Player: songs are in memory, but not linked to Artists, Albums or Genres

I have a Blackberry Bold with OS v4.6.0.144 and with 16G microSD card installed.  I have installed BlackBerry Media Sync v1.0.1.6 and have successfully downloaded music files from iTunes onto the memory card. 

I can play music files under "All Songs" or "Shuffle Songs", but I can't find them under "Artists", "Albums" or "Genres".  For example, under "Albums", all of the albums are listed, but if I select one to play, it says "* No Songs *".

The links between the Songs and Artists, Albums & Genres seem to be lost.

Can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Media Music Player: songs are in memory, but not linked to Artists, Albums or Genres

if I were you :
  1. I'd copy all the music files on my PC
  2. empty the /music files from Windows Explorer
  3. unplug the Blackberry, then go in the Media application
  4. plug it back, an copy the music files without the .dat file
  5. unplug the Blackberry, then go in the Media application and wait for a few hours for the indexation to finish.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ClayBondi

Re: Media Music Player: songs are in memory, but not linked to Artists, Albums or Genres

Thanks for the advice.  I'm not sure I understand, though.  Are you saying that BB Media Sync doesn't work?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

I am not saying that.
I am saying that any IT thing may have something that gets corrupt from time to time. I am giving you a way of getting rid of that corrupted thing, and replace it by a new one.

You only lose a bit of time.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
saltydog

I have a similar problem | bought a BB Bold recently, in good part because of the promise to be able to use 16 and 32GB microSDHC cards i have had a 4GB card in there working great (for the 2 months i've owned the Bold) i got a 16GB Sandisk card a couple days ago and am having problems with the media player indexing not working properly i have copied about 3900 mp3s onto the card in the folder ...\Blackberry\music these copied fine, from my computer - both directly via the SD reader on my computer or through the USB to the cable to the BB bold itself with the Mass Storage enabled. with mass storage mode enabled i can see all the mp3 files, using Windows Explorer, and the "properties" gives me the correct number of files and total size of all the files, which is around 14.2GB the card will format on the BB Bold and the Bold gives the correct size 14.8GB free, with no files just after formatting, and 14.2GB used 0.6GB free when all the mp3 files are there so the card works fine, and the BB Bold can apparently read it, format it etc etc the problem is when i use media player on the BB Bold the initial indexing scan (which lasted about 1 hour) found only 445 files so, without removing the card, i did a battery pull and then it automatically started to re-index and gave about 1100, then stopped. so i did another 2 battery pulls and eventually got up 2786 files, and then no more files on several subsequent batttery pulls i was frustrated by this, and so have redone this 3 times now - starting with a completely reformatted card each time and the result is always the same only about 2700 of the 3900 mp3 files are indexed. so i'm missing nearly 1/4 of songs on my card furthermore, the indexed files play OK from the ALL SONGS or SHUFFLE PLAY but none of them shows up in GENRE, there are NO ARTISTS and NO ALBUMS a bit of info BB 9000 OS v4.6.0.162 (Platform 4.0.0.155) microedition media version 1.1 microedition file version 1.0 any suggestions as to how to get the all the mp3's indexed?
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

using windows explorer, remove all files that are not songs.
especially the BBThumb.*** files. They are hidden so you may need to deactivate the "hide system files" options in the windows explorer.

basically it is the indexation file. Remove it, then your blackberry will index it again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ClayBondi

I tried this, and now I have hte links between my solngs and their artists, albums and genres, but not all of the somgs and albums etc are catalogued.  So I don't think this solves the problem.  Sounds like blackberry software fault to me.  Any other ideas?
Please use plain text.
saltydog

Many thanks Xandrex.

I had only put mp3 on the SDHC  but I did find over 800 of the BBThumb*.*

I deleted all of those but then, unfortunately, had the same problem. Only about 400 files indexed the first scan and then with repeated battery pulls I got progressively up to about the same level of over 1000 still not indexed.

Any other suggestions?

(apologies if this reply appears twice, it wasn't clear whether it posted from my office today) 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

did you really wait for several hours ?
I think you are too hasty.

Please use plain text.
saltydog

I used the "Scanning" banner that is visible at the bottom of the screen, when the media player is running, as an indication about when the scan happening and when the scan was completed. (This seemed to me to be reasonable as once this banner disappeared then no more songs were added to the index, as revealed by the total number displayed briefly when starting to play "All songs" or "Shuffle songs".  But if the scanning is still going on after the scanning banner has disappeared please let me know. )

The first time through, the scanning banner was there for nearly an hour.  And then each additional time (with successive battery pulls) the scanning banner was displayed for shorter and shorter times. (Only a few minutes by the time of the scan that hit the maximum number of songs. Then the scanning banner was not displayed with successive battery pulls, and the total number of songs shown did not change.)   The only thing that i've been able to do to provoke successive scanning is the battery pull.  If there is a way to do cause the media player to scan without that battery pull that would be good to know.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.