Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
rjp1968
My Device: Curve 9320

Mobile Hotspot OS 7.1 & T-Mobile

Hi,

I'm having the common "activation required" problem when trying to use the mobile hotspot.

I have spoken to T-Mobile but they are absolutely clueless. They agree that my plan & settings should allow this and have tried various resets but I still get the activation message.

Looks like there is something they are not setting correctly.

Does anyone know what I need to explain to T-Mobile to get this working?

I tried a Virgin Media SIM with PAYG blackberry service and it worked first time so it's not the phone.

New Contributor
rjp1968

Re: Mobile Hotspot OS 7.1 & T-Mobile

Update: Just had a very useful conversation with someone in T-Mobile technical support

He thinks the problem is with the APN - apparently a few weeks ago T-Mobile removed the APN reserved for mobile hotspots and he thinks that this has not been reflected in the blackberry servers that authenticate.

i.e. all phones now use the general apn and so are being reject by authentication (which is looking for the old APN)

So...if anyone is also having problems with t-mobile this could be the issue. no news on when it will be resolved

New Contributor
rjp1968

Update 2: T-Mobile (UK) have got the hotspot function working on my phone

Not sure what they have done and it is a bit clumsy (not sure if this is down to how Blackberry implemented it)

Hoping there is further configuration to be done

This is now what happens for me:

1) Tick hotspot option

2) Warning message appears saying I need to activate - a new "continue" button has appeared

3) Click "continue" and it opens the browser , goes to a Blackberry URL displaying the message "you are now connected to the internet"

4) Hotspot works

A weird thing is that the phone still thinks it needs activation (as shown in the settings) and the hotspot actually works from when the warning message is displayed - i.e. I don't actually need to continue (I only "need" to do this to make the message disappear becuase it is a modal pop-up and it gets in the way...)

As I alluded to above, this feels like a temporary fix but it does work so thanks to T-Mobile

New Contributor
nugolabs
My Device: Storm 9530

Please how do I config the hotspot on my blackberry to work for my android phone. Do I need any configuration before I can actually get connected to the phone to make the internet works. Tnx.