Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Mobile Hotspot on 7.1

sakthivel wrote:

I have one more question Blackberry Z10 support BB plain are not, what are the OS in that mobile

I'm sorry, I do not understand, from those words, what your question is. Can you try again please?

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
trevorclark83
My Device: curve 9360

The download restrictions in south africa, we cannot download content, no I am trying to see if there is a fix here as I could use my hotspot and phone as a modem before, also don't want to loose all contacts and re download everything again and again
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
trevorclark83

The download restrictions in south africa, we cannot download content, no I am trying to see if there is a fix here as I could use my hotspot and phone as a modem before, also don't want to loose all contacts and re download everything again and again
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

trevorclark83 wrote:

I'm sorry, but I still do not understand..."content" could mean hundreds of different things, especially in the context of the discussion in this thread. I can't even tell, from your post, if you are attempting to download via your device, your computer, or something else.

If I have to guess, I'm guessing you did an update directly on your device (wireless) and updated your BB OS to a new version. But, given what you've said, you must have already been on 7.1 since HotSpot didn't natively exist until then...unless perhaps that "before" meant using some other tools rather than the native BB tools for that (e.g., some carrier-provided app perhaps?). But, now that you've done some OTA update, the function is gone.

But, that's a total guess on my part, because from your posts so far, I really do not understand your situation at all.

Please be more explicit.

Thanks!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
trevorclark83

Basically what I used to do was download mp3 songs and stuff like that, now I have been told via MTN that RIM has placed restrictions on downloads like that. What I am trying to do is use my phone as a modem or as a hotspot but when ever I do this I get some sort of error. MTN have told me there is a problem with my phone and not on their side
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are still mixing two different things together, so it remains rather confusing what is going on. Your download issues and your Hot Spot issues are completely separate, as far as I can tell.

Concerning your download issues -- BlackBerry places no restrictions on downloading content...if any restrictions exist, they are placed by MTN, not by BlackBerry. It is quite sad that, very often, when a carrier does something that their users don't like, the carrier tends to "blame BlackBerry" as that is a very convenient method to not have to admit what they've done (and it is nearly impossible for the end user to obtain any official information to refute the allegation that their carrier has made). We actually have many many posts in this site concerning issues with your specific carrier placing various restrictions on things, having network congestion issues, not providing adequate support, and other problems...your carrier is quite known (as per reports here) to be a bit of a problem. But, alas, in this user-to-user community, there is nothing to be done beyond merely listening to those reports...we can do nothing about the situation.

As for your HotSpot issues, those are completely separate from your download issues...but, from "I get some sort of error", I of course can diagnose nothing at all. Perhaps if you provide the complete content of the error message, we might be able to make a better guess. But, from just those words, there is no useful guesswork to be done.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
trevorclark83

I though as much, South Africa is very flippen stingy with bandwidth LOL.

Ok for my hotspot issue its the same as the begining post, " activation required you need to contact your service provider "

And when using my phone as a modem with the usb then blackberry desktop it says it can't establish connection
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

trevorclark83 wrote:
Ok for my hotspot issue its the same as the begining post, " activation required you need to contact your service provider "

Ummm...pardon, but that's pretty self-explanatory, isn't it? Your carrier controls if you are allowed, under the terms of your present service plan from them, the use of this specific function.

trevorclark83 wrote:

And when using my phone as a modem with the usb then blackberry desktop it says it can't establish connection

That could be either related to your service plan (both HotSpot and using your BB as a USB modem are service plan dependent), or something else...after you validate with your provider (along with HotSpot) that you are allowed to use this function as well as that you are not required to use some app specifically distributed by them (as opposed to the OS-included app), then start here:

• KB05178 Support for tethered modem use

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
trevorclark83

Ok just spent a bit of time on the phone to MTN, they insist I am enabled and allowed to use both functions that I must take my phone in cause a setting has change on my phone, which I don't get cause I never changed anything on my phone. They saying its the phone and not them
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, my guess is that, since you now have 3 different things that used to work (HotSpot, Tethered Modem, and Downloading), and that all of those are carrier controlled services, that they (MTN) have done something to change what you can do on your service plan, and that all 3 of these are now being blocked at the carrier. If my guess is correct, then your battle is with MTN...for I know of no settings on the device (save for perhaps an IT Policy) that could block these services from functioning.

But, I also agree with them that someone needs your device in their hands to check all of this out. And that someone should be a qualified BB technician of your carriers (rather than some 3rd party) so that they can also look "behind the scenes" at their systems to see if they can figure this out.

I don't think that any further internet-distance attempts at self-diagnosis will be of any use...from all you've said, I deduce a problem at the carrier. From what they've so far told you, they are claiming it to be a device problem (it would be nice if they were to give some details...). That's a catch-22...and resolution of that conflict requires, IMHO, in-person and device-in-hand assistance.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.