Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
labisamdeboye
My Device: 8830 World Edition

My BB8830 World Edition Not Connecting to GSM Network

I have a BB8830 World Edition which was working perfectly before but just lost radio connections.  It now displays SOS at the network notification area and would never connect to any GSM Network Carrier.  I've swapped Sims, used the JL_Cmder to wipe and also restored back to factory setting but problem persisted. Please whatt can I do.  I will be very glad to find a solution.  Thank you. - Afolabi, Lagos - Nigeria

Contributor
tazenui
My Device: Not Specified

Re: My BB8830 World Edition Not Connecting to GSM Network

I imagine you didn't purchase your device in Nigeria,yea?If am correct,could you let me know if the device is from America or Europe.And which carrier was it using before...Vodafone?AT&T?T-Mobile?Vodafone?etc
New Contributor
labisamdeboye

Thanks for ur response. It was from America and on AT&T
Contributor
tazenui

You will have then to purchase an unlock code for that phone before it can connect to a network in Nigeria.It will set you back about $20.And you can purchase it off of the internet with your phones IMEI #& a credit card.How'd I know?I buy and redistribute AT&T&Verizon wireless BlackBerry devices in South Africa.Every one of them needs an unlock code.I get my brother in California to purchase unlock codes for me because unlock code sellers won't accept my SA credit card.
New Contributor
labisamdeboye

Thanks 4 ur efforts. But pls note that the phone is unlocked wt confirmation on the phone options page. Do I need to buy an unlock key again? I just need to be sure because the error disayed is "Suplementary Error, General Error"
Contributor
tazenui

There is actually a way to verify if your device needs an unlock code.Follow these simple steps...if you get to step 10 and a slot opens up for you to enter an unlock code, you know you need to unlock your phone.If the phone is unlocked already,you get to step 10 and no slot will open up for you to enter an unlock code.Good luck!
1. Ensure the SIM Card thatcame pre-installed in the 9530 is inserted (can also be unlocked with any Sim card)
2. Go to 'Manage Connections'
3. Click on 'Turn All Connections Off'
4. Go to 'Options'
5. Go back to 'Options'
6. Click on 'Advanced Options'
7. Click on 'SIM Card'
8. Type 'MEPD' (letters will not appear on-screen but a menu will pop up)
9. Type 'MEP2' (user will be prompted to enter MEP code)
10. Enter the unlock code (for example '1234567890123456')
11. Reboot device
12. Go to 'Manage Connections'
13. Click on 'Restore Connections'
14. Device is now u
New Contributor
labisamdeboye

Sorry for the troble.At step 8, with MEPD, text appeared as follows:
SIM-Disabled
Network-Inactive
Network Subset-Disabled
Service Provider-Disabled
Corporate-Disabled

Once in a while it will connect and display GSM. But when you dial a number it will not go and after a long wait, it will display "Supplementary Service Error: General Error.
When I try to send text, it will return another error.
Contributor
tazenui

Try repairing your device's memory.Let's if that will work.Click Options>Advanced Options>Memory>Menu Key>Repair>Device Memory>Yes...then wait a minute or two.Do a hard reboot.See if it works.
New Contributor
labisamdeboye

Too bad.  The content of the Advance Options doesn't contain "Memory".  So I could not continue memory repair.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Hello labisamdeboye

that option is available in OS5. I guess you have OS4.
I do not know if that option is available in OS4, we will have to wait for a contributor that knows to come across your inquiry.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: