Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
skayes

New Message Icon - Can't find the messages! :)

Okay so I've had my BlackBerry Curve 8310 for a week now.  Just been tooling around with it to learn how it works on my own.  Today I was trying to register the BIS to log into my email account to create a filter to stop sending my Gmail Sent mail back to my phone (so annoying).  Anyway, Tried registering as a new user via PC.  I entered my PIN and IMEI and it told me that an account already existed for that PIN.  I thought that was strange, I hadn't registered before?  SO just out of curiousity I clicked on the 'forgot my password' link and had it sent to my phone.  I see an icon saying I have a new messge however I cannot FIND the message.  Thought I did something stupid or wrong so I clicked resend for the password and again I see now I have two and then three new messages (third time is supposed to be the charm right?) on the icon but can't find these messages!  I looked in SMS/MMS folder, looked in Gmail and BlackBerry mail folders but still cannot locate these messages!  Where the heck did they go??

BTW I finally registered with the BIS through my phone and was able to complete it there and then logged onto my PC and created the filter I wanted.  So I'm cool with that.  I just need to get that stupid new message icon off my phone.  Dunno if it helps but when I get new emails, the number on the message icon increases, so it must be something to do with email..? 

Please Help!  :smileyhappy:

ss 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor II
d_fisher

Re: New Message Icon - Can't find the messages! :)

Go to Messages > Saved Messages and make sure the unread message is not in there.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
skayes

Nope, no saved messages in there.  Last night I had taken a picture with my phone then clicked to email it to someone and when I hit "send" on the email it goes back to that list of messages and shows it in there for a second until it's sent...I found the messages.  But I didn't see a heading on that message folder or anything... so looking through my phone again... I still cannot find the inbox where those messages are!  The only way I can find it is when I go to email a picture. Oh well I guess it's a screwy way of finding it but I guess I know how to if something shows up again!  :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
alt1800

I had this problem too.

There is what I have come to know as a 'catch all' message area called 'Messages' where, regardless of how you have email, SMS, or MMS messages seperated, appears to receive everything into it.  I (and I suspect you also) had it supressed from the main home screen so that the icon didn't show (since it just seemed like duplication to me).  From the home screen, hit your menu key and select show all.  This will allow the 'message' icon to appear and further allow you to access any mystery unread messages.  Once you've done this you hit your menu key again to unselect 'show all' to again supress any unwanted icons from the home screen.

You're 'sending pictures' solution that you stumbled upon sounded like a lucky way of getting to the same place, but ultimately allowed you and me to occomplish the same thing.  Just thought you'd be interested in the above information if there was a next time.

Please use plain text.
henriquesm

appened with me, but i found the solution!

open your sms box, open any sms and click menu, it will show the option next unread item or something like that! my menu is in portuguese but i think in english is that!

Please use plain text.
henriquesm

happened with me, but i found the solution!

open your sms box, open any sms and click menu, it will show the option next unread item or something like that! my menu is in portuguese but i think in english is that!

Please use plain text.
trinityc_0925
My Carrier: T-mobile

i actually tried that.. and it tells me that i have NO UNREAD MESSAGES but the icon is STILL there! help please! :smileymad:

~Trinity~
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

trinityc_0925 wrote:

i actually tried that.. and it tells me that i have NO UNREAD MESSAGES but the icon is STILL there! help please! :smileymad:

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Try this:

• Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Search

Set as follows (may vary depending on your device OS level):

• Search Type: Local

• Name In: Any Address Field

• Subject Message: <leave blank>

• Include Encrypted Messages: Yes

• Service: All Services

• Folder: All Folders

• Show: Unopened Only

• Type: All

That should return to you all unopened messages from all message conduits.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
duhduhdork
My Carrier: Starhub

hi, i tried that but it still doesnt work. there's still a message icon without a red asterisk on my home screen, although i've already mark all prior messages open. please help

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

duhduhdork wrote:

hi, i tried that but it still doesnt work. there's still a message icon without a red asterisk on my home screen, although i've already mark all prior messages open. please help

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

New instructions...

• KB21879How to search for unread messages on the BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.