Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
kiwibb
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

New Zealand DST error

We're seeing a problem where meetings created on the Blackberry are 1 hour out in Outlook Calendar.  This appears to be due to a faulty 2007 DST patch, but if so, others should be seeing the problem.  If you've seen this behaviour and have a solution, please help.

A bit of history:  In 2007, New Zealand changed the dates for the beginning and end of Daylight Saving time.  This year, DST ends on April 5.  Prior to 2007, DST would have ended on the third Sunday in March (yesterday).

Yesterday, 15 March 2009, calendar entries from the Blackberry worked fine.

Today, 16 March 2009 (and after pre-2007 DST end date), when people are entering calendar events from the Blackberry device, they events show as one hour later in Outlook Calendar.  The clock on the handhelds shows the correct time, with the timezone as GMT+12.

Problem example:

Use Blackberry to create new calendar appointment at 10am.  Reconcile.  Outlook Calendar picks up appointment and shows it as 11am.  Blackberry continues to reflect 10am.  Move appointment from Outlook to 9am.  Blackberry updates appointment to 9am.  Move appointment from Blackberry to 10am.  Outlook updates and reflects 11am.

A bit about our environment:

We're running Outlook 2007, Exchange 2003, BES 4.1.6.10, and have a variety of Blackberry devices in use (still verifying whether all are impacted by the problem).  All handhelds have the DST 2007 patch installed and verified (no versions older than 4.2.1.x).  All desktops, servers, etc. are NTP synchronized and are set to +12GMT (Auckland), with auto-DST checked. Blackberry devices are all set with "Blackberry" as time source and set to +12GMT (Auckland).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiwibb

Re: New Zealand DST error

CORRECTION:  Last known good date for Blackberry initiated calendar entries working correctly is Saturday, March 14, 2009.  Problems were definitely encountered on Sunday, March 15. (And this fits with the pre-2007 DST date change.)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hungtat

i'm having the same problem here in New York. I have Exchange 2003 SP1 and Outlook 2003 and 2007. Like you said, calendar entry created from Blackberry (version 4.1 with DST patch or 4.2) shows up an hour later in Outlook. Entry created in Outlook shows up correctly on Blackberry.

I spoke with RIM and in my case she suggested to apply Exchange 2003 service pack 2 because the cdo.dll version on my BES is behind compared to my Exchange. I asked if i could simply copy the cdo.dll from exchange over to BES and she said that might work. So I'm just planning to backup my server first, then try the copy/paste/unregister/register trick on the cdo.dll and hope for the best.

If this fails, I may end up installing service pack 2 but I would rather not as it's more invasive.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiwibb

Let me know if the SP2 installation helps.  I suspect it won't since we're seeing the problem and we're running SP2 with all current patches.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kiwibb

Another correction.  I should have checked before replying.  The cdo.dll on our BES is old and is not the SP2 version.  We will update and I'll report back to the forum on the results.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hungtat

so you have SP2 on your exchange?
Please use plain text.
TheEye

have you checked the CDO.dll between the two servers ?

Are they the same?

Also are you using Exchange 2003 or 2007

Please use plain text.
TheEye

Also what versions are

• BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software version 4.0 Service Pack 6 and later
  • BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2 Hotfix 2 and later
  • SDR134893
  • Please use plain text.
    New Contributor
    hungtat

I have Exchange 2003 with service pack 1 and BES 4.1.6. Again the version of cdo.dll on BES is older than the one on Exchange.

I believe the issue will correct itself as of April 5 as it was the original DST date?

Please use plain text.
    New Contributor
    kiwibb

You're correct that the error would correct itself on April 5... at least until next year!

In any case, your initial response turned out to be the key.  The problem was the cdo.dll file on the BES.  Once that was updated to match the post-SP2 version used in the Exchange environemnt, calendar functionality began working as intended.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.