Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
boycie
My Device: Not Specified

New to BB....need plenty of help.

Hi Everyone,  I am totally new to BB and not the most technically minded.

Right, I'll start from the begining, I need some help setting up my BB email account, I know there are plenty of other threads in here with the same problem but I would like to give you all the info I have got.

I was given a BB by my employer yesterday, I asked for one as I'm often out and about and can only read my work emails when I get back from work in the evening on my laptop.  It is a Pearl 8120 on Orange network.  We are only a small company with no IT department.  Anyway once we had sorted the sim cards and the phone activated I started the set up wizard.  When I got to the the email set up it asked if:

1)I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server

2) Skip email set up

So I was thrown straight away, I set to work on the manuals and in there it told me to click on "go to" in the phone menu then click on the icon "email settings".  This is all well and good but there was no "email settings" icon there.

I loaded the cd and installed the software.  Following the instuctions online it said I could setup using my pc, so I tried this, I entered in all my email info (gained from my outlook express settings) and all the phone info (pin and imei).  It then said the attempt had failed, I am sure all the info was correct.

Bearing in mind I know nothing about BB, I am certain (after all the research last night on the web) I need to set up a BIS account to use my work email, maybe wrong, but everything I read points that way.

I have been trying to set up at home, we use sky broadband as our internet provider and I did manage to connect to our wireless router via WI-FI on the phone, when I switch on it now automatically connects.  At work they use BT Internet.  As I said we are only a small company, we do have our own website with email addresses (setup with 123-reg I think) and its my work email I need to get to my BB.

What I don't understand is (please don't laugh), do I always need to be connected to a Wi-FI connection to download my emails while I am on the road?  Like I said I'm really out of my depth with this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, right now I feel like sending it back to where it came from, but I know if I can overcome these probs it will be well worth having.

Thank you in advance  

Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: New to BB....need plenty of help.

its totally worth having, no device is even close to BB for emails.

No, you can use the data on service providers cell network when you dint have wifi, so email will come in all thw time. To test if you are set up on wirless data, compose a pin message from messages icon to your pin and if you get it back, that means its all set.

Seems like you guys dont have blackberry enterprise server, what you wanna make sure with ur service provider is that ur device is provisioned for BIS data service.

were you able to crete a BIS account on ur service providers website? if yes were u able to add ur email address?

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
New Contributor
boycie

Hi BBs

Thanks for the reply.

I know we definately won't have BES.  Can you just explain more about the pin procedure, I kind of guess what you mean but not 100%, what does pin stand for?

I managed to register my email address etc today on my pc on the BB website, I think now I have to configure my BB to accept the emails, I tried sending an email from my hotmail account to my work email, it didn't appear on my BB but went to outlook express.

Many thanks

Forums Veteran I
BBsingh

PIN messaging is sending messages from one BB to another( only happens between BB's' similar to SMS), its a good way to check if data is working fine on the BB.

if you were able to set up ur work email on BB site, it should be all good.

can u send an email form ur work account on BB to hotmail?

also please verify a copy of message is left on mail server, you can use following link to verify this ( need to be done on outlook): http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB12283&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
New Contributor
boycie

Ok, although I'm still not sorted I am getting somewhere.  I tried the pin message but nothing happened, I never recieved a message back.  I just tried to compose an email using my BB and it said "no message services configured you will only beable to save as draft"  I assume I need to configure my BB or something, how is this done?

Cheers

Forums Veteran I
BBsingh

lets make this simple: click on the folowing link to create a BIS account if you dont have one

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB03087&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

this link will walk u through for how to set up ur email address with the BIS account created as per above link:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB02189&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

New Contributor
rockhopper
My Device: 8900 Curve (Javelin) O2 BIS

Hi,

I'm also a BlackBerry newbie, only had mine a few days ago. Got it from O2 over the phone as an upgrade.

I also experienced the same problem setting up email. No option to setup email other than BES. No email settings icon. I tried on the website and got a message which seemed to imply the phones PIN had previously been registered.

Called my supplier O2 UK, they told me the phone may have been previously sent out, registered and returned within their 14 days. They arranged to send me a swapout.

My partner who is more impatient than me got his upgrade from our local O2 store. His was exhibiting exactly the same symptoms as mine. O2 helpline says his has also been used and registered, take it back to the store and get a NEW handset.

O2 store says no, it needs a new 3G sim card, call O2 on 202 get a new one ordered.

Called O2, they say they'll order the sim cards for us both. (Still not here a week later)

They say the data bolt-on which is necessary to use email has not been added. They try to add it, then tell me my tariff (O2 100) which is old and now obsolete is not compatible to add a data bolt-on. Changed to the nearest tariff which is compatible (will not be active for 24hrs). Arranged to add the bolt-on (which can only be added once the new tariff is active, another 24hrs).

My exchange handset arrives and I leave it in the box until the tariff and data bolt-on should be active.

Inserted original sim (non-3G) and ran setup wizard. Et voila, it works.

Partner's is another story, still not set up on data when I called a couple of hours ago. For various reasons they kept fixing mine but not partner's. Maybe something to do with both phones being on one account, or maybe O2 just plain useless!

:smileymad: The solution seems to be to contact your supplier and check you are on the correct tariff and data option. Also check if your sim has data enabled. And if it doesn't work keep chasing them!

Hope this helps.

Good luck,

rockhopper

PS. If anyone from O2 is reading this I'd be interested to hear your comments.

--
rockhopper
New Contributor
boycie

Thanks for all the help so far guys, done everything thats been recommended at still no email, I now think, as rockhopper said, that the problem is with with Orange.  Going to ring them again today to see whats happening.

Will post the outcomes.