Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

james_fried
My Device: 8800 running v4.5.0.180 on O2 UK
My Carrier: O2 UK

No browser or maps on 8800 on O2 UK

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've been working on getting a second-hand blackberry for a few weeks now - getting there, but just one last problem and that is connecting to the internet, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

My blackberry is 8800 running v4.5.0.180 on O2 UK using their unlimited blackberry bolt on. This blackberry is second hand, previously it was on Vodafone UK on their BES service. I unlocked it and removed the IT policy (although I have not been able to confirm that I can install 3rd party applications as yet.) It is now running on O2.

The blackberry registered with the network (I've done the Options > Advanced > Host Routing Table > Register now). The 8800 is able to run my email 100% fine. SMS and phone calls are OK too.

The problem : Currenly the icon for the browser does not appear on menu. (I've tried showing all / etc). If I run the browser, by clicking a link in an email or by clicking bb > switch application > Browser then I get the following message :

"Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries.

Please contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device."

I've spoken to O2 support for a couple of hours today, they have sent me the service books for the browser and I can see in my service books like items "Browser Config for 5 Click", "Blackberry Internet Browsing Service" and "O2 UK WAP2 Browser Config". So I'm guessing that I have all the service books that I need. I've also done all the battery popping and full device wiping too but with no avail - have had the service books sent by the O2 help people before and after the device wipe too, but nothing has worked - the problem persists and I'm not able to reach any pages through the browser, the message just pops up when I open it and nothing happens.

If I go to Options > Advanced > Browser the screen just says "Default browser configuration:" - nothing more, there are no items in there... is that correct? Do I need to find a browser configuration file from somewhere?

There is another problem which could be related - if I run maps I get the following message :

"Your device is not configured for BIS or BES access. Consult your wireless service provider or system administrator."

Please could anyone suggest how I get the browser going? Or indeed any internet access - I don't have to use the blackberry browser if it's been broken by me unlocking the device.

Cheers,

James

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: No browser or maps on 8800 on O2 UK

1. You remove the IT Policy. Let's confirm that, by looking at Options > Security > General Settings. At the bottom of the screen at **services** do you show any policy name listed?

2. On your device, go to Options > Mobile Network. You should see Data Service - On, and your Mobile Network name listed.

Press the Menu key, Do you have a choice for Diagnotics Test? If you do, run that, and see what it states for BlackBerry Registration, Connected to BlackBerry, etc., and report that back here.

Thanks.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Visitor
conoreggy123
My Device: 8800

Hi , i have the same problem with my browser but the only difference is i am on orange...

I followed the steps you gave and on step three these were the results:

Blackberry Registration: No

Connected to Blackberry: No

Blackberry PIN-PIN: No

I would be very grateful if you could help me with this :smileyhappy:

Thanks, Conor

rahulrrao

@JSanders
I'm facing the same problem.
In Options > Security > General Settings, I see BBFS1 [GTALKEU1] (AES) and I do see my service provider's name and Data Service is on.
However, when I select Diagnostics Test, it says * Empty *

My service provider's tech support says that I should downgrade from v4.5 to v 4.1 and that v4.5 doesn't support browsing.
New Contributor
zumbruk

James, did you ever make any progress with this? I have an 8800 which is behaving *exactly* the same as yours. It's my old work one, which I reloaded and bought a Voda PAYG SIM for. I have registered for BIS and email works just fine, but no web browsing. I've spoken to Voda support, been into two Voda shops and spent days reading web sites, reinstalling and generally tinkering with it to no avail.

An iPhone is looking like an attractive option right now.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Did you do what I mentioned above, to no avail?
And by the way, there's a world of difference in an old 8800 BlackBerry and an iPhone.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code