Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
BoltsFan1973
My Device: Torch 9810

OS 7.1 for my 9810 with Rogers Wireless?

I am currently running OS 7.0 bundle 1328 on a Torch 9810, according to Rogers Wireless this is the most up-to-date BlackBerry OS offered on their network. I have run the update protocol from the Desktop software and it also tells me my device is up-to-date. I called Rogers and asked why I could not update to 7.1 for my BlackBerry and was told that RIM has not yet released it to them. So my question, to whoever might be able to answer it, is this correct, why hasn't RIM released 7.1 to Rogers(a Canadian company like RIM) and when will I be able to enjoy the latest update for my BlackBerry?

Please use plain text.
Developer
AutoAppForum
My Device: Playbook

Re: OS 7.1 for my 9810 with Rogers Wireless?

RIM has released OS 7.1. Bell and Telus have already released the sofware about 2-3 weeks ago. Rogers will probably release it shortly but they are not giving out any dates at this time.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.
If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BoltsFan1973

Thanks for the information. However now I have Rogers telling me to ask RIM when they will release 7.1 to them and now you are telling me RIM has already released it to them and the hold-up is with Rogers? You can see my confusion, right?!?!?

Please use plain text.
Developer
AutoAppForum
My Device: Playbook

To clarify:
The public doesn't know if the software was released to Rogers.
RIM released the software, but not necessarily to all carriers.
Rogers is probably still testing the software. (They are notorious for taking a long time for this, usually being one of the last to release software updates).
If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.
If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I can tell firsthand that Rogers DOES have OS 7.1 and is currently testing it. Them telling you to contact RIM is, uhh......"male cow excrement".

I hope that helps you. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
logan123
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9810

i am also waiting for 7.1 for my Torch and my wife's Bold 9900.  Rogers does have the OS.  Once RIM releases it, all carriers are welcome to start testing it.  RIM cant force a carrier to certify it.  Yet Apple doesnt have to get anything certified and there are always security issues with the iPhone.  Brutal.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
darylm
My Device: NONE

There is no reason to wait for Rogers to release it. You can download 7.1.0.342 and install it yourself. It makes no difference if you install software released to another service provider. After I upgraded to 7.1.0.267 from Bell, I upgraded to 7.1.0.284 from T-Mobile and then to 7.1.0.342 from Cellcom Wireless Israel.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

[ Edited ]

darylm wrote:

It makes no difference if you install software released to another service provider.

Be careful here because yes, it does matter.

If, for any reason, an OS that has not been released by your carrier is installed on your phone, you forfeit technical support and warranty work from your carrier.  They won't help you until you revert back to the latest OS version that they offer.  Most of the time it won't matter because we can solve most issues in these forums, but if you get into a situation that we can't resolve here and for whatever reason you can't get the former OS loaded back to your phone, you're on your own.

So download at your own risk.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
darylm
My Device: NONE

You can reinstall the original OS as easily as you can install any other OS.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BoltsFan1973

UPDATE,

So still can not get 7.1 through Rogers. Now they are telling me that it's my phone! Apparently BlackBerry OS 7.1 is not available for MY Torch 9810! I was told that 7.1 is available to Rogers customers and that my device was not compatible with the new OS. OK I have to call male cow excrement on that one! The BB site lists it as available for the Torch 9810 yet I am unable to update it normally through my phone or the desktop software.  Can anyone shed a little light on what the (insert expletive here) is going on.

Thanks for all the help.

Please use plain text.