Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
gbougebrael
My Device: Bold 9790
Accepted Solution

OS update from 7.0 to 7.1

[ Edited ]

I have a bold 9790 running an OS 7.0. when checking for updates through the OTA or the Desktop Manager I get a message that no updates are available.

I have downloaded directly the OS7.1 version related to my Network fromBlackberry website. I did the installation but nothing happened, I followed some recomendations found on different forums such as delete the Vendor.xml file and than run the loader application, again nothing happened.

Would appreciate any help to complete the update.

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: OS update from 7.0 to 7.1

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It may be that you are almost doing everything correctly...first, some background.

The ability of the automated processes (both on device as well as the Desktop Software/website) for updating depends on the on-device VendorID code that is placed into the hardware at time of manufacture (and can never be changed). This code matches only one carrier in the world, and without overriding the automated processes, only that carriers OS packages are offered to you. So if your BB happens to be already running what that carrier supports, the automated processes offer nothing to you.

But, you can use other carriers OS packages -- via PC and the VENDOR.XML deletion trick. But, what I suspect is that you have only deleted one VENDOR.XML file...on the later OS packages, there are two of them, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
gbougebrael
My Device: Bold 9790

Worked perfectly thanks
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
lifemate1
My Device: Z30

Hi dears. I use 9900 with 7.0.0.585. I tried so hard to update it to 7.1 I downloaded desktop software it can't see avaible update also I downloaded full exe pack 7.1, deleted vendor.xml, restarted my pc, and tried to install it on apploader. I did all windows on installation screen and a window opened that includes all of my programs but no software :s I also tried to update on webupdate and on wifi area but on my device doesn't exists "Software Updates" option in settings.I'm gettin so crazy in every day pls help me :s
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

lifemate1 wrote:
Hi dears. I use 9900 with 7.0.0.585. I tried so hard to update it to 7.1 I downloaded desktop software it can't see avaible update also I downloaded full exe pack 7.1, deleted vendor.xml, restarted my pc, and tried to install it on apploader. I did all windows on installation screen and a window opened that includes all of my programs but no software :s I also tried to update on webupdate and on wifi area but on my device doesn't exists "Software Updates" option in settings.I'm gettin so crazy in every day pls help me :s

Hello,

The result you describe is usually the result of one (or more) of these:

• You have no BB OS package installed to your PC
  • You have a BB OS package installed to your PC, but it is for a different model number BB
  • You have more than one BB OS package installed to your PC
  • You have a compatible BB OS package installed to your PC, but it is from a different carrier and you did not properly delete BOTH of the VENDOR.XML files

From your post, I see that you say you "downloaded full exe pack 7.1" to your PC, but you do not state that you actually installed it to your PC (which is required). Further, you say you "deleted vendor.xml"...singular...there are two of those to delete.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates