Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: O2

OS6 upgrade - help needed!

I have a BlackBerry Bold 9700 on O2 and would like to upgrade to OS6 but I cannot seem to do so. I received a text message regarding the update, I have followed the instructions and read the info on the BB website but to no avail, and it's driving me crazy!

I have a MacBook and I read that all I have to do to upgrade is plug my phone in and open Desktop Manager. I've done this but nothing happens. I've checked for updates and been told none are available. I've reinstalled Desktop Manager but again nothing happens.

Please can you offer me some pointers on how to sort this out before I go completely insane?!

Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS6 upgrade - help needed!

It should work. I'd say keep trying. It could be that O2 doesn't have the upgrade yet available via a Mac upgrade.

There's not a way to do this upgrade manually on a Mac, or I would give you those directons.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: 9700 bold
My Carrier: o2

Hi there,

Got the same phone with the same problem. The only difference is that I am using a PC.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hello,

I have a BlackBerry Curve 3G and had the same problem,

All I did is went directly to https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=7D2A383E54274888B4B73B97E1AAA491 and downloaded it Manually it really helped me.

Please try it and acknowledge it.

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi

Tried your lik. downloaded the program and installed on pc but still not upgrading my phone.

thanks anyway

Regular Contributor

Can I know what error your getting???

Hi there,

No messages or anything was given.

I followed the instructions exactly and after downloading I followed the next instrcution:

1. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Software and connect your BlackBerry to your PC. Your PC should detect that a new version of handheld code is available and prompt you to upgrade - select Update Now.

My pc did not detect that there was a new version. I even requested to update the device through desktop software but it still gave me the same message.(no updates are available).

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

In that case, your carrier does not support OS 6 as of now.

The whole thing started because I received a text from my carrier advising me to download os6

very weird. maybe I should call them.

thanks

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

On a pc, you can install ANY carriers OS release!
Follow these instructions EXACTLY as it says:
Manual device OS upgrade instructions:
1. First, download from this link: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=02A32AD2669E6FE298E607FE7CC0E1A0&dl=...

2. Do a FULL backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry.

3. Save the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."

5. use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup)
then after you get the error 507 (no OS installed)

6. remove internet connection to PC and reboot PC.

7. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file was in.

enjoy the new OS.