Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
gkinghorn
My Device: 8900
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

Outlook Web Access

Hoping someone can help here but I have a feeling I can't do what I am trying to do. :smileysad:

Bought my wife a new BB 8520 ...everything is great..she then asks if she can connect it to her work email (exchange). I think "yes" since she can use OWA from home. So worst case scenario I can just browse to the URL and access it that way. Of course that wont work since OWA wants a 'real' browser like IE to work.

I do some more reading and see that you can set up an Exchange Server through the normal 'setup' and go in looking. I can set up all sorts of mail systems (Yahoo etc) but there is no option to put the server address in for her work Exchange server. So I am pretty sure it cannot be done.

Question I have is

1) Is there ANY software out there to load on the BB to act like OWA?

2) In order to set up an exchange server from the Blackberry does the organisation need to have a BES setup and in place? Ie so ONLY Enterprise Activation would give me the 'exchange' option when setting up new mail?

does this make sense?

Personally I cannot see any way to what I want to do ( I have the OWA server address etc) ... any thoughts guys/girls?

Thanks in advance...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Outlook Web Access

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

If OWA can be reached cleanly from a PC on the open internet, then BIS should be configurable for it. Follow carefully these guidelines:

• KB03133 How to integrate a Microsoft Outlook Web Access email address with a BlackBerry Internet Service account

There are some instances where BIS cannot talk to OWA, but they are rare:

• KB18567 BlackBerry Internet Service cannot connect to a Microsoft Outlook Web Access account using Microsoft Exchange 2007
  • KB04804 Error message received when attempting to integrate a Microsoft Outlook Web Access 5.5 or 2007 account

Give the instructions a try and let us know exactly where it fails (if it does).

And the answer to your other question is that the enterprise would need to invest in BES and activate it for the entire enterprise. Then the BES admin would need to activate the BB on BES, at which point the "Enterprise Activation" component of the BB email config would function. Until then, that selection is moot.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gkinghorn

Hi and thanks for the speedy response....

I read that KB article before posting here... I think the issue is that on the Email setup screen on BIs inside setup on the bb it doesn't show Exchange as an option on other... all I can do is put an email address in and a password ... there is nowhere to add in the OWA server details....

According to that article I should be able to get to it since i can use OWA on the internet via browser cleanly...

driving me nuts...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

gkinghorn wrote:
I think the issue is that on the Email setup screen on BIs inside setup on the bb it doesn't show Exchange as an option on other.

While it's difficult to understand that sentence, I believe it is incorrect. BIS knows nothing about Exchange. BIS only knows about OWA.

gkinghorn wrote:

all I can do is put an email address in and a password ... there is nowhere to add in the OWA server details....

Try using an incorrect password and see if that takes you to the advanced integration screens.

gkinghorn wrote:

According to that article I should be able to get to it since i can use OWA on the internet via browser cleanly...

Correct -- unless your OWA setup falls into the two categories I noted in my earlier post.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gkinghorn

Once again thank-you...

My OWA doesn't fall into those 2 categories so we can discount that I beleive..

let me explain the earlier sentence...

On the BB

1. I go to the setup Wizard

2. I select mail setup

3. I select OTHER mail

4. I get presented with just 2 boxes - 1 for my email address and the other for my password.

5. after I key these in and select 'next' it goes away for a minute thinks about it and then tells me my account is set up....

so nowhere have i had to key in the OWA server details....

By keying in a 'wrong' password it does seem to bring up the other options....really odd behaviour i think but I am now away to play with that and wil advise.

Thanks again...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gkinghorn

Ok..all working....

Here's what i found ...

By just keying in the email address and password the bb must somehow 'interrogate' that address/server and extract what it needs because it works without keying any server details in at all... don't ask me how or why but it works...

No idea why it seemed not to initially..

Thank you so much though for your help in this...

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome! I am glad you got it sorted. Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jobelleza
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: globe telecom

Hi i hope u can help me. I have a 9800. I can access my yahoomail on the pc and have it set up on my too. However on the browser when im using data it says i enteted the wrong loging or pw.. But when im using wifi accessing yahoomail i am able to login. Its just the browser using data.
Please use plain text.