Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
jakemeistr
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Personal email

My device is through the company and is on a BES.  However, I have set up email accounts through hotmail, yahoo, etc., in order to keep up with my personal email.  My understanding is that these emails do not go through the BES.  Therefore, as I understand it, the only way those emails could be seen by the company is if they can actually get into my BB and read them on the device itself.  Is that accurate?  Any other concerns here?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Personal email

Your company could have an IT Policy in place to force all outgoing mail to route through your BES.  It is also entirely possible that there is a piece of software on the HH that is reporting data back to a database in your company ... that said I don't know of any that capture BIS integrated accounts like this, but it is entirely possible.

Pretty much, if your BB is on a BES, you should assume that everything is logged, tracked, and archived by your company.  By default, newer versions of BES log all phone calls, and can log all SMS / PIN with the flick of a switch.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jakemeistr

Thanks.  Not familiar with what HH stands for though.

So, the stuff on the BIS can be forced through the BES first?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

HH = HandHeld = BlackBerry Handheld

outgoing mail could be forced through it natively; yes.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

I disagree with AndyDufresne.

While there IS an IT Policy that can prohibit use of other email services (AllowOtherEmailServices {policy} = true), I find nothing in the standard Policy.INF file (used to create a Policy) that would reroute your personal email through the BES.

I think the confusion is in the description of this policy:

If false, no other email service books (other than the Enterprise edition one) are permitted on the handheld. Any other existing email service books are removed when the policy is installed; while the policy is in effect, other email service books will be rejected by the device. This forces all outbound email to be routed through the organization's BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

I believe the last sentence above is where the confusion arises.  Without a service book for the specific email address, the BlackBerry is unable to send using that email address.  It is interesting to note that while a BlackBerry restricted by this policy would not be able to SEND an email using anything other than the Enterprise email address, it could possibly still RECEIVE personal email since it's sent to the device's PIN - not a service book.  You can see this when you wipe a device and start receiving email before the service books have been pulled down - or by deleting the service book associated with a specific email address.

In fact, it would be somewhat of a security infraction - passing email across Domains like that.  I can't think of how it could be used, but it just seems like it would be considered a bad practice to me.  As far as I know and have ever heard, there is NO connection between your BIS email and your company's network whatsoever.  As you said, the only way they can see your personal email is to get their hands on your BlackBerry.

Hope that helps. 

Jerry
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

BES Policy Reference Guide - Page 157

Someone could easily receive mail on a BIS integrated account and reply not knowing their mail is going to get routed through the BES... I've certainly had the wrong message service selected more than once.

----------

Allow Other Message Services IT policy rule
Description
This rule specifies whether the BlackBerry® device can use other email message services.
Default setting
The default setting is True.
Usage
Set this IT policy rule to False to make it mandatory to send outgoing email messages through your organization's BlackBerry®
Enterprise Server and to prevent users from sending email messages using other email message services.
This IT policy rule does not prevent users from receiving email messages on their BlackBerry devices from other email message
services.
Minimum requirements
• Java® based BlackBerry device that is running BlackBerry® Device Software Version 3.6
• C++ based BlackBerry device that is running BlackBerry Device Software Version 2.5
• BlackBerry Enterprise Server Version 3.5

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jakemeistr

Thanks for the additional responses. 

To summarize, it would appear that:

1) A company's IT policy can be set to route everything out through the BES.

2) A user could inadvertently select the wrong mailbox when sending a message out (i.e Desktop vs. Yahoo, etc.).  This would cause email to be logged.

3) No incoming email from the BIS can be captured a company's system.

Sound right?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

jakemeistr wrote:

Thanks for the additional responses. 

To summarize, it would appear that:

1) A company's IT policy can be set to route everything out through the BES.

>> Correct

2) A user could inadvertently select the wrong mailbox when sending a message out (i.e Desktop vs. Yahoo, etc.).  This would cause email to be logged.

>> Correct

3) No incoming email from the BIS can be captured a company's system.

>> Not natively; however program could be installed on your device to do such a thing.  While I don't know anyone that does this, nor have I never heard of it happening, it is still a real possibility. I just want to make sure you understand that while a device is on a BES, in theory, there is no piece of information that the administrators couldn't retrieve.

Answers above in BOLD

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
abrennan35

This thread is a little confusing to me but it's about as close as I have come to finding an answer to my issue.  My BB is on BES through my employer.  I purchased the HH device and pay for the phone personally.  The HH has never physically been with my IT team or BB administrator.  I work in the field and have never even met my IT team personally.  The BES software was loaded remotely and certain URL's are now blocked (ex Facebook, Twitter and anything else that may distract us from our work--actually a blessing in disguise).  Recently, I've had exchanged some text messages of a rather personal nature and my device has been automatically rebooting.  Not sure if this a coincidence or if I should be concerned that my IT team is accessing my personal SMS/MMS's.  I contacted my wireless carrier who said that it may be a software issue but that it does not appear to be a hardware issue.  I understand that my company can access all of my work emails and control certain aspects of the device (like blocking access to certain URL's) but can they also read my text messages?  When we are on work owned devices, we're told to have no expectation of privacy, but this device is owned by me. 
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

abrennan35 wrote:
This thread is a little confusing to me but it's about as close as I have come to finding an answer to my issue.  My BB is on BES through my employer.  I purchased the HH device and pay for the phone personally.  The HH has never physically been with my IT team or BB administrator.  I work in the field and have never even met my IT team personally.  The BES software was loaded remotely and certain URL's are now blocked (ex Facebook, Twitter and anything else that may distract us from our work--actually a blessing in disguise).  Recently, I've had exchanged some text messages of a rather personal nature and my device has been automatically rebooting.  Not sure if this a coincidence or if I should be concerned that my IT team is accessing my personal SMS/MMS's.  I contacted my wireless carrier who said that it may be a software issue but that it does not appear to be a hardware issue.  I understand that my company can access all of my work emails and control certain aspects of the device (like blocking access to certain URL's) but can they also read my text messages?  When we are on work owned devices, we're told to have no expectation of privacy, but this device is owned by me. 

Hi there,

Quite simply, regardless of who "owns" the BB, once it is activated on BES, an IT Policy is placed on the device which can do pretty much anything. Everything you have stated (short of the reboots -- that's a separate issue IMO) can indeed be routed through the company. They can force all SMS to go through them and be logged. Then can prevent you from accessing certain websites -- indeed, they can force your entire web browsing to come through the company (and be logged). They can prevent you from accessing certain commands on the BB. From a functional standpoint, the BB is "owned" by BES...and BES is in control.

As for the rebooting...if you are noticing a specific repeatable pattern as to when it  happens, then there might be something to diagnose with that chain of events. Otherwise, it could be one of many things -- incompatible 3rd party software, a bad installation of something, a known bug that a device OS update fixes, etc.

I advise that you decide how to proceed with BES first...then we can look at the rest.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.