Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Possible Blackberry Internet Game Application

Hello: I've written a small internet application that runs on an ASUS EEE netbook .  It runs under WinXP using XAMPP locally and a remote server to play a GPS Geocaching game.  The netbook application attachs location data which it reads from a USB GPS and returns it to the server along with any form field data that needs to be sent to the server for updating. It also uses a USB wireless modem connection via Verizon to communicate although a wi-fi works just as well in an urban setting. The whole business is written in PHP and HTTP with MySQL on the server.  A more detailed explanation can be read at http://gpsmancer.com.  Some of my buddies own blackberrys and want to play along.  They use a handheld GPS to read the data and play the game. 

The Blackberry question: Would it be possible to attach GPS location data to a local browser which then return form data along with location data to the server?  The Netbook application does this just fine.  If it is possible to do this, I would program it or I would gladly give anyone the specifications if there is interest.   I would much rather develop games than write blackberry programs. One of my buddies is looking into an IPhone app  From my vantage the programing was not difficult(other than getting the browser to execute a local .exe  command) as I'm quite familiar with PHP/HTML stuff but I don't have a clue when it comes to the Blackberry.

Regards Tom Birchmire