Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problems updating OS from 4.2 to 4.5 on 8310

I'm hoping someone can help me out, and explain where I am going wrong.

My 8310 is currently using app version 4.2.2.181 and has a vendor id of 179.

I have tried downloading many different versions of 4.5 but have been unsuccessful when trying to install them. The app loader normally errors when uploading the modules. The screen displays: A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again.

I have used the javaloader to wipe the device and run through the processess again. I have also tried removing the battery, running the app loader under Vista and XP, and many different versions of 4.5. I have also tried with and without the vendor.xml file. The end result is the device is struck showing error 507 (no OS installed). I have been able to reload version 4.2 after many attempts, but am reluctant to try the update to 4.5 again as it has eaten hours of my time already. The version of 4.2 which has successfully installed is: 8310M_PBr4.2.2_rel332_PL2.5.0.35_A4.2.2.181_Carphone_Warehouse_UK

The carphone warehouse has not yet release a version of 4.5, is this my problem? Is attempting to load any other version of 4.5 in vain and I will never experience any success?

I have the log files from my many failed attempts if they will help someone explain where I am going wrong. Any advise would be appreciated.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Problems updating OS from 4.2 to 4.5 on 8310

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I would return the device for a new one, not refurbished.

I can't tell you what is wrong, but I would suspect a hardware error.

I don't know about the Car Warehouse, but 4.5 has been released carrier wide.

You have gone through all the correct steps to upgrade, and then some.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Message Edited by Bifocals on 06-09-2009 06:33 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Hi Bifocals,

Thanks for your post. Yes, I've definatley followed the correct step and then some. I have read a fair few forum posts on this site and some others. I've even watched an end to end demo on youtube.

The device is almost 12 months old. Do you know if it is possible to contact RIM direclty?

I'm guessing from what you have said about 4.5 being released carrier wide, that I should have been able to successfully update to a version of 4.5 released by a different carrier?

Many thanks

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I don't know if something is wrong with the device or the Car Warehouse software.

At this point you might try downloading 8310 4.5 from a different vendor and see

if you can get it to work. Don't forget to delete the vendor.xml file.

I have attached AT&T's link.

Thanks,

Bifocals

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do;jsessionid=nDWeyXAwmFvp94dp+W+d3A**

Software For BlackBerry® Curve (TM) 8310 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.152 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.152
Consisting of:
  • Applications: 4.5.0.110
  • Software Platform: 2.7.0.90
  • File name: 8310M_PBr4.5.0_rel152_PL2.7.0.90_A4.5.0.110_AT&T.exe
  • File size: 89.91MB
Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.
Message Edited by Bifocals on 06-10-2009 03:26 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

I'm having the same problem with my Sprint 8130. Followed all the instructions but get that same error message during application backup. What to do?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

MartyB wrote:

I'm having the same problem with my Sprint 8130. Followed all the instructions but get that same error message during application backup. What to do?

hello, from what I can read, your issue is not about upgrading your OS, but about creating a backup file.
I advise you to read the "desktop software" board, you may find a solution for your backup issue. If there is not, you can of course create a new discussion about the backup error, giving as much details as possible (especially what databases cause the error, as well as the exact error text).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: