Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
leo-iii
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Re: How To Reload Your Operating System

Hi folks.  I failed my password entry and the device was wiped.

How can I get hold of the o/s to reinstall?

The two methods given in this thread did not work for my situation.  The new loader said that i was up to date, but then went on to say that the older Blackberries are not supported.  I have a 7200 series.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

leo-iii wrote:

Hi folks.  I failed my password entry and the device was wiped.

How can I get hold of the o/s to reinstall?

The two methods given in this thread did not work for my situation.  The new loader said that i was up to date, but then went on to say that the older Blackberries are not supported.  I have a 7200 series.

Thanks.

Hi there and Welcome!

Wiping the device after password failure does not wipe out the OS on the device...it should still be usable, it just won't have any of your personal information on it anymore, and you will have to start as if you just received it new. See this KB:

KB16307 Actions that the BlackBerry device performs during BlackBerry device wipe processes

Or is there some other reason you need to reload the OS?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leo-iii

Thanks for your prompt response.  The reason that I thought the o/s was wiped is that the only response I can get from the unit is a display of an icon that looks like a window with a circle around it and a slash across the picture.  Below that is a code 507.

How can I get beyond this display to the o/s?

I am obliged for your help.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

Ah! Different Problem! See this KB (cause 2):

KB02792 A 507 error message appears on the BlackBerry smartphone while upgrading BlackBerry Device Software

BTW -- shortly you will see our discussion separated out to a thread of it's own...it's not technically on topic with the sticky.

Cheers!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 08-11-2009 03:10 PM

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leo-iii

Thank you once again.  KB02792 suggests possible causes and resolutions.  The one that fits me is the 10 strikes  cause.  That suggests that I use the desktop manager to load the o/s, but the software can't find any o/s on my laptop or my Blackberry.  I chose to browse and went to the folder under program files, but no luck.

The other suggestion had to do with downloading the software pacakage for desktop and device, but deadended too.

Finally, there was a suggestion to visit RIM and click on the download update button, but that says it doesn't work with 7000 series and older.

Am I at the point where I sigh loudly and consign this device to the rubbish bin?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

So, your carrier has no device OS file for you? They should, I'd think...find their DL site here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

You also might try contacting your carrier to see if they can provide you with one. The device OS is controlled by the carrier...RIM releases to the carriers, they certify (or not) and release (or not) to their customers. The site listed above is the portal to the carriers DL sites.

In case it wasn't clear (apologies if this is redundant), what the device OS DL does is install onto your PC, basically atop the RIM desktop software, the files and things that pertain to your device from your carrier (which might be different than your device from another carrier). Then, when you tether, you can get updates that pertain specifically to you rather than to a generic 7000 series BB from any carrier. With it installed to your PC (atop the RIM DTM software), it is then available for the process discussed in the KB to reload your OS.

So see if any of that is helpful...it will be quite sad if a workhorse such as your 7000 indeed has to be consigned to the bin. Sad indeed...though it's had a good run, has it not?

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leo-iii

Stan, Steve, Sally, .... , Someone,

Thanks a ton.

I bought the unit from CompUSA.  It is not associated with any cellular provider, but it is unlocked and I wanted it for travel, so that I could carry my PDA info with me and add in a SIM card from whichever country I was visiting, thereby carrying just one device.  For that reason I had not tried downloading from any specific carrier, as I didn't really have one. 

Anyway, thanks to your prompting I tried a download and it worked, so I have just finished installing the o/s and synchronisng the unit and I'm thrilled!

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hooray! Excellent! I'm glad you have found the answers. You are most welcome!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.