Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
zemaia
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Registering with BIS from my Service Provider

Hi,

I have just bought a brand new unlocked 8900 Curve and it is working fine (the seal of the box was cut in front of me).  I just dont seem to be able to register the phone with the BIS relating to my service provider.

My provider is Optimus in Portugal (http://optimus.blackberry.com/).  When i type in the PIN and IMEI it gives an error message saying: "This BlackBerry is registered with a different service provider.  Please re-register this BlackBerry and verify the URL matches the one provided by your service provider."

I noticed that inside the box where the phone came in, there was a sticker with a link to what I assume is the BIS link address for the service provider that this phone probably belonged to: KPN - www.kpn.blackberry.com

I also tried to register the phone at this link but it gives the same message......

Can you please let me know what is wrong?

By the way, I still dont have a data plan activated with my Service Provider, Optimus......I have ordered it but its still not up and running.

Do i need this first before i can register my phone at the Optimus BIS?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,904
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Registering with BIS from my Service Provider

Until your BIS plan, your BlackBerry Data Plan, is in service, you will not be able to register the device on your carrier network except for voice and text messaging.

KPN is a Netherlands mobile service provider.

Where did you buy the device, not from your Portuguese carrier? How do you know it is unlocked?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zemaia

Thanks for clarification.

Bought it from an electronics store in an airport terminal in Germany.

I tested it with my Portuguese SIM card before buying it and I am using the phone right now.....can receive and make calls and receive and send SMS.....

So once the BIS plan is activated, will I be able to register my phone on the BIS from my portuguese carrier?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,904
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Hopefully so... IF it is truly unlocked.

Compare your device with the images here:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_determine_if_my_BlackBerry_is_%22unlocked%22%3F

So, is your unlocked?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zemaia

Checked it and it is really unlocked: all fields say "disabled".....so thats good!

I will now wait for my BIS plan to be activated and try to register my phone on my carrier´s BIS site.

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zemaia

Just to confirm that once my BIS plan was activated, my provider sent the service books to my BB automatically which allowed me to then register my phone on the BIS website and add all of my email accounts.

All is working well!  Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.