Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

heavyliftn
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Remove IT Policy from personal phone

I really ned some help.  I have no problem with egtting the it policy off my phone.  The problem I have is as soon as I open the desktop manager it automatically reloads the it policy.  I have found a few threads and post telling me to go into the registry and in the policy manager folder put a new path with policy.bin in it and also on the automatically did everything for me and neither has worked.  For some reason the it policy is reloaded onto my device and I need it to stop and running out of options.  CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH GETTING THE IT POLICY OFF MY PC OR GETTING IT TO STOP AUTO LOADING ON MY DEVICE.  ANY HELP ON THIS IS GREATLY, GREATLY APPRECIATED.  Thank you for any help.
b1ackburryguy

im having a problem running the command

everytime i enter the first command it tells me the path cannot be specified

if you have any suggestions let me know

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

b1ackburryguy wrote:

im having a problem running the command

everytime i enter the first command it tells me the path cannot be specified

if you have any suggestions let me know

Hi and welcome to the forums!

If you are running Vista you will need full administrator rights.

They are not given unless you specify an account as the admin.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
bugsbunny

Hi. I have an 8830 World Edition and am not techie savvy at all and new to this forum. I was given my blackberry when I left my company but they did not remove the IT Policy or put a blank policy. I am upgrading my BB (to Bold 9700 likely) and don't want to transfer IT policy to that new BB. How can I reset to factory and restore without getting the IT Policy restored? Do I not save a certain file when I back up or do I not restore a certain file after I follow your directions? Can you please walk me through this part so I get it right. thanks very much.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

bugsbunny wrote:

Hi. I have an 8830 World Edition and am not techie savvy at all and new to this forum. I was given my blackberry when I left my company but they did not remove the IT Policy or put a blank policy. I am upgrading my BB (to Bold 9700 likely) and don't want to transfer IT policy to that new BB. How can I reset to factory and restore without getting the IT Policy restored? Do I not save a certain file when I back up or do I not restore a certain file after I follow your directions? Can you please walk me through this part so I get it right. thanks very much.

Hi and Welcome to the forums!

The simplest way is to:

1) Backup your entire old device:

• KB12487 How to backup data on a BlackBerry smartphone

2) Wipe out your entire old device:

3) Selectively restore your old device:

• KB10339 How to restore data from a backup file to a BlackBerry smartphone
  • Only restore specific databases that you need -- e.g., Contacts, Calendar...don't do a full restore or it will obediently restore the IT Policy as well.

4) Use the device switch wizard to switch to your new BB:

• KB16291 How to use the Device Switch Wizard to switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone

I do not know if you can skip just to step 4 and avoid replacing your IT Policy onto the new device. But I do know that if you follow this method your new device will have the data you want and will not have the IT Policy.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
bugsbunny

It is the #3 part of the instructions I am not sure of. What file is the IT Policy in so that I don't either back that file up or don't restore that file. I know you need to pick and choose what to back up but not being so techie, I don't know what those file names all mean. I want to save calendar, contacts, memos, tasks, saved emails, saved messages  and I want to save other settings too. I just don't want to either save or to restore the IT policy stuff. Help please . thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I've personally never had to execute the process, so I am not positive how to precisely guide you. I would suggest restoring the mimimum...contact, calendar, memos, tasks, and message databases. Given your situation, I think you should be cautious and restore only those minimum things...then go through the process of reconfiguring any settings and such that you need.

To help you perhaps some more, here is a KB that documents the various databases on the BB...one of them contains the IT Policy...that would be one you definitely don't want to restore to the BB...

• KB03974 Databases on the BlackBerry smartphone

You should be prepared for some trial and error I'd think...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
bugsbunny

Thank you very much Crackberry and sdgardne for your helpful advice. It worked. Don't know how to do 'kudos' but do know how to say thanks.

Taylarie
My Device: Torch 9800

Bugs Bunny, to give kudos, look on the left side of each post, there is a number with a star next to it, click on the star for kudos.

~Taylarie~
KSchnarr

Ya, I followed your directions to "wipe" my BB so I could upload my data and all my smartphone is doing is turning the timer ever since it was "wiped"... Not too impressed. The initial issue was that my address book would not transfer so I erased the "IT Policy" on my BB and now I'm really stuck... How to get it back?

ps I have backed up through use of Desktop Manager...