Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
tforehand
My Device: blackBerry Curve 8310

Re: Remove IT Policy from personal phone

I followed your procedure to remove the IT policy from my blackberry but after entering the command "resettofactory" the command prompt replied "Enter Password".  I don't have a password other than the one I have to enter to open my blackberry.  Please advise what I can do now.

Thanks

Terrill Forehand

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

tforehand wrote:

I followed your procedure to remove the IT policy from my blackberry but after entering the command "resettofactory" the command prompt replied "Enter Password".  I don't have a password other than the one I have to enter to open my blackberry.  Please advise what I can do now.

Thanks

Terrill Forehand

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

There are several different things linked in this long thread...can you specify exactly what procedure you followed?

Thanks!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
tforehand

I followed your procedure but when I entered "loader.exe /resettofactory" the apploader requested I enter my password.  I don't have a password.  I tried "BlackBerry" and the password I use to enter the device but no luck.  Apparently they want the password that the programer used to install the IT policy.  Please advise

Thanks

tforehand

New Contributor
tforehand

I followed the procedure (post 21) by Crackberry as follows. "open a command prompt on your pc by going to Start->Run, type in cmd and press enter. Go to cd\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. In apploader, type in (without quotes) "loader.exe /resettofactory".  The device is supposed to wipe itself and restart but instead the apploader requests I enter my Password.  I don't have a password.  I tried "BlackBerry" and the password I was required to create to enter the device but no luck.  I can only guess that this is a password the original programmer inserted when the IT policy was put on my BlackBerry.  p.s. I have a BlackBerry Curve model 8310.

Thanks

tforehand

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay -- holidays and all...

Yours is the first time I've ever heard of that procedure requiring the entry of any password. I've never had to execute the procedure myself, but have recommended it to many who have successfully used it. All I can therefore guess at is that there is indeed something very special about your specific device (likely contained in the IT Policy) that is preventing this procedure from working. Very strange indeed.

Consequently, what I have to then recommend is going back to the person who provided you this BB and having them remove whatever this restriction is since you quite simply cannot proceed with it in place.

One further thought -- do you ever lock your BB and have to enter a password to unlock it? If so, then the password that loader is requesting should be that same password (indeed, I can't think of any other password that it would be). And sometimes what we type on a BB keyboard for a password is not quite what we think it is - alt, shift, ctrl or some other key modifier might be in place yet we don't know it to be the case since we only see **** when we type that password. If so, then I suggest you carefully review the password you type to unlock your BB...and then use that when loader requests it.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Visitor
Ralphnader
My Device: 8330

[ Edited ]

This solution rocks. It worked in first time. I am using BlackBerry 8330 from Verizon with BB Software ver 4.5. The only trick to this solution is to make sure you first close "BlackBerry Desktop Manager" if it is running in the background the cmd line solution will not work. Once you close the Desktop Manager it worked like a charm and I have removed the corporate IT policy from my BB for good.

Thank you CrackBerry !!

Here"s the solution:smileysad:Solution was Posted by CrackBerry, U rock man!!)

There is a method you can use to remove the IT policy using the official RIM loader.exe application. This is a much cleaner method & leaves NO trace of ANY IT POLICY.

You need to ensure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed & also have the latest device software installed for your device.

Desktop software and device software are available here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

You will need to select your carrier from the list in your region.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS METHOD WILL WIPE YOUR DEVICE TO A FACTORY STATE, REMOVING ALL PERSONAL DATA & REMOVE THE IT POLICY.

If there is anything important on your device, please back up using the "ADVANCED" function on Backup/Restore in desktop manager.

I suggest you backup only what you need, ie SMS, Contacts etc. Please note that you can actually backup the IT policy, so if you do this, when you restore the backup to your device, the IT policy you had just removed will be restored on the device (FAIL!)

If you are unsure how to backup your device via the advanced method, please PM me and I can walk you through. 

Please ensure that your device is plugged into your PC via USB if you chose to skip the backup, if you hadnty plugged it in already.

After you have done the backup, you will need to open a command prompt on your PC, by going to Start -> Run, typing in cmd and pressing enter.

In the command prompt, you will need to locate the Apploader folder, provided you have a C drive, it will be located at:

C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

(the command you would use is cd \program files\common files\research in motion\apploader)

You will then type in (without the quotes) "loader.exe /resettofactory"

The device will then proceed to wipe itself and then restart.

All that is left after your device has started back up is to restore your personal data :smileyhappy:

Visitor
ktm300
My Device: Storm 9530

This worked the first try!! I couldn't believe it when I turned my phone back on and it had mms as an option!

If any one needs help with this, feel free to ask. It took about 20-30 mins and somehow I still had a few applications and my email address was saved. Everything else was gone, but a quick restore brought it a ll back.

Thanks again

Verizon Storm 9530

File Free 40725440

Recent factory wipe in store by verizon 3/4/10
vichuv2
My Device: 8900

Hi,

I have backed up all data from Blackberry 8900 using Desktop Manager and used loader.exe to remove IT policy.

After that, I connected my BB to Desktop manager to restore only contacts but as soon it connected to Desktop manager again the IT policy gets add into my BB. I have cancelled auto backup/restore option also. but still IT policy gets added into BB.

Can you please suggest me in resolving this issue? is there anything that I need stop to do in Desktop manager to avoid IT policy installation?

Due to this, I am unable to use Desktop Manager for my BB

Thanks in advance

New Contributor
sokoski10
My Device: Curvey 8330

I have an 8330 and windows 7...the command prompt does not work.....any suggestionis?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

sokoski10 wrote:

I have an 8330 and windows 7...the command prompt does not work.....any suggestionis?

Hello,

"does not work"...hmmm...I can't tell what exactly you mean by that. The way to get to the command prompt is the same as it's been for a long time:

• Start > Run > CMD

If you can say more about what "does not work" means, perhaps we can help more.

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates