Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
bananapeels
My Device: Not Specified

Removing corporate email account- adding gmail

I have a email account through my old employer configured to connect via a BES.

I set up a new personal email account on my curve for my gmail account, but can't send or receive email through my gmail on my curve.

How do delete/remove the coporate email account and use the gmail account?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Removing corporate email account- adding gmail

[ Edited ]

First, you need to contact a Carrier and get a BlackBerry data plan.  You can't do any email without it.

Once you get a data plan, you set up your personal email using either the "Personal Email Setup" icon on your BlackBerry ( may also be named simply "Email Setup" ), or by going to the Carrier's BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) web site.  Your carrier should supply you with that info, but all the North American BIS sites are also at the bottom of this page:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/internet.jsp

As for your Corporate email account, presumeably they removed your account from their BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server), so you should no longer be able to send or receive email through that account, and your other PIM data won't be synching through that either.  On your BlackBerry go to Options --> Advanced Options --> Service Books.  Scroll through the list, and highlight every line that sarts with Desktop[, then hit the [Menu] button or Click the Scroll Wheel and select Delete.  Finally, go into each of the PIM applications (Address Book, Calendar, Memo Pad, and Tasks), hit the [Menu] button or Click the Scroll Wheel and select Options.  Scroll through the options and make sure the line Wireless Synchronization is set to No.

Message Edited by JerryD on 11-06-2008 02:46 PM
Jerry
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

... and you might want to remove the IT Policy
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Actually, unless there's something your IT Policy enforced that's really restricting you, you are much better off NOT removing it.  Remember, the procedure requires wiping the device of all data!

If you had a policy that required a password, I would strongly recommend leaving it alone.  Remember, you're not just protecting your information, but the information of everyone you have information about on the device (i.e. your Contacts - many of whom I'd assume are your FRIENDS!).

Also, as I've posted many times including here - with no useful responses - the policy.bin file at the site noted (and all other policy.bin files I've ever found) does NOT completely remove ALL IT Policy settings.  The Firewall not only remains locked Enabled, but it will actually set it to Enabled.

The only reason to clear IT Policy is if it were preventing you from doing something you want to be able to do like take pictures or receive Text messages - something severe like that.

Jerry
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bananapeels

Thanks for all the info.  My curve is still being paid on my corp account.  I stopped getting email from my old company, so they turned that off on the server. 

But I want to get my gmail on my curve just by using the messages icon.  I followed the steps bleow on Google's site, but I still can't send/receive email for my gmail account.  Could my corporate account be interferring with that?

Thanks

To configure IMAP access for your BlackBerry, just follow these steps:

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
  2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
  3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
  4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
  5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
  6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [username@gmail.com].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
  7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
  8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
  9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [username@gmail.com] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
  10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
  11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
  12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
  13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
  14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
  15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
  16. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:

1. Open the mailbox icon.
  2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
  3. Select Email Reconciliation.
  4. Confirm the following settings:
    • Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    • Wireless Reconcile: On
    • On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
  5. Select Save.
  6. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bananapeels

I got it to work by setting up an account with Blackberry at http://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=mycingular

Please use plain text.
pietime
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

Hi - These are the same instructions I keep finding everywhere in my search, but the problem is I am not able to leave the password field blank on my blackberry when setting up a personal email account.

I'm using a Curve 8530 with OS 5.0

If I try to click next without a password, it gives me an error and won't let me continue without putting one in. So, I never get to enter any server details or anything beyond that.

Any help?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

pietime wrote:

Hi - These are the same instructions I keep finding everywhere in my search, but the problem is I am not able to leave the password field blank on my blackberry when setting up a personal email account.

I'm using a Curve 8530 with OS 5.0

If I try to click next without a password, it gives me an error and won't let me continue without putting one in. So, I never get to enter any server details or anything beyond that.

Any help?

Thank you

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Let me get this right...you are attempting to configure, inside of BIS (either Setup > Email Settings or, from a PC, the web interface to your carriers BIS), your personal email. And, on that screen, you are attempting to leave the password for your email account blank? What that would mean is that you have an email account that has no password...and that would be pretty rare indeed. Can you explain further why you are leaving the password off?

Thanks.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.