Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
BBPearl3G-
My Device: RIM BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100

Setting BlackBerry OS 6 to use HotSpot browser

I have a Pearl 3G running the OS 6 pre release copy 6.00424.

My device always switches to 3G when I use the browser, which costs me money! Before with OS 6.00344 I was able to use only WiFi with the internet browser, and when I was out of WiFi  range, the device would say "Browsing over the cellular network is not part of your service plan ..." After upgrading to 424 I have been charged about 5 dollars in data use for using the internet function. I have unltd BBM etc but not data for internet. How can I reset this function to use the HotSpot browser, like before, to prevent getting charges?

I already tried to go into the 'Options' from the browser menu, and there is no option to change to Hot Spot browser. I know on BB OS 5 there was an option to switch them from WAP, BIS, etc and WiFi.

Thanks in advance guys, hope you can help, feel free to ask more questions to me should it help you in giving me an answer :smileyhappy:

JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Setting BlackBerry OS 6 to use HotSpot browser

Look at your Device > Options > Advanced Options > Browser, and set that to Hotspot, and SAVE.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
BBPearl3G-
My Device: RIM BlackBerry Pearl 3G 9100

I am afraid that's not possible... Those options were available In bb 5, I am running bb 6. The closest thing to what you said available on bb 6 was device> advanced system settings> browser push.

Am I missing something?
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Ah, and you're using a leaked .424 of the software?

Sorry, we can't help on leaked OS software here.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
skybb
My Device: 9300

[ Edited ]

I'm using official .380 having similar problem

is this issue resolved?

for my case is a bit different.

I need to set browser to use 3G data instead of BIS.

I have set apn to my operator apn configuration, its work with opera, but Blackberry Browser always put error saying my BIS plan is not supporting this.

In OS 5 I still can use the browser, although my BIS is not supporting internet browsing but I can use my 3G data subscription to browse.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

The browser in OS6 is "auto-select."  You cannot force it to a certain browser.  If it doesn't "just work" there is no fixing it.  RIM decided to control it themselves.  It can definitely be frustrating at times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Visitor
Edward2
My Device: Bold 9650

Quote:  

The browser in OS6 is "auto-select."  You cannot force it to a certain browser.  If it doesn't "just work" there is no fixing it.  RIM decided to control it themselves.  It can definitely be frustrating at times.

That definitely sucks.  I have no cell reception at my friend's house, and I wanted to get on the internet via his wireless router.  I can connect to his router, but I cannot access the internet.  I keep getting the following message "Unable to find the requested server".  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

John_Clark wrote:

The browser in OS6 is "auto-select."  You cannot force it to a certain browser.

more information can be found in this article from the public knowledge base:

KB23699 Simplified browser selection in BlackBerry 6

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
lostvampire
My Device: Not Specified

I had the same problem in OS 6 on Sprint 9650 and this is how I fixed it. Goto Settings>Device>Advanced Systems Settings>TCPIP and uncheck the APN and everything in there. Please note down the original settings in case you need to revert.
New Contributor
lostvampire
My Device: Not Specified

And save your settings after making these changes.