Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
rstaaf
My Device: Not Specified

Sprint 8830 OS Update

The download site for Sprint seems to list two different versions for the 8830:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.322 (Multilanguage)
BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.240 (Multilanguage) - Currently Installed

I just purchased my phone a bit more than a week ago and it is running v4.2.2.240.  Can I upgrade it to v4.2.2.322?  Is that an upgrade?

[quote] Software For BlackBerry 8830 Wireless Handheld(TM)

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.322 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.322
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.176
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.76
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel322_PL3.0.0.76_A4.2.2.176_Sprint.exe
    * File size: 70.18MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

* Download Software

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.240 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.240
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.123
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.64
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel240_PL3.0.0.64_A4.2.2.123_Sprint.exe
    * File size: 37.0 MB

* Download Software
[/quote]

What is curious to me is that the new version appears to be twice the size of the previous version.  Is there a way I can see the release notes?  Has anyone done the update?  What can I expect.

Can I use the existing Desktop Manager (4.2.2.12) that came with my phone for this OS update or should I upgrade the Desktop Manager to 4.3?  Any advice you all can give me would be greatly appreciated. 

Sorry for the newbie questions, just don't want to screw up the phone :smileyhappy: 

Thanks

Bob 

Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Sprint 8830 OS Update

Yes, that is an upgrade. I recommend installing it if you are having any issues with the phone. If everything is working fine for you, then I say you are fine.

RIM rarely seems to release any release notes for the updates. And yes, you can use the Desktop Manager v4.2.2 to install this update.

New Contributor
rstaaf

The main reason for the hesitation is that the phone is working fine, I am not having any issues at all with it.  On the other hand, the size difference in the new version (almost twice the size of the previous version) suggests the possibility that there are more than just bug fixes in the new version.  Maybe new or enhanced features??? 

I am torn between my firm belief in not fixing something that isn't broken and my curious nature to tinker :smileyhappy: 

Trusted Contributor
payroll
My Device: Blackberry Bold

I always upgrade once an upgrade comes out. It can fix some things that we may not know about. The OS is vigerously tested before it is released to the public. I would recommend upgrading.
CEO/Editor In Cheif
www.SmartphoneNation.com

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Most updates counters some bug fixes...as mentioned. Why would someone release an upgrade for nothing...May be look holes are not being visible till now...in future you might lose important data just because of fact that you didn't take upgrade seriously. Moreover, one should consider the type of product or technology he/she is enjoying and whether upgrade is essential or not.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
rstaaf

Well my urge to tinker won.  I did the update and it just completed a few minutes ago.  So far everything looks fine.  I did lose a few settings on 3rd party apps but no big deal there. 

I still would like to see release notes included with updates.  Just doing an update based on blind faith on a device that is working fine to me is not that great an idea especially if you depend on your phone.  How can you be sure the update doesn't also have bugs?  I have been in IT for 20 years and my hesitation is based on experience not some irrational fear.  I have seen updates do more damage than the bug they were supposed to fix time and time again.

Anyway, thanks for the input everyone :smileyhappy: 

Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

rstaaf wrote:

I still would like to see release notes included with updates.  Just doing an update based on blind faith on a device that is working fine to me is not that great an idea especially if you depend on your phone.  How can you be sure the update doesn't also have bugs? 

I would like to see more release notes, too.  
New Contributor
rstaaf

Well I guess I spoke too soon.  I should have listened to my first instinct.  The update seemed to go well with no errors.  I think I have a service book problem.  I first noticed it when I went to applications and noticed several icons missing, primarily the browser.  I am not sure what others are missing at this point.  I have gone into options>advanced options>host routing table and registerd, powered off and removed battery for a good half hour.  When I restarted, no change, still no browser.  

Any ideas on how to fix this or should/can I go back to the original version????

Thanks

Bob 

Contributor
NickfromIL

I would recommend trying to resend your service books again, but leave your device on.  Try going to the email setup icon on the mail menu, and resend service books from there.

It is possible to downgrade you OS, and there are detailed instructions available here :  How to downgrade you OS

http://www.blackberryboards.com
http://wiki.blackberryboards.com - FAQ
New Contributor
rstaaf

From what I can tell I was missing both the Browser and Email Setup.  I still think there was at least one other icon missing but I am not sure which at this point.  It appeared that anything having to do with the browser did not function. 

I tried sending service books by options>advanced options>host routing table as well as through Sprint's BIS page.  I tried leaving the phone on as well as pulling the battery. 

I finally wound up using the wipe handset option and then I installed the latest OS and restored from backup.  This seemed to do the trick, I have the latest Sprint OS, the browser and email settings are back.  I had to reinstall my 3rd party apps but that was no big deal as I only have a couple. 

It was late last night when I got this far so I have not really had a chance to thoroughly test everything, will do that today but from what I can see so far it appears everything is back to normal.

Again, thanks for all the input it is much appreciated!