Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Synch 9000 with Exchange

A newbie here. New setup with Exchange server at Comcast was finally successful -- i.e., we can synch the BB via USB cable on the computer. It wsa better to have that than nothing. Now that the dust has settled from the switch, how do we make it possible to synch wirelessly? My boss thinks it might have to do w/going somewhere (he's not clear) to change from "synch via computer" to "sync wirelessly".  Thank you for any help?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: PRIV (5.1.1), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Synch 9000 with Exchange

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Can I assume you are a Comcast employee? If so, check if they have BES (Blackberry Enterprise Service)...if so, get rid of everything you've already done and go see your BES admins to activate your BB onto BES.

If they don't have BES and your email is presented to the Internet (e.g., OWA, POP, SMTP, etc.), then you can use BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) to conduct email OTA with your BB. See these instructions:

If that doesn't quite get it (it can be tricky if it's OWA), then use these:

• KB03133 How to integrate a Microsoft Outlook Web Access email address with a BlackBerry Internet Service account
  • KB10154 How to integrate a POP or IMAP email account through advanced integration

Note -- only with BES will you be able to do more than email OTA. BIS only allows for email OTA...all other items must be synchronized via USB tether:

• KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization
  • KB17022 How to configure synchronization settings for BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Good luck and let us know!

Get your 15% discount at ShopBlackBerry.com! Click Here for details.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.
New Contributor

Thank you sdgardne, for such a quick and extensive reply, but no I am not a Comcast employee. Just a computer-comfortable admin type who agonized over the technical details for the boss's new phone while previously never having had a smartphone of any kind in my hand. 

Are you sure I have to hunt around for BES or OWA info--that's all built in to Comcast's Exchange Server. The extent of their help with setting up synchronization with Blackberries is to provide the written instructions that I followed, and that's how I ended up here.  

I keep going over your post and the closest thing that makes any sense to me is that I might have to go back into BIS (that comes with the BB, right because otherwise he'd never have been able to send e-mails from it?) Sorry for the ignorance, but I hope I'm asking the right questions.

Hall of Famer II

Well, I really don't yet understand your setup at Comcast...an "Exchange Server" is rarely presented to the Internet and is normally an enterprise (e.g., internal) email solution. If it faces the Internet, it is usually via gateways and OWA (Outlook Web Access) so as to keep the internal server, with all of it's enhanced functions and proprietary data, safe from "outside".

So, please help me some more -- is your boss with Comcast? Or, are both of you outside of Comcast and just using them as an email provider? If so, then Exchange is probably not applicable at all...rather, Outlook as the desktop client would make sense. In which case the service indeed falls into POP/IMAP (whatever Comcast faces to the Internet). Which, in further case, indeed drops you down to configuring BIS to function as the conduit between that Internet facing Comcast email server and the BB.

What might be helpful then is if you provide some sanitized set of the instructions they gave you...don't reveal any personal data, but if what they provided you were server settings (e.g., pop.comcast.com and smtp.comcast.com) along with email account credentials, then indeed we are talking about a BIS configuration.

Lastly...BIS does not "come with" a BB. Rather, it is a service, provided by the carrier, that enables the conduit between internet facing email servers and BB's. Typically, it comes at a cost...generic data plans don't usually provide it...rather, the carriers charge more per month since you are using their infrastructure that is strictly limited to BB users..hence, they can charge a premium.

OK...that's enough for now...let us know a bit more about your configuration and perhaps we can help you out.

Best.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.
New Contributor

1. We purchased Exchange Server service at Comcast as I said; they give us OWA.

2. We all use Outlook as our desktop client.

3. These are the instructions we used, and they were pretty generic. In fact none of us even knew which version of BIS they had, but the connection got made so that was okay.

How do I connect my BlackBerry or Palm Device to my mailbox?

The current versions of BlackBerry Internet Service do not support integrating directly with Outlook Web Access 2007, but you can configure your device to access your Exchange Service as a POP/IMAP account.

• To connect your BlackBerry to your Exchange Service mailbox using BlackBerry Internet Service 2.x

1. Navigate to your BlackBerry service provider's Web site and log on to your account.

2. Click Set Up Account.

3. In the Email Address field, enter your Exchange Service e-mail address, but leave the Password field blank.

4. Click Next.

5. On the Additional Information Required screen, click I will provide the settings to add this email account, then click Next.

6. Select This is my work email account, and then click Next.

7. Under Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), select I will provide the settings to add this email account, and then click Next.

Important If you are using Outlook Web Access 2007, do not select the Outlook/Exchange options, as BlackBerry does not currently integrate with this version of Outlook Web Access.

8. Enter your Exchange Service user name, password, Exchange Service server name , and your e-mail address into the appropriate fields, and then click Next.

9. You should see a message that you have successfully configured access to your Exchange Service. Messages will begin appearing on your BlackBerry device from your Exchange Service.

• To connect your BlackBerry to your Exchange Service mailbox using BlackBerry Internet Service 1.8

1. Navigate to your BlackBerry service provider's Web site and log on to your account.

2. Click Add Account.

3. In the Email Address field, enter your Exchange Service e-mail address.

4. In the Username field, enter your account user name.

5. In the Password and Confirm Password fields, enter an incorrect password, and then click Next.

6. Select the I use an email client such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape, Eudora option, then click Submit.

7. Enter the name of your Exchange Service server name.

8. Enter the port number for the POP (110) or IMAP (143) account into the Port field.

9. In the Password and Confirm Password fields, enter your correct password, and then click Submit.

1. You should see a message that you have successfully configured access to your Exchange Service. Messages will begin appearing on your BlackBerry device from your Exchange Service.

4. As I mentioned the Blackberry is connected to our Exchange Service mailbox via the BIS, because I thought that's what we had to do to now that we purchased the service (I told you none of us are techie here and none of us work for Comcast).  I see no "server settings (e.g., pop.comcast.com and smtp.comcast.com) along with email account credentials" in the instructions.

--- So maybe when I asked Comcast for help synchronizing Exchange Server and the Blackberry, they assumed I knew what Outlook would do and that I knew exactly what I was asking for. I know that Outlook is a "client" application, but I dont necessarily know enough to connect all these dots. 

5. Your comment, "Lastly...BIS does not "come with" a BB. . . ." helps provide the context I needed. So, obviously we have it, otherwise we couldn't have connected to the Exchange Server mailbox.

Thanks.

New Contributor

I forgot to add, we also received these instructions about Outlook, and we did these successfully too:

We use Microsoft Outlook 2007.  To set up Microsoft Outlook 2007 to connect to your Exchange Service mailbox using Exchange AutoDiscover:

1. On the computer’s regular Start menu in the lower left hand corner of the screen, click Control Panel, click Mail, click Show Profiles, and then click Add.
  2. Type a profile name, and then click OK.
  3. Type your name, e-mail address, and your mailbox password twice, and then click Next.
  4. When you get a security prompt, select the Don't ask me about this website again check box, and then click Allow.
  5. When prompted for your Username and Password, use your e-mail address for Username.
  6. Microsoft Outlook 2007 will now discover your e-mail settings and configure itself to connect to your Exchange Service mailbox. Once this is done, click Finish. Then, you can open your new profile in Microsoft Outlook. 

And that's it in terms of instructions we got. So is there one more step missing, or did we do them in the wrong order?? Am I asking the right question?

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Those steps you followed are for setting up a BIS connection for the BlackBerry. With that setup only the email will sync wirelessly. You need to be connected to a BES in order for the rest of the data to sync wirelessly.

This article sheds some light on the differences between the 2

http://cell-phones.suite101.com/article.cfm/blackberry_redirector_vs_bis_and_bes

A BES is usually managed by a company's IT department and after they create your account on the BES they would send you a password to activate your device to begin receiving your data from Outlook wirelessly. On the BlackBerry you would activate it by going to Options | Advanced Options | Enterprise Activation and typing in your corporate email address and the password they they gave you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Hall of Famer II

I concur. While you bought the Exchange service from Comcast, it appears to only provide OWA and not BES. Consequently, you only receive, in BB-speak, BIS-level service...which indeed is email only OTA. Nothing more.

New Contributor

Whoa - that's intense. (sorry for the lag time in getting back to you -- got crazy busy here).

No one mentioned anywhere along the way that we'd have to get BES on top of the services we plugged into.

Now that you know our set up, how do I get his Blackberry to sync his e-mails wirelessly? We can at least get that part going, right?

(Then I've got to do some outside thinking on what to do when he finds out that his calendars and contacts are NOT going to sync wirelessly at all, without the BES. Different management question for elsewhere.)

Thanks

Hall of Famer II

FixEducnGap wrote:

No one mentioned anywhere along the way that we'd have to get BES on top of the services we plugged into.

Hehehe...I can't resist...but...you were talking to Comcast, after all...did you really expect complete, accurate, and consistent (across different reps) information? Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue

FixEducnGap wrote:

Now that you know our set up, how do I get his Blackberry to sync his e-mails wirelessly? We can at least get that part going, right?

In my very first reply in this thread are links for configuring OWA via BIS. If, from the mobile carrier, an adequate data plan has been purchased, then those instructions should work fine. If, however, an inadequate data plan exists (e.g., generic data plans are insufficient -- many carriers call what is needed "The Blackberry Data Plan"), then you have some further challenges with the user -- because they need to go back to their carrier and upgrade (yes, additional $$$ likely) their plan to enable BIS. The quickest way to check is via:

Homescreen > Setup > Email Settings

If only Enterprise is available, then the data plan is inadequate. If Personal is also available, then they already have the proper data plan to enable BIS.

IMHO -- You should also contact Comcast about what they sold you and what you think they sold you -- perhaps we just don't know and BES actually was purchased...in which case all that is needed is for the BES admin (at Comcast, presumably) to activate the BB on their BES and then on the HH. In which case everything would indeed sync OTA. If BES is not available and the only thing going on is OWA via BIS, then you should seriously consider dropping that (assuming that it is more costly from Comcast) and going with just POP. There will be a few differences, which you can evaluate with this KB:

KB05133 Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

Good luck!