If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
ERShotty
My Device: Telus Blackberry Storm 9530

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

[ Edited ]

Well it's still intermittent for me. And that's without Telus Navigator. Luckily, I'm one of those people that have talked to Telus and managed to get Telus Navigator free for 3 months, with the option to renew that free subscription if neither Telus nor RIM release a patch or OS upgrade.

And judging by how quiet this issue has become... I'm definitely not expecting a patch anytime soon. I'm hoping the release of 4.5 for CDMA phones will be soon and the telus version will have a fix. But I'm not holding my breath.

Message Edited by ERShotty on 07-23-2008 11:32 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
toober
My Device: Not Specified

Earlier today there was a post from RIM (FINALLY) where they explained what was going on with this issue (bug has been resolved, a patch will be available for both 4.3 and 4.5, and will be available depending on carrier roll-out schedules - the only thing holding it back is roll-out schedules - the bugs can NO LONGER be replicated with GPS on CDMA).

Now:

"The message you are trying to access has been deleted. Please update your bookmarks."

The original URL was:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&message.id=1422#M1422

Does anyone know what happened to this message?  Does anyone have the full text of the original? Why is RIM leaving us in the dark again after FINALLY doing the right thing and communicating?

Subject:     Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue
Author:    TheOracle (BlackBerry Technical Advisor)
Date:    07-23-2008 10:20 AM

Please use plain text.
Contributor
toober

Update:  A new thread exists, started by RIM:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&thread.id=1435

Please use plain text.
Visitor
WpgRealtor

Hi Guys:

I came here after a couple days of frustration in trying to get the GPS to work on some of the GPS type apps (Like GPSed and GPS Tracker) that I downloaded from the app store.  I just could not get them to work at all on my Blackberry Curve 8330.  I too am on Telus.

After going through all of the posts here looking for an answer to my frustration, somebody mentioned BB Maps in one of their posts.

I found it on my machine and started fiddling with the "Maps" program and I noticed in the menu it has a "Start GPS Navigation" option. I selected that and all of a sudden I have 7 Satellites found and now all the other programs are working as well. 

I hope this is the answer to your problems as well. Best of Luck!

Harry Logan

Please use plain text.
r5a
New Contributor
r5a

Hi All,

I would just like to say that I have a Telus PCS CDMA Curve 8330 in Ontario. I found this thread through Googling and I have been having the same symptoms as people above. I tried a few things

Reloading OS. Clearing caches , downgrading and upgrading, switching to home only.
I had used three or four apps, Google Maps, TeleNav, BBMaps and GPSed they all failed no matter what I did (searching for satallights) like it would not work no matter what. I called Telus and told them to triple check everything on their end, make sure no blocks were in place, that I had the right plans, etc. I am also a Corperate Account with them. They said everything looks ok and I should be working and that they are not sure what the problem is..

I was about ready to call it quits until I had a thought.

I downloaded the Telus Navigator which you can try for 30 days then you are stuck with a 10 mo/fee no matter what unless you call (I am going to all them in 25 days and cancel that) and that fixed it.

As soon as I downloaded, reset the device and ran Navigator once and searched my location it worked.
All the other apps followed suit.Google maps and everything were able to get a lock within 10-15 seconds. 

It's very obvious what's going on here, Telus is blocking ALL applicatons that isn't theres to force you to use the navigator. I'm not sure how legal what they are doing is but I am definatanly going to be contacting the CRTC and seeing what they have to say about that. RIM obvsouly is going to remain silent, they will want to get nowhere near their name on this and they obvously do NOT want to have Telus mad at them or any sort of lawsuit filed against them.

I havn't tried uninstalling and seeing if my GPS works or calling to cancel but I'm willing to bet as soon as I do it will stop working. 

As far as bad batches, I can't speak to that but HOWEVER. My specific dealer just got a bunch of new curves and 2 of them were DOA. So I will let you make your own call on that. Perhaps the Q&A is "slipping" due to the 8900 coming out to "replace" the Curve?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

r5a wrote:

It's very obvious what's going on here, Telus is blocking ALL applicatons that isn't theres to force you to use the navigator. I'm not sure how legal what they are doing is but I am definatanly going to be contacting the CRTC and seeing what they have to say about that. RIM obvsouly is going to remain silent, they will want to get nowhere near their name on this and they obvously do NOT want to have Telus mad at them or any sort of lawsuit filed against them.

First thing is to read your contract with Telus and see if they have written somewhere that they are not allowed to block features offered by your mobile phone device. I do not really see why they would not have the right to do that.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
r5a
New Contributor
r5a

Xandrex: It's very unethical of them to block any application that isn't theirs that uses features that are advertised as "being free" as long as your device supports it. Moreover, you and I both know full well most people will not take the time to look around for alternative GPS applications beside seeing "Download GPS Navigator" on the home screen, blocking everything but that to ensure they are lured into an additional and unnecessary service charge cash grab is disgusting. Maybe not illegal but certainly frowned upon and I will make a big stink about it.

It's total bull**bleep** to be honest. They are advertising and promoting free GPS on their network as long as your device supports it which as advertised as on their site the curve does. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
BobcatBoy

I had spoken to a very forward rep at telus, who read me an internal memo, of which I can't recall all of it, since it has been a few months when he told me about this.....

Basically what telus did was turned off the AGPS ( Assisted GPS) in which BB uses the cell tower ID to locate the genral area where the BB is, and the known GPS of the tower locations,  They disabled this feature knowing that it would cuase this issue.  The rep was having the same problems on his BB, and looked into the problem where he came across the internal memo.  This started about April - May of 2008.

I have the storm with BB maps working now, and Google will not work, UNLESS you switch the phone to GSM mode, then it works, and you can switch it back to EVDO/CDMA and google keeps a GPS lock.  It does loose the signal, Not sure what cuases it, but it seems as if it does this after you make a phone call. ( possibly updating the  service books?  cuasing gps to not function.?  Idea only)

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

r5a wrote:

Xandrex: It's very unethical of them to block any application that isn't theirs that uses features that are advertised as "being free" as long as your device supports it. Moreover, you and I both know full well most people will not take the time to look around for alternative GPS applications beside seeing "Download GPS Navigator" on the home screen, blocking everything but that to ensure they are lured into an additional and unnecessary service charge cash grab is disgusting. Maybe not illegal but certainly frowned upon and I will make a big stink about it.

It's total bull**bleep** to be honest. They are advertising and promoting free GPS on their network as long as your device supports it which as advertised as on their site the curve does. 

it is not unethical, it's just industry. All carriers do those kind of things, until the day one will say "hey, we do not block the XXX feature of your device, come an get a subscription".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.