Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

Contributor
javatyger
My Device: Curve 8330

Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to see if I can get some offical repsonses from RIM or a BlackBerry rep as many people on the Telus network who purchased the new BlackBerry Curve 8330, are having the same issue regarding BlackBerry Maps not aquiring GPS lock. I've been chating about this with several other people having the same problem on CracKBerry. The forum this is been discussed in is located here.  This is extremely frustrating and I feel that Telus is intentionally blocking the BlackBerry Maps app so they sell their Telus Navigator application.

I hope that someone here can shed some light here, and please post here too if you are experiencing the same problem. I never had this problem when I had my Pearl 8130, and since upgrading to the Curve, I cannot use the app for anything other then locating street addresses, but cannot aquire a GPS lock on the several times I have tried. Please post here if you are from Telus and are experiencing the same problem so we can track this on an 'officical' BlackBerry forum thread.

Thanks.

-- Lonnie (aka javatyger)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tmehmel
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Telus BlackBerry Curve 8330 BlackBerry Maps issue

Hey there Lonnie,

I just got mine on Thursday and you are exactly right about that.  If you want it you have to pay telus $10.00 a month to get the  program that they offer.  I found that out before I purchased it.  The clerk that sold me mine directed me to Google mpas which works but it isn't voice directions.

Terry 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
alrenner

Hey there.  I have an 8330 from Telus that says, "Unable to acquire GPS lock" as well.  The situation here though is that this is now my second Curve in a month.  The first Curve that I had worked perfectly.  I have tried about fifteen other Curves at the store that I work at, and my old one is the only one that allows the GPS to work.

I thought it might just be a setting, but after going through EVERY setting on the phone, they are identical.  Obviously Telus has locked out the newer releases of the phone.

I phoned Telus to enquire about this.  My reasoning is as follows:

1) the phone is advertised as having GPS capabilities.  I therefore believe that it should be available to us.

2) the old phone worked.  At Telus's request, I swapped out for a new one due to hardware issues.  Therefore, the precedent has already been set with a confirmed working model.

3) I am on a business plan with Telus.  My business is GPS tracking and mapping.  Therefore, it is crucial that these features work for me.  I will gladly switch (and take all 25 of my employees with me) to a carrier which actually supports the features they advertise.

I have logged a ticket with Telus on how to unlock the GPS.  I will keep this thread posted.  If anyone would like to check the status, the ticket number is 4967991.

Pin me if you have any insight or questions!

pin: 3023935a

Al

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tmehmel

Hey there Al,

As I am a novice with my "Curve", could you give me a hint on how to get to that ticket number and read what is there?  The availability of GPS was a ploy on Telus's part as then you have to buy their program at $10.00/monh is what I determined.  Just another ploy to get money out of us.  The phone should read "GPS' available at an extra cost.  When I was checking the curve out at Christmas I spoke to Rogers and they said that one could get the GPS with their phone at no extra cost.  Please let me know what you find out because if they give you a break they have to do it for everyone me thinks.

Ter 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
alrenner

To check the status of the ticket, just call *611.  Then get to talk to someone in Technical Support.  Ask them for an update on the ticket.

It is my hopes that enough people will phone in to enquire about this ticket that Telus will get the point.  This is complete BS.  Especially since I know for sure that it is possible on the phone free of charge.

I absolutely agree that EVERYONE should get this feature for free.

I am on an unlimited plan with all the bells and whistles.  I pay a hefty sum every month.  Meanwhile, I know tons of people on Pearls who have the bare bones minimum plan, and Telus allows them to have the GPS free of charge!!!!

WTF????

Al

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tmehmel

Hey there Al,

Right on, you'll never get an argument from me.  I've been with them for years and they were trying to nickle and dime me and I told them I'd go elsewhere and they gave in finally.  Do some reasearch in the US and see how they get treated and then check us out,.  Typical Candians we give in to the mega powers instead if standing up for our rights.  They're more worried about the shareholders than the customers that they have, crap, we feed them and the're not losing money either, just check their share.  I agree, WTF.

Ter 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
alrenner

Ter,

I just hope that this thread goes somewhere!  It's not just the mapping feature.  This is indicative of Telus in general.

If we can set a precedent here with the mapping.  Meaning that they unlock the GPS and admit that they shouldnt have locked it in the first place.  Then we can go and get all the features like MMS unlocked and functioning as well.

I am sure there are many things that don't work on the phone due to Telus.

So from here on in, I say....

WTF!

Al

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tmehmel

Hey Al,

Right, WTF, I agree.  Now as I am rooky, I know what GPS stands for but what's MMS?  If it's instant messaging, I've got that figured out and web browsing with what ever you want and not just where Tels wants you to go.  I know that the phone has so many features that we aren't even aware of and that telus doesn't want us to learn about.

Thanks for being helpful with an old rookie Al :smileyhappy:.

Ter 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
alrenner

MMS is Media Messenging Service.  It allows you to send picture and video text messages. 

I can browse pretty much anywhere as well.  The only limitations are what pages actually support the BB browser.  For ones that don't, Opera Mini is usually the answer!!

Glad I can help!

WTF

Al

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tmehmel

Hey there,

Thanks again, you have been a trmendous help all along and anything new I learn I enjoy.

Blessings,

Ter 

Please use plain text.