Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
ellmac
My Device: 8520

Total contacts differs in Outlook to Blackberry

I noticed on my BB that a few of my contacts were missing and I have been trying to find out why.  In order to make my BB and outlook the same I exported all my outlook contacts into a spreadsheet and then all my BB contacts into a spreadsheet.  I then compared the two spreadsheets.  About 30 errors were found (missing ones from both lists....).  I then updated the outlook spreadsheet to get it correct. 

I then turned off wireless syncronisation on my blackberry and deleted all my contacts.

I then deleted all my contacts from outlook. 

I then uploaded all contacts into outlook and made sure the total in the spreadsheet matched the total in outlook. 

I then turned on wireless synchronisation on my BB.  After the sync finsihed I have ended up with about 30 more contacts on my device than in outlook. 

Scrolling through I can see which ones are repeated but cannot figure out why.  There does not seem to be a pattern in the duplications... e.g. like each person mentioned twice has two email addresss \ phone numbers etc.  And I also have no idea if all my contacts have been copied across (I know I could manually check this but I dont really want to!)

Any ideas how I can round the problem? 

I am using office 2007.  BES 4.1.5.24.  My device is an 8520.  v4.6.1.314 (platfrom 4.2.0.135)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Retired
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Total contacts differs in Outlook to Blackberry

Hey Ellmac,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thank you for all the information this helps, so just to clarify your device is displaying 30 more contacts than Outlook? This is not common.

As a test I’d like you to do a wired sync using the BlackBerry desktop software to see if we are seeing the same numbers, this test is helpful because you are synchronizing directly to the contacts database.

Completing the following:

1. Disable wireless synchronization on the Blackberry device
  2. Clear the contacts on the device
  3. Configure the BlackBerry desktop software to sync the contacts one way to the device from Outlook
  4. Synchronize
  5. Right click on your contacts in Outlook and go to properties and select “Show total number of Items”
  6. On the device go to the contacts and press the menu key then go to options and select the Desktop address book and compare the total number with the number in Outlook contacts

Let me know the results.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
ellmac
My Device: 8520

Re: Total contacts differs in Outlook to Blackberry

Sorry its taken so long to respond but wife had a baby earlier than expected so I have been out of the office for a few weeks...  Will test soon and let you know.  Thanks for the response.