Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
JonathanCGroves
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Uncaught Exception on Running Blackberry Messenger

Hello.

Every time I click on the Blackberry Messenger icon I get a warning saying "Uncaught excpetion: java.lang,NullPointerException"

The techie blurb in the lglg log shows:

Name: NullPointerException
GUID: 9c3cd62e3320b498
Time: Mar 23, 2009 09:50:42
No detail message
net_rim_bb_qm_peer-2
PeerConversation
paint
0x792A
net_rim_bb_qm_peer-3
UiCollection
drawListRow
0x900A
net_rim_cldc-10
ListField
paint
0x5421
net_rim_cldc-7
Field
paintSelf
0x2539
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
paintChild
0x4D6C
net_rim_cldc-11
VerticalFieldManager
subpaint
0xC82D
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
paint
0x4D45
net_rim_cldc-7
Field
paintSelf
0x2539
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
paintSelf
0x4D90
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
paintChild
0x4D6C
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
subpaint
0x4FA6
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
paint
0x4D45
net_rim_cldc-7
Field
paintSelf
0x2539
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
paintSelf
0x4D90
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
paintChild
0x4D6C
net_rim_cldc-8
Screen
paint
0x95C7
net_rim_cldc-7
Field
paintSelf
0x2539
net_rim_cldc-8
Manager
paintSelf
0x4D90
net_rim_cldc-8
Screen
doPaint0
0x81E8
net_rim_cldc-9
UiEngineImpl

0xB5D8
net_rim_cldc-9
UiEngineImpl
doPainting
0x9478
net_rim_cldc-9
UiEngineImpl
repaint
0xA558
net_rim_cldc-9
UiEngineImpl
processMessage
0x9FA7
net_rim_cldc-6
Application
enterEventDispatcher
0x5AF
net_rim_bb_qm_peer-1
PeerEntry
start
0x6E52
net_rim_bb_qm_peer-1
Entry
run
0x1C30
net_rim_bb_qm_peer-1
PeerEntry
main
0x70B6

I have tried many battery pulls and soft reboots, and even an upgrade to a later version of Blackberry Messenger.

If anyone has the foggiest idea how to cure this and is prepared to share it with me, I'd be your friend for life.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

PS The forum parser seems to have played with my text before allowing me to submit it - so I hope the data is still valid...

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Uncaught Exception on Running Blackberry Messenger

do you have many contacts ?
if I were you, I'd use the Desktop Manager to backup the BB Messenger database.
then restore it.

see if the problem persists. If it does, then you can wipe that database (then you'll have to invite all your contacts again).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
JonathanCGroves
My Device: Not Specified

André,

Backup and restore solved the problem.

Massive respect.

Very many thanks and kind regards,

Jonathan

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I'm not Brazilian ! my given name is "Alex" :smileyhappy:

Glad you fixed your issue. BlackBerry devices are very fine most of the times. Have a nice day.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
telpochyaotl
My Device: Curbe 8330

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same issue. But When i tried the restore, i got a message saying that one database was not restored, and it was precisely the Messenger database.

i also tried using the 'Clear Data' and it fails to complete asking to try it again, which fails as well...

I've tried uninstalling the messenger but it doesn't uninstall...

Anything I can do to force clearing or uninstalling, or better yet, fix the issue?

I also get the NPE when restarting the device, I'm assuming it is about the same thing.

This started happenning after an upgrade to 5.x

Please advise!

Thanks!

carlalmo
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8500

[ Edited ]

Hi, i have the same problem, always I click my black berry messenger appear the following exception: "java.lang.nullpointerexception" it occurs after I update the operative system to the new version 5.0.0.592....could some body help me...

thanks!!!!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

carlalmo wrote:

Hi, i have the same problem, always I click my black berry messenger appear the following exception: "java.lang.nullpointerexception" it occurs after I update the operative system to the new version 5.0.0.592....could some body help me...

thanks!!!!

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!!

There's pretty much no diagnosing those -- they are the equivalent of the random errors in Windows for which tracing the root cause is fruitless. Basically, these are the last out in the programming code -- some event occurred for which there is no handler in the code. The fix is a code update that handles the event...but, again, knowing what the event is is pretty much impossible. So, there are a few things to try:

Sometimes, the code simply becomes corrupt and needs to be refreshed -- just like a reboot:

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

There might be an updated code set from the carrier -- check them via this portal:

The toughest possible cause is a badly behaving app. To find it, there are a couple of options. One is to see if you can read the log file:

Go to the home screen. Hold down the key and type 'lglg'. (You will not see anything while you type).This will bring up the log file. Scroll down (probably many pages) untill you see a line that says 'uncaught execption'. Click on this line. The name of the app will be in the info.

The other method is to remove apps one at a time, waiting a while in between (I usually recommend a week), until the problem ceases...thereby discovering the offending app.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
mareen
My Device: 8520

Thank you very much for your posting here. 

I was not optimistic about being able to solve this by myself but your solution did the trick for me!

jakoby4204
My Device: .

Re: Uncaught Exception