Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Device software

New Contributor
SteveGarvey
My Device: 8830
My Carrier: Verizon

Unintentional Disconnect During Software Update -- What Now???

Greetings!

I am sorry to say that my Blackberry 8830 may now be a paperweight from trying to update the software, and I need your collective help.  Here is what happened:

1) Yes, I backed everything up by using Blackberry Desktop Manager.

2) I started the software update process and made sure to include another back-up of everything.

3) Soon after the process started, it hung up for 30 minutes, and since the BlackBerry screen was stuck on "Connecting to Desktop", I jiggled the USB connection a little bit to see if that would help.  I have had intermittent problems in the past probably because the phone is old, and I don't always get a reliable connection (when recharging or tethering). 

4) That worked, and the "Blackberry Device Manager Properties" window showed that the Blackberry 8830 was connected AND the "Updating Device Software" window showed progress as the "Back up" was completed.

5) The next step was "Erasing Applications" as part of the Install process, and that is where the process has been frozen for that last hour and 15 minutes. I fear that the connection failed again, and so the 8830 was inadvertently disconnected during the update.

6) Now, no amount of jiggling will show that I am connected even though the PC knew that the Blackberry was connected ("Driver Software Installation" recognizes a Blackberry smartphone)

7) I have a dark screen, phone off, and the dreaded 2 x red flashing light every 3 seconds that another forum poster mentioned.  :No:

8) I cannot turn my phone on. It is not recognized as a connected device. Obviously the "Erasing Applications" remains frozen at 40%.

I am stuck, and I need help in knowing what to do!!

PLEEEAAASSSE advise!

** Reposted because mistakenly categorized in Blackberry Bold Forum

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
darylm
My Device: NONE
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: Unintentional Disconnect During Software Update -- What Now???

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
SteveGarvey
My Device: 8830
My Carrier: Verizon

Quick update that even though the Verizon personnel -- face to face in the store and Tier Two technical support -- said that my phone had turned into a brick and needed a new one with a new contract, I finally got the Blackberry Desktop Software to recognize the phone.  From there, the update picked up from where it left off and finished within an hour.

Since I had backed up my phone prior to the update, I restored my information and the phone was at least 80% back to normal. 

The bottom line?  The 2 x flashing light signal is not the death knell I thought it was, and there is still hope for the phone.  No secrets, just perseverance allowed me to get the phone working again!

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Yeah, getting your phone recognized by BDS is 95% of the battle.

I'm glad things are at least 80% back to normal. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.